Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: Traffie Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: Traffie
Hexbeam: Traffie Reviews: 81 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1129.
Description: model HX-5B
More info: http://www.hexbeam.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: Traffie.

N5WJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2014 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Did a review awhile back when I first bought this antenna.. Had it on a 2" pole up about 10' for about 2 months.. Just got it up on my tower today and wow it is a amazing.. Hearing so many dx stations with it up at about 50'... It worked great a even 10' but is more like amazing at 50'... It replaced my 3 Ele. SteppIr which was hit by lightning about 4 months ago.. and I think it is every bit as good as that antenna... The Traffie is a little more than the other Hex Beams but the materials used are first rate and the service from Mr. Mike Traffie is even better.. Can't go wrong with this antenna...

73's Frank.. N5WJ

W7VI Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2014 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna, Great Company, and well Engineered  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have own 3 Hex-Beams for the past10 years. My 1st was his HXL-6 ser no 06 my 2nd was the HX20 cut for CW and my 3rd was the HX5Bi. All are great antennas. I purchased all 3 when I lived in NV. Now I have moved to Eastern Washington and have all three up a running. These antennas have been through quit a lot as for as wx goes from rain, ice and snow plus winds up to 80 miles per hour and they stood the test of time. Mike is also great to work with and ready to help in any way.
These antennas are the best I have ever owned and with the purchase of these antennas I have not bought any antennas for 10 years. Except an OCF dipole for 30,40 and 80.
All Mikes antennas are still in spec. low SWR and great front to back and outstanding side rejection.
If you want an antenna that works and requires little or no maintenance buy a Traffie HEX-BEAM will not be sorry!! I just wish Mike would make a 30 40 Meter Hes Beam.
Tnx's Mike !!!
Steve/W7VI

K6RIM Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Happy Camper!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My experience with this purchase was superb from the beginning: order placement, Mike's willingness to answer questions, excellent written instructions for assembly of the hexbeam and superior product quality.

At my old QTH, I had enough room for a large log periodic. Not so at the new QTH. I wanted a beam that had good gain and F/B, but that would fit on a small lot without towering over the house in a way that attracted negative attention from neighbors. While no beam is invisible, the Traffie hexbeam has the smallest footprint and the least visual impact of anything of which I'm aware. Yet it is a serious directional antenna with decent gain and F/B.

As others have noted, SWR is low across all five bands, completely eliminating any need for an antenna tuner.

I went to some length to reduce the visibility of the antenna system: As delivered, the spreaders of the Traffie hexbeam are white. I painted them dark gray. And I chose a (dark gray) Force 12 low profile tower.

Immediate neighbors, of course, noticed the antenna system, but - so far - no complaints or daggers. Just a bit of conjecture, accompanied by laughter, as to whether I was trying to communicate with aliens.

Sure, there are beams that outperform a hex - but they require more real estate, service and they involve far greater expense.

For my station on a small lot, The Traffie hexbeam is a perfect solution and I am a happy camper.

W9TVX Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2014 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Extremely Well Engineered  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the Traffie Hex-beam up for a couple of weeks, and I can't overstate how delighted I am with this antenna. I had considered a broadband hex-beam ala a K4KIO; however, I simply didn't have enough room for the additional wingspan of the antenna.

The Traffie antenna is by no means cheap; however, it is exceedingly well engineered and a joy to assemble. All the parts are very high quality, and the design is well thought out and is quality through and through. If you want a top notch antenna, then this is the one, and in my humble opinion it is worth the asking price

Assembly took about 3 hours. It does require a set of helping hands mostly to help attach the elements to the spreaders. The instructions are very precise and easy to follow and everything just fits together. The end result is a very balanced and, dare I say, visually pleasing antenna.

Prior to the hex beam, I was using a Steppir BigIR vertical antenna. To be fair, due to lot limitations, the antenna is not mounted in the ideal location, and the ground radials (42 of them) had to be routed in creative ways around the property. Having said that, I have had some great success with this antenna (and I will continue to use it as a backup, as well as on 40 & 6 meters).

The hex-beam, has taken things to another level. To be fair, it is mounted in a much more ideal location than the BigIR (I have mine mounted up at 35ft on a 4.5ft Glen Martin roof mounted tower. It is being rotated by a Yaesu G450A rotator.) Despite this fact, there is no doubt that having a beam antenna makes all the difference in the world. I am able to both hear and communicate with stations that I have not been able to hear in the past. Whereas I would have to work much harder to get through a pileup or "reel in" a station, things are just so much easier with the hex-beam. I have switched back and forth between the Steppir and the Traffie and difference is jaw dropping.

In summary, this is an amazingly well built antenna that provides a directional antenna in an exceedingly small footprint.

AI4JU Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2014 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Working the world without a megastation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Traffie Hex 5 Hex-Beam approximately 13 years. When I first acquired it during the last sun cycle, I had it on a tripod on the roof at 35 feet. And I was working the world on all bands from 20 to 10 meters! But, when the bottom fell out of HF on the new cycle, I found that I could only work a maximum of 6500 miles. I decided to dismount the antenna from the tripod on the roof. I installed the antenna on top of my 40 ft tower. The base of the antenna is 55 ft above ground and 65 feet above tidal salt water and is approximately 40 ft away from the salt water. After installing the antenna on my tower, I was not only able to work the world in so called "poor conditions", my antenna was performing on par with the "mega stations" monobanders running 1500 watts. In fact, I was beating them on the long path to Europe and Africa from Florida on 20 meters and 17 meters running about 500 watts.
When comparing Mike Traffie's Hex Beam to local "broad bander hex beam" stations, I have often been able to work long distance which they could not. I believe that this is due to the lower take off angle. Additionally, the footprint of the Traffie Hex 5 is so much smaller than its competitors. I am not aware of any other commercial Hex Beam that I could have installed on my property without encroaching on my neighbors'. The quality is superb; I have not experienced any deterioration from the hostile salt water conditions. My Hex Beam survived 120 mph hurricane winds during Hurricane Charlie with NO DAMAGE.... I wish I could have said the same for the rest of my property.
I consider this Traffie Hex 5 antenna the best of all of the hex beams that I have seen. The price reflects the superior quality of the materials, but it is worth it as the antenna will last for your lifetime. I rate this 5+ out of 5.
To see how to install this hexbeam on a tower with a hazer so that it can be rapidly brought down to ground level as well as other photos of the Traffie Hex 5, visit my webpage (ai4ju) on qrz.com.
Hope that you have as much fun as I do with the Traffie Hex 5 Hex-Beam.

NA6D Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2013 19:18 Send this review to a friend
All I can say is, it works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Spent a lot of time researching different small beams for my backyard, a lot of trees there, etc, and did not want to create trepidation and angst in the neighbors minds by putting up a big tower and beam with a large boom. After some time, I decided to purchase the Traffie 5 band antenna. More expensive than the others, but wanted to be done with the situation. I called Mike Traffie, who is a really nice gentleman and ordered #686. When it arrived, I had a friend help me put it together. Only took a couple of hours. Put it up to 30 ft. with a Yaesu 450 rotor. We trued it up to north, then turned it towards Asia.

Checked the SWR, and was acceptable, but higher than I wanted, about 1:4 to one one the extreme lower portion of the CW bands, but no big deal.
As soon as I listened on 12M, in the span of 30 minutes, I worked Hong Kong, Phillipines, Taiwan, Korea and several others and got through on the first call! I thought I was dreaming! Using 100W, I was able to work these stations that I could barely hear on my all band doublet at 50 ft.

These are my first impressions, since I have had the antenna for less than two weeks. What really stands out for me is the hex beam is very, very quiet, much more so than the doublet. I am going to put it through it's paces, and will report subsequently on my experiences with this antenna.

In summation, this antenna rivals a big tower at 60 ft. and a big 3 element beam I had years ago at another QTH. With the antenna, rotor, feed line, mast, I have less than 2K invested in what appears to be the most pleasant surprise I have experienced in over 50 years as a ham. Mr. Traffie, you "done good!"

N5FW Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2013 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I did not want to write a review before using the beam for some time, but performance is incredible(with a height of only 22ft because of HOA restrictions). Mike is a great guy to work with, I talked with him several times before ordering. No problems putting together by myself either. I was able to work Clipperton on all 5 bands through the pileups--not too bad. I have worked 121 countries since install, with only very casual operating. If I could get the antenna higher it would be much better. As far as broadbanded the Traffie beam is flat across SSB portion of all but 17 with about 1.4 to 1 there. Are there better beams, sure, but not for my QTH and restrictions.

W7XV Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2012 14:05 Send this review to a friend
RATES A SOLID 10 IN MY BOOK!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THIS IS THE BEST ANTENNA I HAVE USED. IT WAS EASY TO ASSEMBLE AND IT FITS NICELY IN OUR VERY SMALL YARD. THE ANTENNA IS 29' ABOVE THE GROUND ON PENNINGER MAST. I LIVE IN EUGENE, OR AND HAVE WORKED AUSTRALIA, RUSSIA, JAPAN, SPAIN AND MORE ON LESS THAN 100 WATTS SB. MIKE TRAFFIE IS A DELIGHT TO WORK WITH AND. HE HAS CREATED AN ADVANCE FORM OF THE HEX BEAM THAT WORKS BEYOND MY HIGHEST EXPECTATION.
73'S W7XV. MARVIN.

K6HJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2012 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Still fantastic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned mine for at least 10 years (serial number 188). Have never needed to repair or adjust it, and when you call Mike to ask about routine maintenance he says "put RF through it". Only work done on it was to replace 100 feet of coax...and that was not necessary (no change after replacing it).

I'm now at 257 DX entities and still working at it.

73, Herb K6HJM

KD7OED Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2012 18:38 Send this review to a friend
8 Years and Counting  Time owned: more than 12 months
First the bad news: This Hexbeam is relatively expensive (but you already knew that, and there isnít any other bad news).

Now the good news: HX5Bi #333 arrived on schedule only a few days after I placed the order. The directions were clear and it went together without a hitch Ė this was a real pleasure as it took only an afternoon to get it on the air (even counting the time it took me to paint the spreaders in a neutral gray color). Wanting to get it operational as soon as possible, I initially skipped the tower installation and mounted it only 5í off the ground on an old pipe (my neighbors thought it was a clothesline). In that location I was able to work Africa, Asia, Australia and Europe barefoot on phone even in the waning stages of solar cycle 23, and with some negative interaction from a nearby chain link fence.

As others have said, Mike is a real pleasure to work with (not only during the original purchase but also when I accidentally damaged the unit last year and needed a couple replacement parts). Your station is only as good as your antenna system, and many of us donít have the time to spend building things from scratch any more (we would rather spend more time operating and less time tinkering). I've had this unit for more than 8 years and am still as happy as the day it first went on the air. If you are looking for a decent performing lightweight and compact antenna that stands up to severe winds and goes together painlessly, bite the bullet and buy one from Mike Ė you wonít regret it!!