Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | Constructing H.F. Wire Antennas by Jerry Bustin, KR7KZ Help

Reviews Summary for Constructing H.F. Wire Antennas by Jerry Bustin, KR7KZ
Constructing H.F. Wire Antennas by Jerry Bustin, KR7KZ Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $14.95-19.95
Description: Excellent book designed for Hams, Shortwave Listeners, Students, and Electronics Enthusiast and for anyone else who has desire to learn how wire antennas work and how to construct them.
More info: http://www.qrz.com/db/kr7kz

You can write your own review of the Constructing H.F. Wire Antennas by Jerry Bustin, KR7KZ.

N2ARG Rating: 1/5 Apr 28, 2013 09:38 Send this review to a friend
This book is a waste  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If I had paid the $19.95 cover price of this book, I would be demanding my money back. I won my copy in drawing.

Of the 75 pages in this book, the first 20 are worth reading. The basic antenna theory is good.

He is fascinated with beverage, rhombic and 'Texas long gun' antennas. If you don't have a huge country lot for your antenna farm, these out of the question. If you can put up a tri-band beam, that would be good. Comparing that beam to a trap vertical or a 1/2 wave dipole would be more realistic and even helpful. Comparing it to an antenna that is almost three football fields long is a bad joke.

He devoted four pages of the book, an antenna book, to converting 8.239436 feet to 8 feet 2 inches using a calculator. Does that belong in a book on constructing antennas?

The experience I gained in 35 years of being a ham, and constructing all of my HF antennas myself during that time, tells me that 8 feet 2 inches is close enough for a 10 meter antenna. How it is supported and how close it is to other objects will have more affect that the last sixteenth of an inch.

I am still trying to figure out how to adjust the ant/load/plate of an amplifier for minimum SWR.

I agree with him about using an antenna tuner, but I think he would have better spent his time on this subject describing how to properly adjust it than to blither about a tuner's "Ohmange" rating.

This book is way over rated.

DV1UBY Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2011 09:10 Send this review to a friend
You really need this book!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really enjoy reading this book. Other ham radio antenna books available sports "a very complicated, and vague" articles but on KR7KZ, OM Jerry you find his book very interesting, simple and enjoyable to read.

One day, another DU ham ask me "Can I photocopy the book? I heard that the articles in the book are excellent!" I said "NO". "You should buy and grab your own copy from the Old Man". "You will not be disappointed."

If you guys want Jerry to write more good articles on his next edition of his "Constructing H.F. Wire Antennas" please support him by obtaining a "original copy" of his book. Look for his call >>> KR7KZ at QRZ.com and ask him about this book.

Still the book is highly recommended to people who wish not to read a "highly technical" antenna book. OM Jerry can help you enjoy your hard earned amateur radio operating privilege by buying this book. This book is a keeper!

Again to OM Jerry, thank you very much! :D

KE7YDQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2010 13:41 Send this review to a friend
You will learn something through this book.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Overall, this was a good book. It taught me some things that I had never considered in the past. While there were some items I had difficulty understanding, I looked up the author's callsign on QRZ.com where he has his e-mail and phone number listed. I gave Jerry a call and he was more than willing to walk me through my questions. How often is it that you get an author who sends his work all over the world, and then takes the time to make sure the reader truly understands the topic. What a nice guy!

My favorite part of the book was where it describes how to determine true gain on an antenna. Using Jerry's technique to figure out what the gain is on an antenna will let you know if you have a stud or a dud when it comes to gain.

For anyone interested in constructing there own antenna, I would say got for it, and buy this book. You won't be sorry.

KI6ZIF Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 23:16 Send this review to a friend
Maybe I'm not a rocket surgeon.....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This book is an excellent read. Perhaps I'm not as smart as W3JKS. But I found info in this book to be ten times more helpful then the 3 ARRL antenna books I already have. And I'll tell you what. I feel stupid for buying them! After all is said and done, I learned more in Jerry's book then I did the 3 antenna books I have. After reading those 3, there's no way I was willing to spend more money on ARRL books that may or may not have the info I need, or really wanted to learn.

Jerry, hats off to you. Your book may not be as thorough as the ARRL books. But to be honest with each other. It doesn't need to be! Your book had info that I didn't even see mentioned in the 3 ARRL antenna books I have. Yet it's info that completely applied to my antenna systems that I am running, and explained why I was having an issue with SWR on one band and not the other 3 I am on.

Thanks again for your book!

KD6CZ Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Very Good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought I knew about antennas until I got this book. I've had wire antennas up for years and they worked ok. After trying acouple of the things in the book, my simple wire antenna is a completly different beast. I'm now able to work stations I didn't know were out there. I have several other books on antennas, but Jerry's book is written in English, not in some engineering double talk that you have to decipher to understand what the hell they're talking about.
Thanks Jerry!

W6OLA Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2010 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Great reference to have!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a simple, easy to read and understand book covering the deep subject of antennas. No need for a degree to understand the book. It served as a great reminder to me and gave me information on subjests I was lacking. The chapter on "Finding the Velocity Factor" was a shot to the old brain. I had a long run of coax and just relied; as many hams do, on my tuner to do the heavy lifting. Using the information in that chapter alone was worth the price of the book. Also helpful to me in my CC&R community was the chapter on "Gain in Real Time and how to test it". Helped to "tweek" my stealth antenna.

W3JKS Rating: 2/5 Apr 27, 2010 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Save your money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nothing new in this book, certainly not $15-20 worth! Read the HF antenna sections in the ARRL or (better yet) RSGB Radio Handbooks and you will get more information. Or, better yet, an antenna handbook from either of these organizations. Or join the Antennex website and browse their extensive library.

At 73 pages, mostly cut-and-pasted from (free) military handbooks, this is a waste of money.

Want more information, for $0 -- download a copy of the US Marine Corps Antenna Handbook!

Yikes.

john W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL

KG7RO Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2010 05:22 Send this review to a friend
Wire Antennas Made Simple!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This book is very easy to understand with simple diagrams and text for building wire antennas. You will find yourself wondering why you spent so much time and money on short commercially made HF antennas to get your signal out, when lots wire and baluns can go a very long way.

The chapters are very well explained and very easy to understand - no complicated math or special knowledge to get some extra gain out of your antenna system.

Jerry has a great sense of humor and years of practical knowledge as you will find thoughout the pages to keep the reader interested to read more.

If you are a QRP operator, this is great reference material. Good for portable antenna setups for camping and field day operations.

DV1UBY Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2009 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Straight-forward, no non-sense wire antenna book  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The shipping is so fast --- WOW!. Jerry Bustin, KR7KZ is very serious in terms of dealing with International clients like me.

The book is a straight-forward, easy to understand, no-nonsense wire antenna book.

Each chapter is neatly explained and intended for Hams, students and electronic enthusiasts...no need go more on the theoreticals and "riddle-like" antenna articles that can be found most on other antenna books. No more antenna theory riddles to break.

Jerry's book is definitely recommended for those people who want to get their HF wire antennas be erected in no time.

People usually judge the book by its cover. They don't know that the rest of the information comes from the Author's 40 years of experience in field testing antennas [plus friends].

This early morning I started constructing two of his designs [folded dipole and vertical dipole] and followed the intructions based on the book. Now I worked more DX stations [and I believe I got a better antenna now without shelling thousands of pesos for a radio signal radiator/accumulator or antenna].

I'm glad I saw this book on the net and really enjoyed reading this book. For me, the book is highly recommended. I enjoyed reading the book on its entirety.

Thank you Jerry, KR7KZ for imparting your expertise to us! 73 and Mabuhay! :D