Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: Traffie Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: Traffie
Hexbeam: Traffie Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1129.
Description: model HX-5B
More info: http://www.hexbeam.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: Traffie.

N4EES Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2012 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Great small space antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Traffie Hex Beam is smaller than the others, and made with much better quality materials...worth the extra cost. At low power, it loads and works beautifully on 30m and 40m...an extra bonus. Mine is only up 28 feet, and I made DXCC QRP in 8 months with it. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

N9TLU Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2012 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Works GREAT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally got the chance to get at this newest antenna project. Quality is the first word that comes to mind. The entire build took less than 2 hours with the help of another local HAM. Everything went together just as the instructions stated and the parts are top notch! Again, the word QUALITY comes to mind. The highest SWR I can find is 1.3 on 20 meters. Everywhere else throughout the 5 bands is PERFECT! I couldn't believe my eyes when I first put it on the air. The signal difference between my dipoles and the Hexbeam is always 3 to 5db. I rarely need to turn on my amp now. Yes, it's a bit expensive, but you really do get what you pay for. Just put it together and that's it! It works!! NO adjustments necessary! I just worked a KP2 station on 15 meters that I couldn't even hear on the wires!

VE1MC Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2012 08:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellant Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First & foremost...fast & courteous service. SWR flat on all bands, lightweight, easy to install, handles KW without a problem. Have had yagi's in the past, however am very impressed with the quality and ease of construction with the Traffie product. Supplied instruction manual very easy to follow. I am only a few miles from the ocean & so far the wind & wet wx has not been an issue. Highly recommend this antenna. Mine is installed on a 4 1/2 foot mini tower on my garage & am very pleased with the preformance.

W4ABF Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2012 10:36 Send this review to a friend
The Best for my QTH  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are looking for a directional antenna with nice gain and have limited space to work with, I recommend the Traffie HexBeam. I pushed mine up on a ROHN 9H50 telescoping mast. I used this post as it ships UPS (less expensive than freight on the other ROHN masts) and the sections are shorter (and IMO stronger as a result). It does require 5 sets of guy wires though. I used UV resistant polyester covered Kevlar line from www.radioworks.com. I installed it by myself but I recommend two if you have a helper available. And don’t pick a windy day as the mast is unsecured until fully extended (unless you have a person at each guy line). It’s harrowing enough on a calm day. I mounted a Yaesu 450 rotator (4’ above the ground) and Yaesu thrust bearing (near the top of the post) on a 4x4x12’ treated post sunk 3’ and cemented in the ground. The base of the beam is 38’ up putting the 20M elements at 40’ or so. From what I’ve read this seems to be about the optimal height. I had it at 12’, then 20’, then 28’ and it just got better at each new height. I haven’t heard my tuner (LDG 1000 Pro) working at all across the SSB and digital mode (PSK, etc.) frequencies at this height. I don’t work CW so I can’t comment on that except to say the Traffie tunes well across each band at 12’ as that is where I first tested it – from one end of the band to the other. It just got better farther from the ground. I am working the world with it now. The Hex is quiet with decent forward gain (at least 2 S units over similarly oriented wire at 50’ with the same station) and good FB rejection; so far it seems to be about 4S units on average but I’m still experimenting with it so don’t take that number to the bank. I sometimes hear things on it that my wire at 50' (ZSBKW version of G5RV) misses completely. In particular, I worked HI twice one day and I’ve never made contact with any station from there, nor could I copy them that day on my wire antenna (similarly oriented) as they were covered by the noise and 2-3 S units down. I recently helped a local ham push up one of the commercially available ‘improved broadband’ designed HexBeams and found it required 2 men to get it mounted to the mast. It’s heavier and larger – very unwieldy IMO. And we broke one of the spreaders with very little pressure applied. The Traffie beam I bought was used (10 years old) and looked like new. No cracks or splintering of the spreaders and the insulators and hardware looked brand new. These things are built to last. The new Traffie uses even higher quality spreaders than the one I have (thus the higher cost). Assembly (once you figure out what it is to resemble) is a snap, taking less than 2 hours. I think that if I had to assemble it again it would take about an hour. The ‘improved broadband’ design of the larger HexBeams are compared to the ‘classic’ HexBeam. The ‘classic’ HexBeam that is referenced seems to be a copy of the Traffie design, but is not the ‘original’ as designed and built by Mike Traffie so the comparison is not valid, IMO. I was sold on the quality, size (it only requires a 9.5’ turning radius), and weight (19 lbs.) of the antenna, and the reputation of Mike Traffie. He spent a lot of time on the phone with me – over 4 calls – and I still have not spent a dime with him. I would have ordered one of his but I found a used one for less than ˝ the cost so took a chance and ordered it. I’ll never look back. Would I buy a new one for the current going price had I not found a used one? Without a doubt. With a 30 day money back guarantee and an endorsement by Lew McCoy, you can’t go wrong. Also, if you only need a mono band HexBeam – Mike offers those as well (at a much lower cost).

WB9JOX Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2012 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Quality antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellant performing antenna,up 37 feet.Very easy to assemble and no measuring. Quality #1 in my book.Reason I purchased this antenna ,light weight and turning radius 9 ft. Perfect for my location.Mike designed a great antenna and customer service is just great.

WE1X Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2012 09:32 Send this review to a friend
11 Years es Doing Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Traffie HX-5Bi 5-band 20-10m hexbeam has been in operation for 11 years. As a mini-beam and mounted at 33 feet it has performed well on all bands. It has weathered the elements (sun, rain, snow and ice) exceptionally well over the past decade giving testament to the quality of materials used by Traffie.

The HX-5bi is mounted on a 30 foot push-up mast with the rotor installed at the bottom turning both the mast and antenna. The rotor is mounted on a length of conduit about 2 feet above ground.

This is a really great, well designed antenna that incorporates quality parts. My only concern is pricing. When I bought the HX-5bi in 2001 it was about $730...today $1129.

Harry WE1X

W5RIM Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 05:47 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
I moved from the countyside to the city. In the country i had several towers with very large antennas, 10 element log, quads etc. Moved to a area with home owners association. Stayed off the air for 10 years until i found the TRAFFIE HEX BEAM. Painted the antenna flat black and hid it amoung the trees at 23 feet. UNBELIEVABLE PERFORMANCE----You can hear me work dx every day on 20-17 and 15 meters. COSTS MORE THAN THE OTHERS BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

W6UX Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2012 15:55 Send this review to a friend
A dream antenna for me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In a word: FANTASTIC!

Positively the best antenna I could put up at my QTH. Lightest, and smallest turning radius of any of the commercial Hex Beam designs. Assembled without issues, very fast with a few friends to help. Mine is at 40' on an aluminum pushup mast. Rotator is installed at ground level. You can find photos of it from my QRZ.com bio page.

Going from a typical 57 from SoCal into AK or VP8 with 100 watts using a multiband inverted-v doublet to 59 +10-20dB was a shock! I worked Korea and we both thought we were in the same room. Worked 700 QSOs in the NAQP SSB this past weekend in just 10 hours on 3 bands. This is a dream antenna for me. I can't have a full size beam on a 70' tower. Hands down the next best thing. Absolutely no plans to ever change this out for something else.

Thank you Mike Traffie for putting together an incredible product!

-Jeff, W6UX

K6HJM Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2011 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Great in wind  Time owned: more than 12 months
Southern California had a very, very severe wind storm (Santa Ana winds)with sustained gusts up to 90 mph. Pasadena, CA lost over 200 trees and there still are folks without power.

After the winds I looked at my Hexbeam....no problems, no damage, no nothing. And I got a few new bands today on 10 meters.

Buy it....you will love it!

73 and good DX

W9GZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2011 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely fabulous  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I know some people are worried about the cost of this antenna. Don't be. The antenna is worth every bit of the cost. I have never seen another antenna as well made as this one. It goes together perfect and is truly plug and play. No making connectors and cutting wire. You simply follow the instructions and in no time at all your antenna is ready to mount on the tower. I have both the 5 band and the 6 meter.
Was able to make the final connections to my radio last Sunday and was blown away at the signal. The SWR was well below 1.5 almost everywhere. Folks, this is one fantastic antenna. I cannot comment on other hex beams because I have not seen them. But what I can tell you is that your money is well spent on the Traffie Hexbeam. One other thought. You can spend a lot of money on your radio but if you don't have a good antenna all that money spent on the radio doesn't mean anything. Start with a great antenna like the Traffie hexbeam. You'll be a lot happier when you can hear that DX station. Or better yet, when they can hear you. Thanks, and happey DX. Jon