Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Realistic PRO-2004 Help

Reviews Summary for Realistic PRO-2004
Realistic PRO-2004 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: Realistic PRO-2004
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Realistic PRO-2004.

VE6DO Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Even though I have much newer scanners .. I still know that if I need to use it, my Pro2004 is rock solid and just works. The only radio that I would compare to it would be my Pro 2006. It is one of the classics and those that have 2004's just know that they have one of the best radios ever made. I will never get rid of my Pro 2004 as it is just one of those radios that are just a workhorse and just keep going and going.

G0UOO Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2010 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine in spring 1987. It's used 24/7 and never gets switched off. Currently it's doing good service with AIS and Shipplotter. In over twenty years the only thing that's gone wrong is that the panel illumination failed, but I can live with that.

I did the faster scan mod, and tapped off the discriminator for AIS use.

Good performance, reliable and well built. They really don't make 'em like this anymore!

WA8EBM Rating: 3/5 Nov 20, 2009 11:37 Send this review to a friend
If it still works-keep it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one of the first ones that came out. It worked great for about 3 years. Did all the mods, tapped the IF and fed it into a all mode xcvr and worked great for SSB. Went dead and sent to RS for repair. It turned out to be corroded feed through holes on the double sided circuit board. Happened a 2nd time and went in myself and cleaned/resoldered every feedthrough hole I could find. Worked for a while then crashed again and was never able to revive it.
Loved it while it lasted. RS tech told me the corrosion problem was not isolated just to mine.

G6GBT Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2009 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Gear should be made just like this, but unfortunately it now isn  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just been given this scanner from an ex ham that's no longer interested in the scene. It's an old but extremely well constructed bit of kit and i love Realistic gear. I've tried it on an external ant' with superb results, while my Alinco dj-x3 and other scanner just overload and simply do not compare. Problem is that the display is relatively dim as it was used regularly and has been in storage for numerous years i believe. I've been told it cost about 300 in the late 80's. Anyone able to assist with info regarding changing the electroluminescent backlight please? Regards.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2005 12:02 Send this review to a friend
GREAT scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one FINE scanner. I used it on a commercial fishing boat as a DF rcvr connected to a psuedo doppler ADF setup. The 2004 performed way better than plastic cased scanners which probably got RF leakage into the chassis from all the stuff we had going on the boats. The 2004's major weak point is the display backlight. It wears out. The 2004 had a good front end, didnt get swamped by VHF and UHF pager transmitters which would wipe out reception on some lesser quality scanners. It was a very respectable VHF performer. Could hear weak signals better than some decent marine VHF transceivers. Everyone who owned one seems to have made the cell phone mod. Fairly useless now that most cells are digital. It sure paid off big on one boat though. They nabbed a comm from one boat to another telling about a fantastic school of herring and exactly where it was. They paid for the 2004 many many times over that night.

W5JLH Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2004 00:18 Send this review to a friend
Changed Design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a Realistic PRO-2004 since they came out in 1988. I remember pouring over the catalog and eventually buy the thing on TSP. $400 Bucks to me then was a small fortune, almost 2 mortgage payments... I enjoyed the scanner and eventually did the cell phone mod which worked perfect. After many years, the Backlight Panel went dark, but the radio kept working. I recently (last fall), saw some elctro-luminecent panels for sale in a parts catalog for around $3.99, I bought one and was able to replace it with a bright blue new one. I always hated the sloped panel on the front which made it hard to stack with my other radios, so I decided to change the appearance. I cut out a nice equipment rack panel and dremelled and carfully carved the chassis out of the radio and built it into a rack panel, I then added an s-meter and a COR light, front panel speaker and a mute switch. This thing looks like a RACAL or Watkins Johnson now. Will explore MILSAT SATcom now...LOL! Added some brushed aluminum handles this idea might catch on for scanner manufacturers if they would just make them look like radios...LOL 73's

AF1952 Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2003 22:44 Send this review to a friend
An oldie but a goody.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Pro-2004 in 1988 and it has never let me down. As a UK purchaser I was not cursed with the missing cell phone frequencies problem , therefore the only mods required were the extra 100 channels and scan speed. I guess I must be lucky as 16 years later my backlight is still working as new. The only problem I have encounted is the appearance of puncture holes in the membrane key pad , although I suspect this is due to damage caused by a curious house cat. I note however that the membrane conceals fairly robust mini switches so the damage is only aesthetic.

I have purchased three more up-to-date scanners this year which have greater sensitivity than the 2004, but this old teenager still gives a good account of itself. There is no doubt that the 2004 is easy to program and all settings ( mode, steps and delay ) can be changed on the fly at anytime. The modern scanners I have do not allow this and any changes involve going through a complex sequence of knob turning and/or key pushing. My new scanners all program differently and I have to keep referring to the user manuals, however the 2004 is self explanatory and logical to use.
I still use my 2004 every day and would not part with it, how can you get rid of an old faithfull friend ?!!.

G4IRX Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2003 15:37 Send this review to a friend
A trend setter.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine used after selling a PRO2005 in 1990.
Performance in strong signal areas appeared to be much better than the 2005, I suspect due to the metal case.
Mainly used for VHF and UHF airband reception where the weak signal performance seems excellent.
The downside was dry joints on the CPU board, due to poor-quality plated through holes. I stripped the unit and put wire links in these, soldered top & bottom, no problems for 10 years since! Also did the 400ch and speedup mods at the same time.
The user interface is so intuitive compared with other scanners, I have never been to use AOR, Yupiteru without constant reference to the handbooks!
Very good value for money. If it were not for the dry join problem it would rate a 5!

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2003 12:41 Send this review to a friend
best scanner i've owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
i had this scanner since they came out and i had others, but since sold them all and keep the 2004. Guys i have heard of the mods for this radio where can i get a copy to mod the memory and s-meter
thanx
w3nrl

WORLDWIDE390 Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2003 12:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great unit, easy to mod and has not given me any trouble. Would buy another one if I could find one.