Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | ARRL Handbook - all years/editions Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL Handbook - all years/editions
Reviews: 21 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: ARRL Handbooks - all editions/years
More info: http://www.arrl.org

You can write your own review of the ARRL Handbook - all years/editions.

HK3C Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2017 07:38 Send this review to a friend
Valuable Reference  Time owned: more than 12 months
Beautifully updated, the 2018 edition is an outstanding, fresh rewrite of our beloved Handbook.

Bravo Zulu!

KA2DDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2017 17:11 Send this review to a friend
Superb 2018 Handbook  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you haven't gotten your ARRL 2018 Handbook yet, do it soon. It's the best this OM has seen. And, the supplemental software will appeal to many of you.

Regards,
Larry KA2DDX

ZENKI Rating: 3/5 Dec 30, 2010 16:40 Send this review to a friend
OK needs a refreshing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like handbook, however the "rehashed"nature of new yearly version makes it a poor buy. The ARRL is the only publishing company that needs to publish " a reference " book every year. If it was such a good reference it would not need a new edition every year!

What I would like to see is the approach used by the ON4UN low band DXing handbook. That is you that approach an expert ham or other professional who mentors and adopts a chapter. These individuals would be considered experts in their field for each chapter in the handbook. You would know who these people are so you can email and contact them for additions and corrections. The ON4UN handbook follows this principle and thats why its considered a bible. It keeps revising each chapter with latest updates and corrections. We see the same lame errors in each successive edition of the handbook that never gets corrected.

How about a Wiki for the handbook? It would be a good feedback mechanism for improving and fixing the errors in the Handbook.

If I want an electronics reference I would buy University textbooks. The ARRL is kidding itself thinking that its handbook is accurate and in the same league as most electronics texts. Its too outdated and behind in technology, and contains too many errors.

The RadioHandbook by Orr is a better and more concise reference. The vast amount of data in this handbook is correct.

I dont mind paying the money each year for the ARRL handbook, they just need to deliver and update their material. There is no excuses for the errors that we typical see in the handbook.

KC8LTL Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2010 10:18 Send this review to a friend
Updated classic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all, the ARRL Handbook is one of the best deals out there for technical information about our hobby. The chief significance for the 2010 edition is not the new projects, but rather a more approachable tone. While I recognize quite a bit of material from my 2000 and 2006 versions still there, this new version would be easier to digest for newbies.

That said, it does have some weaknesses. First of all, our hobby is so huge that not everything is covered as well as we may like. Much is farmed out into the ARRL Operating Manual, Antenna Book, and Digital and Microwave books. There is also quite a bit of stiff competition from the Internet.

When I was looking for information about setting up a Packet station, the Handbook had little. I actually found much more information (admittedly out of date) in my eleven year old _Now You're Talking_. More up to date information was available on the Internet, and I eventually found out where to look for it.

I do a bit of Portable QRP HF operation, and so when I look at information about this in the handbook, I also find the information to be quite minimal. Again, the Internet has quite a bit of good information available.

As I said in the beginning, I recognized many of the projects from previous Handbooks. While I would strongly recommend that Hams buy A Handbook, I see no reason to get one every year. On the other hand, for a new ham, I would very much recommend the 2010 version over any of the older ones.

Yes, some of the projects are a bit old. Yes, sometimes it is difficult to find parts mentioned. On the other hand, the same can certainly be said about the Internet as well. The ARRL Handbook is at least maintained, unlike some web pages. And the base technical information offered is sound. unlike some of the garbage out there on the internet.

It is my hope that now that the Handbook "frame" has been updated to be more approachable, that the next few handbooks would concentrate on updating the projects as well.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Nice book to read!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is not a great book. Indeed it is a gigantic one! I have the hardcover version. The included CD rom contains the whole book. That's very convenient... sometimes it is faster to search in the CD sometimes I prefer to use the book... This book will last centuries... about the content... there is a lot to read... I have read here and there... it seems to me very clearly written... the content is introductory to the topic... sometimes another specific book is worth to read after that you have read the chapter which is by the way introductory... next time I will buy the British book which looks also very well written. The ARRL book is by the way cheaper and gigantic!

KA2DDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2009 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Job ARRL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When you can buy an engineering reference, hard covered, printed on quality paper, for under $150, you've gotten a deal. No complaints whatsoever. College textbooks of the same caliber cost a ton in comparison.$60 list price is a deal by any standard. I enjoy mine when I need it, as I need it. That is what a reference is for.

N1OU Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2009 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Reference  Time owned: more than 12 months
WA2SOC is spot-on versus the anonymous ranting prior. The Handbook is a REFERENCE. The League issues it yearly, updating both technical and project content. Years that are close to each other are apt to be pretty similar. Thus, I recommend buying a new one based on your need for new technical content (e.g. new devices).

The Handbook is a favorite basic reference for just about everything electronic. It usually satisfies my information needs and, if I need more, I go on line or use one of the dedicated special publications. In terms of genuine usefulness, it's a ten.

WA2SOC Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2009 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Nice job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's hard to take the word of an "expert" who can't even use a traceable identity on a review. I have spent some hours reading the new 2010 Handbook and I think it is very well done. Obviously no single book is going to be a complete reference for electronics or radio. The point should be to provide a reference complete enough for the reader to gain a basic understanding of the concepts involved in various areas.

I remember a two-semester course sequence that focused on Fourier transforms, pole/zero diagrams, and the like. A few pages in the handbook is not a substitute for the course, but it is certainly a good refresher for me and I think would serve as an introduction for someone who is interested in the topic and wants to pursue it further in other texts. At another level, the first chapters can help the newcomer to electronics with the basics of DC and AC circuits and components.

One can use a book like this on several levels. It could just be read lightly for an overview of various topics and it serves that purpose well. It can also engender a deeper interest in a given topic which might then require more study.

Is there an error or misleading statement buried somewhere in the book? Probably; nothing is perfect. Is it worth the money for somebody seriously interested in electronics and ham radio? Absolutely.

QRPNEW Rating: 0/5 Nov 25, 2009 01:20 Send this review to a friend
Usual Rubbish  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading the ad in QST, I thought I would buy the "much updated" and revised Handbook 2010 edition. I even bought a hardcover thinking it was going to be something good. I was totally disappointed when I received it.

Same old rehashed material with nothing new in it.
Same old tired antenna projects
Same outdated amplifier information.
Everything in this handbook is the same old crap with little revision.

Nice picture of a modern parasitic suppressor for an amplifier. No design information!

Want to build a low pass filter, no design go buy another ARRL book or point your browser to the net! Whats the point of buying the book if you dont provide information to build one?

3cx1500D7 Amplifier, nice amp shame that the tuned input made by LDG is no longer made!

All the juicy stuff from the old Handbooks have been removed. About the only thing new is a couple of antenna projects, updated transceiver information and a new solid state amplifier.

In short dont waste your money on this terrible handbook. All of this information is on the internet, with much better quality articles and information. A book is supposed to be a REFERENCE with all pertinent information not a internet directory and summary of whats on the internet.

The ARRL could make the Handbook a true technical reference for anybody interested in electronics or communications. All they have succeeded in doing is creating a token gesture with no useful purpose to anyone.

What a waste of good paper. ARRL publications are getting worst and worst. They all have nice covers and the content is rubbish.

VA7AAX Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2009 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a 1991 ed. and a 2009 ed. Both eds. are equally good, but I prefer the '09 ed. for it's relevancy for current technology. I love the 2009 one. It has great satellite information. I also like the sections on DSP, and wireless technologies.

Thanks ARRL !