Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Linear Amp UK Challenger 111 Help

Reviews Summary for Linear Amp UK Challenger 111
Linear Amp UK Challenger 111 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $1995
Description: The Challenger III uses a Russian GS35 ceramic triode valve.
This is a 1500w amp.
More info: http://www.linamp.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the Linear Amp UK Challenger 111.

M0KKW Rating: 0/5 Apr 4, 2015 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Utter junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
How such an amateurish pile of tat could be sold to the public amazes me. Thoroughly cheap and nasty components cobbled together and every possible corner cut. Just fixed another and told the owner to get rid.

G0FVT Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2014 10:31 Send this review to a friend
It's not mine!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A friend has had one of these for a long time, I have used it on a number of field days.
I have been very impressed with the complete lack of drama using this amplifier. It tends to get dragged out once or twice a year and has been used with quite a selection of different transceivers. The amplifier is not as slick looking as some of the competition but it internally looks well made and easy to repair.
I once accidentally drove the amplifier to 1a of anode current with excessive drive.. the HV sagged a lot, the amplifier suffered no ill effects but the mains transformer got remarkably hot very quickly! The cooling fan is quiet but does not seem to shift much air, this is always a compromise, with a bigger transformer it would also be heavier. One of the great features of this amplifier is that it contains no expensive parts, so we are not nervous about its welfare when inexperienced but licenced operators are using it. I would not hesitate to buy one if I was looking for an HF amplifier.

GW0GEI Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Update on new owner's product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Further to my previous review of the gs35 challenger iii, built by the original owner of the company; there have been two changes in ownership. The second owner of the company made substantial changes to the design and improved the quality of these amps - with little issues being reported by new purchasers. The design has been taken further by its current owner/builder at the Dx Shop Ltd, and I have visited the workshop to see the current product, whilst looking for a new vhf amp. Suffice to say that the new gs35 amp being built is substantially different and a much better quality product, and the current owner is delvering excellant customer care to his customers. I would not hesitate to buy one of these new amps, and there is also now a choice of 8874 valve if preferred.

I would still avoid any second hand gs35 challenger 3 built by the original owner and to the original design, but the new product is a world appart and I am sure will be seen in an increasing number of shacks.Its not just a new design and better quality outer case - it has fundementally changed inside, with a new control board, better quality components all round, which has got around all of the original tuning and reliability problems.
For the record, I do not own one, and have no connection with the new company owner other than I have visited his production facility and seen how the design and quality of this amp has been improved. Having posted a very critical review of the original company's product, I thought it only fair to the new owner to report on what I have seen with the current product.
Steve GW0GEI

M0VEY Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2009 02:23 Send this review to a friend
Rugged British Amp.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Challenger 3 amp as an upgrade to a Ranger 811H amp I'd owned for around 4 years.

The Challenger delivers the UK legal limit of 400w for just 20w drive from my transceiver.

Input swr is low on all bands. The Challenger is a very reliable & rugged amp, that I'm sure will be in my shack for many years to come.

The GS35 Triode is a very rugged valve,which is capable of producing high power for long operating periods.

Specifications
DC voltage - 3600V DC
Metering - Plate current, Grid current/RF O/P
Dimensions - 16in wide x 9.5in high x 17in deep 410mm x 240mm x 475mm
Weight - 29kg

I rate the amp as a 5 based on performance & price. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this amp to anyone.

Regards,