Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | HAMKITT ( TS-2000 DISPLAY BLUE LIGHT MOD ) Help

Reviews Summary for HAMKITT ( TS-2000 DISPLAY BLUE LIGHT MOD )
HAMKITT     (   TS-2000 DISPLAY BLUE LIGHT MOD  ) Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$34.95
Description: HAMKITT.com offers a modification to any Kenwood TS-2000 which allows it's owner to switch the Display from a amber or yellowish display to a "COOL BLUE COLOR"... Making the Kenwood's display very similar to the Yaesu Ft-847's display color.. This modification kit comes with very detailed step by step instructions & parts needed to complete the modification...
More info: http://www.hamkitt.com

You can write your own review of the HAMKITT ( TS-2000 DISPLAY BLUE LIGHT MOD ).

WK2X Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2017 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Great mod, great support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered this kit YEARS ago, and it has been sitting in my drawer because I was too chicken to do it. I finally dug it out and installed it a week or two ago. The instructions were perfect, and thankfully it came with a few spare LEDs and resistors because I did break one or two in the process.

Much to my dismay, after putting everything back together, I could no longer hear any signals on my rig's main band! Thinking I'd broken something, I took to social media for advice. Joe, the owner, immediately contacted me and invited me to call him for help.

After a few minutes, we figured out what the problem was. User error. I had turned the RF gain all the way down in order to get that knob back on right, and had forgotten to turn it back up. With that adjustment made, my rig was again working the way it should, only now the display looks GREAT! Joe and I had a good laugh about it after we figured it out, too.

Now I see a bunch of other gear in my shack with light colors I don't like, and I want to mod it, too .. unfortunately, I'm out of those cool blue LEDs.

N0SQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2017 10:52 Send this review to a friend
number of steps could be reduced  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally got around to installing this mod even though none of my incandescents had burnt out yet but I didn't like the color of the display lighting. The kit came with both green and "blue" LED's and carbon resistors. I chose the blue LEDs even though the LED was actually a white LED. Through the magic of optics the white light appears blue. Anyway, I followed the steps for disassembly only to find that some steps could be eliminated. The replacement of the bulbs was easy but since the board was designed for SMD resistors the carbon resistor leads had to be arranged so that the resistors could be mounted where the SMD resistors were mounted. Since the original SMD resistors were large enough, they could have been replaced with another SMD resistor instead of the carbon resistors, in my opinion, and would have made for a cleaner installation. It would take more care to install SMD resistors. But, I stayed with the carbon resistors rather than spend more money. It does give me a much nicer display.

AA2HA Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2016 20:10 Send this review to a friend
Smurphy!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed this kit for a young, local ham who was worried about doing it himself. The instructions are quite well written and informative. From start to finish, this took just under two hours, even though I took my time and and chatted through a good portion of the mod.
To be honest, I couldn't understand how a blue display would make operation easier on the eyes. I thought the amber would be far less fatiguing on the old peepers. Don't tell my wife, but I was wrong! (I believe this happened once before, in or around 1981. :)
The blue display, after adjusting the brightness, was MUCH better than the original on his Kenwood TS-2000. This is a nice kit and, when my warranty expires, I'll be performing this mod on my radio(s) too.

W4GLM Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2013 06:43 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very recently ordered the kit for my newly acquired TS-2000.
Arrived in yesterday's mail and after coffee this morning, I warmed up my old soldering iron and began dis-assembly.

pay attention to the dis-assembly, hot coffee helps...................

Way way easier than I thought, upon reassembly fired right up and set my brigtness.

WOW WOW WOW

I B liking the display, much easier on a set of older tired eyes

KC4ZPL Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2012 12:32 Send this review to a friend
HamKitt led mod  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the kit and was so surprized to see it arrive so soon. The time spent doing this mod took about 1.5 hours and the instruction sheets step ya thru the whole thing very well. I was grinning from ear to ear when I finished the mod an turned on my TS-2000!! The blue backlit display was AWESOME! Same night I turned it on again in the same room with no other lights on an WoW! The display looked fantastic an had my display screen just how I wanted it to look. This mod is very-well worth the price.

W3DDF Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2012 03:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Hamkitt TS-2000 blue display kit. Joe was very helpful during the installation process. Just need to take your time and everything will go well. The blue display is a great improvement. Highly recommend this kit.

W6DRG Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2012 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Stellar  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought Joe's kit and had it the next business day. Was pretty nervous about taking the rig apart but followed the instructions carefully and within an hour it was working beautifully. Great kit, Great price, Nice Fellow! I will be looking for other kits made by Joe.

WA2E Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2012 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice kit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Received this fine kit this past weekend and installed on Sunday. My eyesight sure isn't what it used to be so inspected everything with a magnifier before putting it all back together. Looked good so the reassembly began. Crossed my fingers and turned the rig on to a much nicer blue display that will outlast me. Take your time, be careful and follow the instructions. If I can do it so can you. Love the new display.

Mike

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2010 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Mod, makes for a cool display!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a TS-2000 to use for satellite work. I like the radio and it isn't too bad on HF either as a backup rig. However, I just didn't like the yellow display. It was a little hard on my eyes. I saw a review for this kit here on eHam, so I decided to try it on my new TS-2000.

It wasn't hard at all to perform. It took a little over an hour. The cool blue is much easier on the eyes. In communicating with Joe, I learned that in time they will eventually make up kits for other radios. If you don't like the look of your drab old yellow display, I highly recommend this kit. You won't be disappointed!

KM9E Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2010 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding -- Cool Blue  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I liked the mod on the TS-570 so much, I ordered the kit for my TS-2000. This mod is only slightly more complex than the TS-570DG due to more ribbon cables & tighter "quarters". With a little patience & attention, this mod will turn out great, just as mine did. The kit says an evening to complete, however, I had the radio back together in 1.25 hrs! Of course, I run a two way shop & have experience in working with electronics/radios. Even with modest tools & soldering iron, anyone could do this in 3 hours or less. The instructions are outstanding w/color pics to lead you through every step of the process successfully. After doing the 570 & 2000's, I wish I had a TM-V7 to do .... hi hi. Shades of Heathkit, but multitudes better. Great job, Joe & gang!