Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | ARRL Handbook - all years/editions Help

Reviews Summary for ARRL Handbook - all years/editions
Reviews: 19 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: ARRL Handbooks - all editions/years
More info: http://www.arrl.org

You can write your own review of the ARRL Handbook - all years/editions.

KE5QXL Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2007 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
ARRL Handbook Any Year. Excellent reference.
My first was around 1964. Another around 1976, etc. Recent versions include a searchable CD which is well indexed.
I aced my Sep 30, 2007 Technician and General exams. On Oct 28, 2007 I aced the Extra. The ARRL Handbook was my only publication reference for reading and the math formulas. Ham Academay (free) was used for question pool drilling. Downloaded ARRLs Technician, General, and Extra question pools (only used the Extra section E5 for math practice). Also, the ARRL listing of the FCC part 97 rules, current ARRL band plan.

Experienced Hams and other technical persons know that buying the ARRL Handbook once every 5 - 10 years is practical and appropriate. Purchasing the ARRL Handbook any more often generally does'nt offer much bang for the buck.
If you buy the ARRL Handbook every couple of years, don't expect to see much real change.
For those of you with good digital mode or DSP experience, write and submit articles to ARRL. This is where real technology can benefit both older and newer Hams. Got a fantastic digital mode you are enthusiastic about? Have you found the perfect DSP for signal enhancement? Write an article and share the excitement.

WA2DTW Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2007 13:22 Send this review to a friend
Reads like a dictionary  Time owned: more than 12 months
Has the important material, and is a good reference source.
Older editions from the 1950'2 and 60's were better written.
The newer edition has a very dry writing style, and seems to be written for engineers.

K7SUB Rating: 1/5 Mar 16, 2007 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Downhill  Time owned: more than 12 months
The handbook has gone downhill since the early 70's----I realize there is a time lag with getting state of the art projects in, but 2 to 4 years lag is a bit long.
My main complaint though is that the basic electronics stuff has been stipped down from the earlier hanbooks---just compare and you can see a big difference.
In any case 2006 is the last handbook I'll waste my money on unless there is some drastic change.

K6AER Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2007 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Great Reference Publication  Time owned: more than 12 months
In reading the previous ARRL Handbook review postings it would seem todayís amateurs want titillating articles on the latest digital communication and care nothing for the classics, or more traditional modes but I digress. The ARRL is the finest communication handbook on all aspects of amateur communication ever made. No other book can take a novice from the basics to advanced communication engineering with information form the basics to engineering level theory. Some complain about the price but I bet they have never bought an engineering text in collage.

Every four or five years I buy a Handbook and have copies going back to 1957. Half the information will repeat it self for the Handbook for it is a communication/engineering reference. New articles are gathered form the QST submittals.

Many of the hams have complained there are fewer construction articles but this is a result of the dumbing down of amateur radio technical articles that appear in QST. Hams today have fewer technical skills. Most hams today can barely put a PL-259 on a piece of coax let alone understand or write technical articles. Hence fewer articles appear in the ARRL Handbook because fewer and fewer technical articles are sent into QST.

If you donít own one of these fine technical journals you should have at least on as a reference in your library.

W1LC Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2005 14:50 Send this review to a friend
CD-ROM saves pages!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
To WM5Z and others who wonder where the project templates went in the 2005 Handbook, they're on the fully-searchable CD-ROM, now included with the ARRL Handbook. This frees up page space for new material and projects, etc! Not EVERY current project has a template available, but many do. Please review the contents of the CD-ROM and see what a wealth of information is now available via your keyboard/mouse. YOU DO HAVE A COMPUTER, DON'T YOU? ;-)

K7PEH Rating: 3/5 Jan 18, 2005 20:06 Send this review to a friend
Good Enough For Purchase  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, a question -- did any of you pay $54.95 for your 2005 edition of the handbook? I mean, that is what it says there right up on the corner of this page. I paid $29.95 at HRO's table at a hamfest in October.

Enough of that question, now for the review. I would say that maybe ARRL is right when they say something like the "most change in 10 years" -- probably true but that does not necessarily mean that the book is substantially different. In my opinion, the handbook changes over time very slowly. I buy my copy each year only because I am trying to gather more mass in my shack so that I might be able to distort the gravitational field a little bit and then I can sit longer in my chair.

W5GW Rating: 1/5 Jan 18, 2005 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Too Technical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a handy desk reference for an EE it is great. As a reference for an amateur radio operator it is lacking. Depth of practical operating and practices in many cases is non-existant. For example, today PSK31 is a very popular mode. The ARRL handbook gives PSK very marginal treatment. If we are to ever encourage new operators into our community we need to develop a handbook that is more in tune with the times. I swore after buying the 2004 edition I'd never buy another ARRL handbook until it underwent a major revision. The 2005 edition was advertised as a major revision, but if anything it is even more of a disapointment. Gary, MSEE, W5GW

WB9JOX Rating: 1/5 Jan 18, 2005 11:13 Send this review to a friend
arrl hand book  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I agree the hand book needs some fresh ideas and new projects.Last book I purchased was in 2000 and no changes. Quess arrl just wanted to make a quick buck.I would purchase more but tired of same old stuff I mean stufff. Please try and come up with some new ideas.There are some old timers out there that really have wonderful info on antennas and so forth. Just ask them to respond . Tnx

FORMER_WM5Z_SF Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2005 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Very disappointing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ARRL touted that this was the biggest update in 10 years. I ordered mine, and was very dissapointed when it arrived. I found that there were fewer construction articals than is in previous versions. In older copies the projects had some printed circuit board lay-outs. This edition has none. I found no new projects. As an avid home brewer this is extreemly big letdown.