Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | Recollections of a Radio Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Recollections of a Radio Receiver
Recollections of a Radio Receiver Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $10.00 including shipping (US)
Description: The HBR-14 and HBR-16 ham band receivers, and their subsequent updates, are arguably the most famous and copied homebrew receiver designs of the vacuum tube era. This eBook is a complete compendium of information on all of the various HBR receivers designed by Ted Crosby W6TC (SK) and published in a series of QST articles in the late 1950's through the mid 1960's.

A personal friend of Ted Crosby's, author Jay Helms, W6HHT, has compiled over 500 pages of articles, history, schematics, building hints and anecdotes concerning Ted and his receivers. Included are many never before published pieces of Ted's personal correspondence where he goes into detail on the HBR design, troubleshooting and improvements, insights that never made it into the pages of QST. This book reads both as a historical novel tracing the development of these receivers as well as a technical resource for anyone interested in building or restoring one today.

Published in Acrobat .pdf format, searchable and full bookmarked, and distributed on a CD ROM. For more information contact w6hht@arrl.net.

You can write your own review of the Recollections of a Radio Receiver.

W4PTO Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2010 16:53 Send this review to a friend
An HBR builder's must have!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I know there are some of us out there who are "HBR" neophytes who are just now starting out in our adventures with this legendary receiver. I thought I could get by with simply following some of the printed material available on the hbr website and various sundry information sources, however, this book is a gem!

HHT's book goes into explicit detail about how to build this receiver and some of the reasons why Ted and others designed things the way they are in
this receiver, such as the use of certain frequencies and circuits were used
during the design and build phase of this radio. Even more "entertaining" are some of the communiques and remarks of some of the builders.

If I had obtained a copy earlier, I might have avoided some inane questions I posted. Folks, this is a good read, probably one of the few things I can say that it was money well spent. I highly suggest getting a copy and going through this book. This book can help you avoid mistakes and perhaps make your building experience much more enjoyable. You will receive a healthy amount of a practical RF electronics education as well. I'm a happy customer! Thanks.

KE4ID Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2010 07:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent resource!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read about this e-book on the Yahoo HBR site. I ended up purchasing several copies of the "Recollections of a Radio Receiver" CD.

I enjoy building receivers and started building tube versions a few years ago. The CD is a great resource. I used to think plug-in coils were a pretty ineffective way to go, but changed my mind after using them in regen sets. The "Recollections..." CD shows that the the plug-in coils can be effective in superhets!

There is a lot of info in "Recollections...". Tube types, chassis layout, wiring, and VFO stability are a just a few of the topic covered.

For those who have already purchased the CD, note that there is an errata section under "Book News" on Jay Helm's website: http://www.w6hht.com/

Jack, KE4ID

KA7TPH Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2009 21:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent! An Absolute bargain!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I collect all kinds of Ham Radio writings, especially tube era stuff. I have all kinds of old handbooks, magazines from the 1920's thru 1980's, and I've probably studied everything that has ever been published about these great receivers. Of all my collected documentation, "Recollections" is BY FAR the best investment I've ever made.

If you're interested in Ted Crosby's receivers designed in the '50s and '60s, arguably some of the best home-brew receiver designs ever, then GET THIS CD! There's information here that can't be found anywhere else.

Kudos to Jay Helms, W6HHT for writing this book. I doubt that there's anyone else still left alive that could have written it. It's much, much more than a collection of construction articles, and even includes letters written by ted in his own hand which are remarkably clear and readable, even after more than 40 years. Jay was there. He became friends with Ted, and his account of the HBR journey left me feeling that I knew Ted Crosby myself.

It's 565 pages. Printed double-sided on my Laser printer, it fills a 3" loose-leaf binder. Jay writes in a style that's easy to read, in fact a printed copy has been my bedside reader for the last couple of months.

This is the real deal, folks. It doesn't get any better than this! If you're into home-brew tube gear like I am, then I promise you it will be the best $10 you ever spent. Get it while you can.