Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Palstar SP30 H Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar SP30 H
Palstar SP30 H Reviews: 28 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$179.95
Description: An extended range communications speaker
More info: http://palstar.com/sp30h.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar SP30 H.

W7TAE Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2012 21:33 Send this review to a friend
HiFi SSB and CW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now two months in the shack and I don't know why I did not get this one sooner. Clean easy to copy cw audio and strong clear solid SSB.

I have acres of speakers and nothing comes close.

Well finished, beautifully made, and truly superb audio. A home run for Palstar. Easy to drive to room filling audio even with my K3.

If you are squimish on the price- fathers day is coming up, and well, so is your birthday (Christmas, your Anniversary, presidents day..tons of excuses, just find one)

A little big if you are cramped for space, but easy enough to wall mount if you need to (you must supply your own fasteners of course)
The SP30H is a giant step up from the SP30(which I use now on my 2meter rig)

TADGE Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2012 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using the SP30H for a few months now.

In the past I have used everything from compuer to Hifi speakers, the SP30H outperforms all of the above. I work QRP exclusively and I normally use BOSE QC15 headphones for weak signal ops, however I have not touched them since using the Palstar unit.

The audio is super clear and really drops off any hiss, it also drops QRN down.

Quality of the build has to be seen/felt to be appreciated.

I have no hesitation in rating these a 5.

Well worth the outlay.

KC4YLX Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2012 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own the Palstar AT2K tuner and the HF-AUTO tuner so I expected top notch construction and performance when I ordered the speaker. I was not let down. The finish on the cabinet is excellent. The size fits into my shack very well and the quality of the sound is second to NONE! I also have a sweet speaker and would rather use this one as the sound is nicer and the cabinet is smaller. I bought the black to match my station equipment. It sits on top of the Orion II and looks great. I am very happy with this speaker. I use the quick connect connector for the audio cable and have not used the other two jacks. It is nice to have them if I ever need to use them. I am sure you will be happy with this product if you order one!

VE2YMM Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2011 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Great speaker!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On my old Yaesu 897D, the little speaker is convenient, but the audio quality is not the best. I improved the quality of the DSP BHI, but with the speaker Palstar SP30H I'm really impressed. No need for dynamic filters, the SP30H is sufficient. The case is a bit imposing, but the quality (for radio) is greatly improved.

When I listen the tower of the airport, I now understand clearly the conversations I had trouble interpreting before. Same on the amateur bands, it is clearer and my ear do not need to work hard to understand now! This is definitely a purchase that I will never regret it and will long remain in my shack!

Yves,
ve2ymm.com - Canada

HB9LBJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2011 06:45 Send this review to a friend
excellent speaker for communications use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having read all the positive reviews on this communications speaker, I finally decided to order one at Palstar. It took only about a week for the parcel to arrive in Switzerland.

After unpacking it I immediately hooked it up with one of my transceivers and did some testing. To cut a long story short: you simply have to love this piece of equipment. Both HAM radio on SSB and shortwave broadcast sound great.

I also own an Icom SP-20 and a Yaesu SP-2000, which are good speakers but not quite as good as Palstar's jewel.

N6TEA Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2011 00:28 Send this review to a friend
A violin's voice from modern electronics.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Paul Hrivnak created a speaker that truly combines his experience as both a concert violinist and an electronics engineer. The speaker will handle up to 20 W input at eight ohms, more than enough to allow the use of some older vintage equipment that favored giant speakers (a la Hammerlund or Hallicrafters) yet still be driven easily by the two watts from my modern Icom IC-7410. For the cabinet - the core is made of high grade birch plywood, precision assembled with a laser cut grill that adds a bit of a vintage look while protecting the speaker cone from the invariable intrusions of other components or tools. Take your pick; cherry finish (furniture grade no less) or dress black with a soft satin finish (very classy and matches any radio). I chose the black, a new offering. On the back, there are no less than three separate means to connect the speaker to a receiver: red/black bare wire compression clamps; an RC audio jack; or, a 3.5 mm (1/8") mono jack (albeit my stereo plug worked fine, too). Inside is a large speaker and a huge magnet which is shielded so as not to interfere with sensitive radio parts, your fine watch, and so forth. I tried to see if it would distort a cheap compass and indeed, it did not so the shielding works. There is some generous baffle material that lines the entire inside of the cabinet and the wiring for the connectors, all bright and shiny, solidly soldered. The exact size and placement of the baffle, cabinet dimensions in relation to the speaker driver size are where the engineering comes in to reproduce CW or quite natural voice communications. How it sounds, is well, almost musical. It has a voice that rivals a high quality stereo book shelf speaker, say the legendary Dynaco A-50. In replicating sound, the beautifully and carefully made assembly, has the timber, tone and balanced treble with bass and mid-range one might otherwise find in a speaker with a cross over yet is optimized for the audible frequencies one wishes to hear when digging out that distant station from the ground floor noise level. In this, it produces sounds as good as a truly well made headset without the discomfort of wearing them. Simply put, it is well engineered, beautifully crafted, it looks nice, it is easy to listen to and it sounds terrific. For this quality, it is quite fairly priced. You may buy it directly from Palstar on their website or select on-line retailers. Palstar shipped mine the day I ordered it, well packaged to arrive in pristine condition. One cannot ask for more.

N4KZ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2011 20:30 Send this review to a friend
The best I've owned in 42 years  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After searching for a couple years for a speaker that sounded good on SSB and CW - without rattling, having too much bass or hiss - I have ended my search. That's because my new Palstar SP30H is the best sounding speaker I've owned in my 42 years as a ham. I've been through a bunch of matching speakers from the JA Big Three. Many of them sounded so-so, at best. Mainly, you're buying a matching cabinet with those and the speaker seems to be an after-thought. But the SP30H looks good and sounds even better. Just right for communications use. I even rearranged my ham shack to put the speaker at center stage on my operating desk so that it directs its wonderful audio right at me. I've worn earphones for all these years while operating CW but at this rate I'm thinking the 'phones will soon be retired. (Heck, they were uncomfortable anyway and make my ears hot!) Got my speaker at the Dayton Hamvention. Hauling it back to my car wasn't easy because it's a big box but it was worth every ounce of sweat. I even rigged up a switch box so my Icom Pro 3 and Kenwood TS-590 now output their audio to this wonderful speaker. My Yaesu SP-8 speaker got demoted to my 2 meter rig - which I don't use much.

Typically, matching speakers from the Japanese big three are not cheap. This speaker costs about the same, maybe a little less but it sounds much, much better so spend your money on this one and forget about getting a matching cabinet with an after-thought speaker.

73, N4KZ

KD0ZV Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2011 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Typical A+ as you would expect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Havent bought anything from Palstar that I did not find top notch. This is no exception. Have to say I thought it was somewhat ugly when I first saw it on their site. But in person its gorgeous with the cherry cabinet.

Very pleasing to listen to and seems to cut noise without cutting highs. I also have a Sounds Sweet speaker (now in the basement) and the Palstar is 10 times better sounding and 100 times nicer build.

KM6CQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2011 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Awsome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is like a JBL 3411B studio monitor. It does not add to the sound. It simply reproduces the sound in its entirety. It is the very best speaker I have ever used on HF. SSB signals come alive and CW is soothing. You really have to hear this speaker. Fit and finish and build quality is very good, and even if it was not I would still buy it for the sound is so good. There is no bassy or muffled sound. What you hear in the voice range is very clean and life like. Using this with a TS-950S really shows it off. This is one of those products that has no flaws. Every thing about it is good. I highly recommend it.

K2VF Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2010 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Built well great sound  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It was a bit of a journey before I purchased this speaker. I started with the Icom SP-23 it was ok but as a audiophile I knew it was missing on the low response side. Next was the Minimus 77 Radio Shack speakers. Please note these were discontinued from Radio Shack years ago but were fantastic in its day. Still not happy, I ordered the Palstar SP30H. Great build quality right out of the box and multiple ways to make a connection. I hooked them up to my Icom 7600 and was blown away at the sound. Great lows and the tonal quality and range made a big difference in speech Intelligibility on SSB modes. I would highly recommend this speaker. Please be aware that they are a bit over sized so its best to measure to see were it fits.