Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Laird Technologies (Antenex) QW144 2M 1/4wave whip Help

Reviews Summary for Laird Technologies (Antenex) QW144 2M 1/4wave whip
Laird Technologies (Antenex) QW144 2M 1/4wave whip Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $8.70 MSRP (11/2009)
Description: Item # QWB144 Quarterwave Antennas

All Quarterwaves are built with gold plated contacts for corrosion resistance and best power transfer.

Stand-upô grommet will not degrade over time.

High spring temper rod stays straighter longer.

Stainless steel corona ball stays on the rod - no dissimilar metal interaction associated with competitor designs.

Specifications:
Model - Unity Gain Models
Manufacturer - Laird Technologies
Finish - Stainless (Avail in black, p/n QWB144)
Frequency - 144-152 MHz
Gain - Unity
Overall Length - 19 inches
Whip Style - 1/4 Wave
More info: http://lairdtech.thomasnet.com/item/vehicular-mobile-radio-antennas/quarterwave-antennas-2/pn-4611?&seo=110&plpver=10

You can write your own review of the Laird Technologies (Antenex) QW144 2M 1/4wave whip.

K2OWK Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2010 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent low priced antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This antenna works as good as anything I have used for mobile operation. I have mine mounted on the Laird magnetic mount, I am using a Wouxun HT and can talk to anyone I can hear. The antenna looks good (it is the black one)and if I damage it I can replace it for about $5.00. What a deal. I recommend this antenna.

AB0RE Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2009 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Best kept secret in ham radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had countless QW144 and QWB144(black) 2M 1/4 wave whip antennas (NMO mount). They are resonant towards the top of the 2M band (148MHz) but are so broadbanded that they'll exhibit a very acceptable SWR all across the 2M ham band and higher. They are factory tuned and cannot be adjusted, but they'll work fine regardless of where they're mounted on the vehicle.

Current TESSCO.com gold pricing is a mere $4.87 for this antenna. Couple that with a $8.96 MB8 NMO-hole mount and you have a complete mobile antenna system for around 15 bucks.

Mounted in the center of my roof with an NMO-hole mount the antenna works quite well. I've done several A/B comparisons between this and a Larsen NMO150 5/8 wave antenna (the gold standard) and have noticed little, if any, perceivable difference in TX/RX signal strength.

This is the best $5 I've spent on the hobby! The best part is if the antenna gets caught up in a parking garage or a tree limb, you're not out much to replace it. I'm not heartbroken over not having to waste time tuning the antenna, either. Works great right out of the package!

Dan / ab0re