Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Realistic PRO-2005 Help

Reviews Summary for Realistic PRO-2005
Realistic PRO-2005 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $399.99
Description: Realistic PRO-2005
More info: http://support.radioshack.com/support_electronics/28538.htm

You can write your own review of the Realistic PRO-2005.

K9WIT Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2004 08:24 Send this review to a friend
15 YEARS AND STILL RUNNING  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thats right I've own this scanner over 15 years and is still running strong.

WA4AOS Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2003 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Good but disapointed.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Please read my review of the Pro 2004 and 2006. I now own several 2005's and they have the same weaknesses as does the 2006. Cheap plastic case with no internal shielding. Smaller display than the 2004 and overall cheap construction. However, the 2005 does have an excellent receiver and is a solid product. I keep a 2005 running around the clock and have had no technical problems. I did implement some mods when I first received it and was able to get the unit to perform even better. I have outlined a few of my mods with the 2006 review.
The 2005 is almost identical to the 2006 except the processor section of the 2006 has been revamped to include a faster processor and supporting components to effect faster scanning.
How important is this faster scanning anyway? Give it some thought and you have to wonder. Once the squelch has opened to listen to a station the unit is not scanning. Once scanning has resumed another station on another frequency may often keep the scan cycle from repeating anyway. I live in a rural area and listen to my scanner as a function of whatever is of interest at a particular time. If I hear a siren off in the distance, I might be interested in listening to the police freqs. When I am setting at the bench working on equipment, I enjoy listening to the aviation bands. Occasionally, I like to listen to the ham repeaters. Having said that, I listen to the scanner as a background interest most of the time and I usually like only one format at a time. If I miss what one aircraft pilot had to say since I was listening to another pilot, who cares. If I miss a half syllable more on the 2005 than on the 2006, again, who cares? If I was braced in front of the scanner waiting for each and every word spewed from the lips of some pilot, police officer or ham radio operator, then the extra speed might possibly be of interest. I find the scan rate of the 2004 and 2005 to be very good and when listening to the 2005 and 2006 side by side with the same frequencies programmed in and in the same channels, I find absolutely no difference in what I hear. Even with over 200 channels programmed and an antenna up 50 feet.
My point is I really donít believe the 2006 scan rate is sufficiently faster than the 2005 to be worth the difference in purchase price. Unless you really need the extra, very questionable scan speed of the 2006, the 2005 is as good and with a few mods, the 2005 should be an excellent performer for years to come.
My bottom line is that the PRO 2004, 2005 and 2006 are all very nice units with room for improvement. And unlike the more disposable scanners built today, these units should be serviceable for years to come. Shame the PRO 2004, 2005 and 2006 are no longer available. I have 2 PRO 2004ís running side by side and I have more flexibility than I would have from a single 2006. 2004ís are often available on ebay and usually much less expensive than the 2006.

KA6CAI Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2001 22:48 Send this review to a friend
It's a modified Pro-2004  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This high-end scanner is the completion of what most would do with the 2004 but have saved themselves the work. I listen to one at work and they are very durable. It does, however receive a high pitched whistle with each transmission and if the cord is plugged in upside down you'll feel the AC ripples in the metal antenna. I would recommend feeling the back of the radio after plugging in so that the circuits last. Good reception and sound. Highly modifiable too, if you are looking for a radio to do mods on, I would suggest this one over the 2006.