Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Realistic PRO-2006 (the famous)-Bill Cheek Favorite! Help

Reviews Summary for Realistic PRO-2006 (the famous)-Bill Cheek Favorite!
Realistic PRO-2006 (the famous)-Bill Cheek Favorite! Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $400
Description: Super. I believe it is what they call a "GRE" scanner from Japan. Highly modifiable. Highly regarded by all scanner gurus and BILL CHEEK (God Bless). Without a doubt, the worlds most popular scanner of all time. Great sensitivity and selectivity. Japanese quality throughout. Easy full 800 Mhz. Hyperscan. Many aftermarket accessories for trunking, etc. Hard to go wrong on this one. Tandy did'nt make enough of 'em! A classic!
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Realistic PRO-2006 (the famous)-Bill Cheek Favorite!.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2013 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Perfect in it's limits  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one and no longer, but thought I should chime in. Not much good for public service stuff in 2013. Everyone is going/gone trunked and digital audio. Want that? Lay out big cash. If you find one of these used, cheap and working correctly, you can't go wrong for monitoring hams, military tactical, air, and non trunked non digital users. Stuff most scanners don't cover. It is the best within it's limits which are pretty broad. (But even my trunked scanner is soon to be useless due to digital, and I can't afford the cash layout for that now.) This is a nice unit. Especially at used prices.

ERIEDXER Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2013 05:38 Send this review to a friend
LCD could be better, Great performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this one brand new. I give it a four for its flawless performance on the radio end and general ease of operation, but truth be told at least in my experiences itís not as reliable as some make it out to be, mainly in the display section. Reading other reviews I learned I am not alone. I replaced one faded LCD on mine, and now the replacement is starting to fade away also. I have a Bearcat 9000XLT about the same age as this that was given to me used 10 years ago, and it has needed no repairs at all with performance that is just about on equal with the PRO-2006 with a better, less Radio-Shack-ish (read cheap) feel to its construction, a nicer matrix LCD with alpha capability, and a jogger/tuning dial. Iím not saying donít buy one of these if it will fill your bill, just be prepared that you might be bit with the LCD that sometimes has trouble with the test of time. Thus I wouldnít spend more than $50-60.00 for a used PRO-2006, or look for a 9000XLT that you can pick up used for about the same price.

VE6DO Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 16:55 Send this review to a friend
A Real Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been running my Pro 2006 for 24/7 for years in an Etrunker installation. The only thing that I did to it is make the dimmer button act as a button to turn the display on and off. I leave it in the off position (so as to not burn out the display) and the display is still going strong. Performance .. it is a very good scanner from those years when having a few hundred channels was considered lots. These days .. a few hundred channels would never cut it. It does warm a little warm being on 24/7 but it still just works and works.

G1HQK Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2009 20:15 Send this review to a friend
NICE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had mine a few days now, although several years old it is in great condition and all working fine, managed to pick it up for £45 which for what it is I feel is a bit of a bargain really.
The whole set feels quality, only been using the supplied telescopic whip so far but still able to pull in the normal local signals easily. Looking forward to sticking it on the big antenna in due course and putting it through its paces. This is one to keep.

PE1IOC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2007 01:14 Send this review to a friend
Going and going and going...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the Pro 2006 at a Tandy store in the Netherlands in 1993, new out of the box.
Since then it gave me hundreds of hours enjoyable listening to police, firefighters and so on. I did the 800 Mhz mod and some others, found in the Internet. Running almost 24 hours a day; never had a problem ! It's going on and on and on...
My display faded; a wellknown problem and I will replace it some day.
In the year 2003 police, firefighters, ambulances; they all moved in the Netherlands to digital in the UHF range 380 - 410 Mhz. Full encrypted.
The end of the 2006 ? No; there are still Airbands to listen too!
I hope someday we will have a scanner introduced here into Europe that can read those digital signals called "Tetra" , which is become a standard in Europe. France and Belgium has gone digital in the mean time, Germany will follow around 2010

Best 73's and happy listening !

Tjerk
PE 1 IOC
Vlagtwedde
The Netherlands

N9TRZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2007 15:24 Send this review to a friend
Still tickin'  Time owned: more than 12 months
Is ditto enough after being in use for over 15 years! Oops one complaint - a fading display.

KC5LOC Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2006 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you can find a unit with the Optoelectronics OS-456 Optoscan board installed in it buy it. The board adds CTCSS and computer control via RS-232 interface. The 2006's only downfall is the speaker sound isn't so great but you can remedy that with an external speaker. I also did the easy "expansion" mod to give my unit no frequency gaps. With the advent of more and more trunked systems however this scanner is now a little dated but that shouldn't keep you from getting this excellent scanner.

TOMMYT Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2005 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Classic Scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This scanner is the overall best desktop scanner I ever owned. It does just about everything you can want from a scanner. I have owned one for over 4 years and have enjoyed it greatly. While it is a bit old now as compared to other scanners, it will always have an honored place on my table.

KJ6QB Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2003 16:38 Send this review to a friend
The Best Scanner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say. The product speaks for itself. This truly is the BEST conventional scanner I have ever owned. In fact I have owned two of them. I purchased the latest one brand new in 1991 and have never had any problems whatsoever with it. Very good receiver sensitivity, and all the "Bells and Whistles" one could want.

WA4AOS Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2003 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Great, but could have been better!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just wrote my review of the Pro 2004 and I had about as much to say about the 2006 as the 2004. Having said that, I have duplicated my review of the 2004 below. The major advantage of the 2006 is the faster scan rate and that should be of interest to some folks. However, the pluses inherent in the 2004 may offset the minuses of the 2006. In any case both are excellent units and with a little work either can be improved considerably.

I bought a Pro 2004 for my dad some years ago and after his death, the unit was given back to me. I read what I could about the 2004, 2005 and 2006 on the Internet and decided to buy a 2006 and later sell the 2004. Upon receiving the Pro 2006 and inspecting both the 2004 and the 2006 on the bench, I was disappointed with the PRO 2006. Checking the sensitivity on both units, I found the Pro 2004 to be slightly more sensitive than the 2006. The case of the 2006 is cheap plastic and no internal shielding, as one would expect. This allowed computer clock racket to get into the 2006 while the 2004 never broke squelch setting in the same location. The Display is smaller on the 2006 as well as the knobs. I initially thought the keypad on the 2006 might be better than the 2004 but I ended up taking the 2006 apart and cleaning the contacts due to some oxidation that had managed to corrupt the 1 and 2 buttons on the keypad.
In contrast the keypad on the 2004 is a sealed unit that has excellent tactile response and should be immune to problems that the more open 2006 has. I found some 3Ē Aluminum tape that I was able to cover the inside of the 2006 case with. This allowed the 2006 to operate next to my computer system without racket from the computer getting into the 2006, as was the case initially.
After shielding the 2006 case and rechecking against the 2004, I found both units to be closer in sensitivity in fact they were neck in neck.
Both the 2004 and 2006 are excellent scanners in that they are easy to upgrade and open up. Both have very good sensitivity and good audio. I honestly believe the 2004 to be the better unit with its more professional construction and larger display.
The one problem is that the backlight for the 2004 is no longer available from Tandy, however, it is available for the 2006. I have found a source for a backlight equivalent that is not perfect but is very nice. It just takes a little finesse to change this out. I have already repaired 5 of the 2004ís with new backlights for friends and have given some thought to making a replacement kit available or do this as a service.
The other thing that I have done to all of the 2004ís and 2006ís that have crossed my bench is to remove the resister that allows the display to come on when the dimmer switch is in the low position. This allows the display backlight to either be off or ( on-High ) Obviously, you leave it off when you are not needing to read the display which is most of the time. In ambient light the display is perfectly readable even with the backlight off and not really needed. This should greatly lengthen the display backlight life.
Removing the backlight low level resistor on the 2006 is more challenging unless you are familiar with SMT components. They are very small and a challenge to work with. On the 2004 this is easier to do and can be accomplished in less than an hour.
Other mods for opening up the 2004 and 2006 for additional frequency coverage are well documented and I will not waste more space here going into those mods.
Bottom line. The 2004, 2005 and 2006 are very good receivers. The 2004 is built the way that the 2005 and 2006 should have been. However, with some internal shielding of the 2006, the sensitivity is improved and noise corruption is reduced. I have decided to have 2 Pro 2004ís running as opposed to one fast 2006. I really donít need 400 memories anyway and with a pair of 2004ís, I always have a spare unit should either one ever need my service. I will be glad to offer help with mods for the 2004, 2005 or 2006 or basic information via emailÖ