Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | NAGOYA UT-102 Help

Reviews Summary for NAGOYA UT-102
NAGOYA UT-102 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 0.9/5 MSRP: $21.00 (approx.)
Description: Mini mag-mount dual band mobile antenna

You can write your own review of the NAGOYA UT-102.

ALMULFORD Rating: 0/5 Oct 8, 2015 19:01 Send this review to a friend
BAD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought 2 of these antennas and attached them to the top of my car roof. With just a flick of a finger they would fall over. (should have been first clue) Thinking wow the magnets seem very week, I thought ...well they surely test them to hold on,...WRONG! They both fell off and I did not hear them beating against my car till the small coax broke and the antennas and I departed ways.

Am fighting right now with the place I bought them for a refund but am being told to supply them with a video of this happening. Guess who is not going to get a refund...

N9ZI Rating: 0/5 Oct 1, 2015 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Does Not Work  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does not work at all! - can not work a repeater 12 miles away with this antenna, but can hit it with 2 watts & rubber duck.
Seller did refund my purchase, thanks to them.

KN4SA Rating: 0/5 Dec 23, 2014 16:18 Send this review to a friend
junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Do not waste your money. This is an example of getting what you pay for.

W3AFC Rating: 1/5 Oct 2, 2014 16:37 Send this review to a friend
DO NOT BUY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Reception is good, but SWRs are terrible. Needs about 3 inches added to the whip to hit 1.5:1 at 147 MHz. Resonance point is 175 MHz (1.2:1). SWR is lower when it's on soft surface or in your hand - so why the mag mount? I suspect that the ones here with bad reviews are copies. Mine appears to be a fake.

NW7T Rating: 0/5 Jun 18, 2014 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Turds: UT-102, UT-106 and UT-108  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought and tested the UT-102, UT-106 and UT-108 against my $8 demo from HRO-PDX junk box (Tram 1185-ish). I used my RigExpert AA-600 and used the same adaptors for all except adding a UHF adaptor for my $8 HRO-demo.
Procedure: stick antenna on car roof, drape coax into front seat, scan SWR from 140-470MHz. The coax radiation is HORRID! Moving the coax any amount changes the SWR and resonances radically! None of the UT antennas resonate in the 2m band; resonances about 151MHz, 172MHz and 199MHz. 70cm performance was as bad. Running the cable along the car body for several feet helped SWR some but not frequency.
To verify, testing my $8 HRO-demo last showed resonances in both bands with SWR <1.5 at 2m and <2 at 70cm. Moving the coax made no difference.
I suspect the magnetic base is too small for effective capacitive coupling. The very thing that makes it so sexy may be the very thing that makes it NOP.

WB2UFO Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2014 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Works well for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It must be very variable. Mine works well on both 2m and 70 cm. Low to reasonable SWR across both bands. Magnet holds well at 65mph.
I must just be lucky :-)

M0RIF Rating: 2/5 Jan 4, 2014 12:29 Send this review to a friend
ooops  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So I got this as a second backup antenna while waiting for a new decent quality known brand magmount to arrive. It looks ok, coax and sma plug also ok....magnet sticks...but try to load on 2 metres....swr sky high...fine on 70 cms but forget vhf...so I put my old magmount element on to the base and bingo! Fine on 2 m and 70 cm...so t would seem the wrong length of element! So not a very good buy!Ill see how it goes in use now I have fixed it, my old mini magmount from Moonraker in the UK let water in the coax some where...hope my new Comet magmount is better when it arrives...watch out for a review!

N9CLE Rating: 0/5 Jul 6, 2013 08:51 Send this review to a friend
don't buy it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
O how I wish I would have checked the reviews befor buying it. It doesn't perform any better than the rubber duck on my FT-60, even though I mounted it on a piece of metal about 10 ft. above me. I then tried another brand (?) which I had on my car and looks similiar but has a much stronger magnet, and my signal went from 1/3rd scale and noisy to full scale and full quieting.

AA4MB Rating: 0/5 Jul 1, 2013 15:23 Send this review to a friend
You have to be kidding me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So I had this little 'jewel' delivered to my office today. I went ahead and mounted it and ran the coax into the car. The first thing that I noticed was the chintzy size and apparent holding power of the mag mount. I couldn't see how on earth this would hold to the car body at highway speeds. I went ahead and stuck it on, running the coax toward the front of the car, to give it a bit more support in hope of keeping from coming away from the car body. I didn't have my HT with me, and I couldn't wait to get home and try it out. About a mile into a 65 mile per hour, 25 minute trip home, the antenna came loose and it was caught by the AM/FM antenna. I pulled off of the interstate onto a city street and found a parking lot to pull into. Imagine my surprise when I saw that the magnet was still FIRMLY ATTACHED to the car body, but the plastic base had pulled loose from the magnet!!

I have seen these antennas on sale for a LONG time online on eBay and never once thought to check here for a review. What a walking, talking piece of crap this antenna is. As the eBay retailer (I found out) probably won't refund me, but will instead want to give me another of these fine pieces of Asian engineering, it's going in the trash heap. It was a cheap lesson learned - never again will I buy from a retailer (this company is in the states, too) without checking the reviews here. On *anything.* As far as I'm concerned, any dealer that sells something this shoddy doesn't even deserve a phone call back. buyer beware of these antennas - and any retailer that sells them that you can't physically lay your hands on.

VE7EA Rating: 1/5 May 23, 2013 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Junk.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Don't waste your money. High measured SWR on 2M, unable to measure on 70CM. Cannot click open nearby 70cm repeaters (line of sight) with 4 watts - on 70cm almost a dummy load. On 2M very poor performance. Quite possibly worst antenna I have ever had. At least I got a small length of RG-174 cable and a BNC connector out of it....