Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Palstar SP30 H Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar SP30 H
Palstar SP30 H Reviews: 38 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$179.95
Description: An extended range communications speaker

You can write your own review of the Palstar SP30 H.

NG0Z Rating: 4/5 May 23, 2014 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Good Option with Tradeoffs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I paid $179 for this speaker as my Icom, like most any modern HF rig, has an inadequate speaker. I wear headphones most of the time but when ragchewing with a strong station, it's nice to have a good speaker.

It has a nice warm sound and you can tell it is optimized for reproducing voice signals.

It's also a plus that it has multiple inputs on the backside to allow for different ways to connect it to your radio(s).

...and this does the trick save a couple issues:

1) Price - for $179 it should have an amp to boost the power a bit

2) Size - for it's should have an amp to boost the power a bit (otherwise why does it have to be so big?)

3) Size - it's too big - the speaker is taller than my radio!

...if it wasn't so big and clumsy, and so costly, I'd give it a 5.

K7SHL Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2014 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Sweet Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this speaker with my ICOM IC-7100, which has adjustable bass and treble controls. This allows me to adjust the audio going to the speaker based upon what I am listening to. I get crisp and very intelligible voice with the bass turned down on ssb and am, and get great rich music output when I turn up the bass on am or fm. This speaker makes a great companion to the 7100. It minimizes the hiss and background noise so I don't get tired of listening. It is a large speaker, so I have had to rearrange my desk's layout to fit it in, but the sound makes using my radio that much more enjoyable.
KD4INV Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2014 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Fewer "Say Agains"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This speaker improves my ability to understand voice intelligence on the radio. I have spent a great deal of money hunting for a means to overcome my poor hearing or understanding of voice. I was to the point of changing over to digital modes to make the radio hobby enjoyable.
Within 30 mins. of unpacking and connecting it I knew it was a winner. I have been through many different types which are still stacked in the garage. It's not a cure for those mistreated ears but it sure helps. I think the larger cone makes the difference for me. Also it is a well built product and I recommend it.
KC0KBC Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2013 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only owned this for a week, but so far it's working great. I have it connected to a Yaesu FT857D. I did have to adjust the low-pass filter cutoff slightly because with this speaker, I could hear the PL tone signal when receiving FM repeaters - so it's a very sensitive, wide-range speaker.

Note that you'll need to provide your own cable since it would be impractical to include one for every different type of connection.
VE3WCQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2013 21:52 Send this review to a friend
Well Well Well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well a ya after posting a review a while back on the Yaesu Sp-2000 I have to eat my words. The Sp-30H is far better. Full sound very precise and the biggest thing I found was the Audio ( Voice CW tone ) will not get lost in the noise, if its there you will hear it. If its weak signals you want to hear then this is the speaker you want, if its full body sound this is the speaker you want if its something easy on the ears after hours of listening then this is the speaker you want and if its a nice looking speaker you want then this is the speaker you want.
I do have one neg. its the fact that they changed the design, they have started to leave out the damping material to me it needs it, they say they found after many tests is does not. Well I added some and it did make a difference well being a Drummer ( not pro ) not a Violinist what would I know about reverberation and sound resonating with in a enclosure. Anyhow if your looking for a Ex. Speaker save your self time and Money and pick up the SP-30H because chances are you will end with one like I did and I spent way too much money on speakers and ended up back to the one I looked at first and said its too expensive. Ya I know laugh laugh laugh.

All the best.
KB3H Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Versatile - has three different types of audio input terminals. Makes every receiver in this shack sound better with its full-bodied communication frequency response. Classy wooden cabinet contrasts nicely with vintage/modern gear.
WA8ATF Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Full Range  Time owned: more than 12 months
In use on a Collins S-line and Drake R8B.Huge Helper to the receivers,Great tones,a definite keeper.Very Well Engineered.
K4KZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2012 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have use several different speakers in my ham shack since 1978. The speaker is well-built and sounds great. The speaker is plugged into the output of my Behringer audio mixer where I receive audio from my pc, Icom 2820, Kenwood TS-590S, and Adcom tuner. Expensive, but worth the price-in my opinion.
KA3ZHX Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Use this speaker now as my primary HF speaker, audio response on SSB is excellent, on AM exceptional...good looking, great finish...a very nice addition to the shack
KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2012 11:01 Send this review to a friend
CS+ SP30H  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have the SP30H, use it in combination with a Clear Speech DSP speaker on my ICOM 7600 with GREAT RESULTS. The Palstar SP30H a great speaker in its own right, but when combined together its works even better when used with the ICOM 7600 for pulling out those real weak station.............KB6HRT