Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | MFJ-828 Digital/analog SWR/wattmeter, freq. counter Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-828 Digital/analog SWR/wattmeter, freq. counter
MFJ-828 Digital/analog SWR/wattmeter, freq. counter Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.1/5 MSRP: $229.95
Description: The MFJ-828 digital SWR/Wattmeter/Frequency Counter measures up to 1500 watts. It has three high resolution ranges with accuracy in each range from 1.8 to 54 MHz. True peak or average forward and reflected watts, SWR and frequency can be simultaneously displayed.
More info: http://mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-828

You can write your own review of the MFJ-828 Digital/analog SWR/wattmeter, freq. counter.

KB5RU Rating: 0/5 Oct 9, 2017 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this thing 3 weeks ago. This week end smoke started coming out of it and the power wire started burning. I was not on a radio but I was lucky that I was in my shop and smelt it. Burned my hand getting the power plug out. Discovered that the RCA connector on the back that stops the amp from working if the SWR is above the set-point had fallen out. I don't use it but it is a good indication of their lack of QC. I won't make the mistake of buying any MFJ products in the future.

VA3AQB Rating: 2/5 Apr 8, 2016 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Not accurate  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had this for a while, I found is accurate on 40m only and less than 1KW as this is the recommended calibration freq.
When you go higher on HF accuracy gets worst.
Meter reads higher on upper bands, If you go any higher than 1KW meter is very poor. I tested a amp at 2KW and the MFJ meter only read 1300watts compared to my amp meter and Palstar tuner read 2KW.
I do like the amp cut off if SWR is high feature.
I will sell to a CB'er and buy a LP100A.

N4SRN Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2015 18:11 Send this review to a friend
As Expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Connected between my LDG Z-11ProII atu and FT-897D Transceiver, and it work brilliantly right out of the box. I'll report back after 3mo+ use.

KF5BQJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 12, 2015 06:54 Send this review to a friend
It Works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, I took a chance on MFJ once again. I bought this mainly for the audio SWR alert. I'm forever forgetting to change bands on the amp or switching antennas. This product should correct my stupity. I am disappointed that MFJ did not send an owners manual. They sent a note in the box that my owners manual is on line.
Other than that, the meter seams to function as it should right out of the box.

N5VU Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2011 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Arrived in good shape. All parts and connections in place. Worked great right out of the box! The auto-ranging analog meter is a pretty cool item. Of course the auto-ranging digital meter is good also. The menu is easy to figure out even if you didn't have the instructions.
The frequency counter is accurate. Keep in mind that the frequency counter works just like any other frequency counter, it needs a solid carrier to measure. It will not measure SSB. DUH!
The digital display will keep the last transmission peak power information displayed. The analog meter will keep the reading displayed long enough for you to actually read the meter before it goes back to zero.
I suppose the best part about this meter is it comes with both analog and digital readouts. The analog accuracy appears to match my other meters as well. I compared it to my AL-82 meter and it matched. This was into a dummy load as well as throgh my ATR-30 and Palstar BT1500 tuner. Keep in mind that a mismatched antenna will give you some inaccurate meter readings.
73 & Great DX de N5VU

KG0WX Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2011 15:47 Send this review to a friend
Works perfectly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not sure what happened to the earlier reviewers
but my 828 seems to works perfectly right out of the
box. Must be an intermittent QC issue at the factory
which may have been addressed as mine was ordered
from Hamcity and they held my reservation until
some more came in so I guess mine is "fresh".

I'll repost the review in a few months as an update.

N4NDX Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2011 19:14 Send this review to a friend
N4NDX  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the MFJ-828 for a little over 4 month now and I can`t say nothing bad about it. I have mine connected in line with a Swan WM-2000A so I`m able to double check readings, and so far is doing a great job. I like to detail my logs and this will give me all the info I need and is also very simple to use.

KJ6GED Rating: 0/5 Apr 9, 2011 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Absolute Garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I cannot believe that anyone would even consider MFJ products. Brand new out of box, Peak reading was 200watts over what bird meter was seeing. SWR on my 10m vertical is flat with bird and swr meter on my ic-775. MFJ says swr of 1.7 and reflection 15w and 100 going out. UNBELIEVABLE. I sent it right back. Take my advice MFJ is junk. I will never buy an mfj product again. This company is so bad that they should be put out of business.

KB2TEK Rating: 2/5 Aug 12, 2010 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Not accurate at all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very poorly made not accurate, cross meters are always jumping and moving on a dead key with no audio on. BUy a LP-100A Meter. They are $425.00 but you get what you pat for