Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Realistic PRO-2004 Help

Reviews Summary for Realistic PRO-2004
Realistic PRO-2004 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: Realistic PRO-2004
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Realistic PRO-2004.

WA4AOS Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2003 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Best Over All..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Pro 2004 for my dad some years ago and after his death, the unit was given back to me. I read what I could about the 2004, 2005 and 2006 on the Internet and decided to buy a 2006 and later sell the 2004. Upon receiving the Pro 2006 and inspecting both the 2004 and the 2006 on the bench, I was disappointed with the PRO 2006. Checking the sensitivity on both units, I found the Pro 2004 to be slightly more sensitive than the 2006. The case of the 2006 is cheap plastic and no internal shielding, as one would expect. This allowed computer clock racket to get into the 2006 while the 2004 never broke squelch setting in the same location. The Display is smaller on the 2006 as well as the knobs. I initially thought the keypad on the 2006 might be better than the 2004 but I ended up taking the 2006 apart and cleaning the contacts due to some oxidation that had managed to corrupt the 1 and 2 buttons on the keypad.
In contrast the keypad on the 2004 is a sealed unit that has excellent tactile response and should be immune to problems that the more open 2006 has. I found some 3Ē Aluminum tape that I was able to cover the inside of the 2006 case with. This allowed the 2006 to operate next to my computer system without racket from the computer getting into the 2006, as was the case initially.
After shielding the 2006 case and rechecking against the 2004, I found both units to be closer in sensitivity in fact they were neck in neck.
Both the 2004 and 2006 are excellent scanners in that they are easy to upgrade and open up. Both have very good sensitivity and good audio. I honestly believe the 2004 to be the better unit with its more professional construction and larger display.
The one problem is that the backlight for the 2004 is no longer available from Tandy, however, it is available for the 2006. I have found a source for a backlight equivalent that is not perfect but is very nice. It just takes a little finesse to change this out. I have already repaired 5 of the 2004ís with new backlights for friends and have given some thought to making a replacement kit available or do this as a service.
The other thing that I have done to all of the 2004ís and 2006ís that have crossed my bench is to remove the resister that allows the display to come on when the dimmer switch is in the low position. This allows the display backlight to either be off or ( on-High ) Obviously, you leave it off when you are not needing to read the display which is most of the time. In ambient light the display is perfectly readable even with the backlight off and not really needed. This should greatly lengthen the display backlight life.
Removing the backlight low level resistor on the 2006 is more challenging unless you are familiar with SMT components. They are very small and a challenge to work with. On the 2004 this is easier to do and can be accomplished in less than an hour.
Other mods for opening up the 2004 and 2006 for additional frequency coverage are well documented and I will not waste more space here going into those mods.
Bottom line. The 2004, 2005 and 2006 are very good receivers. The 2004 is built the way that the 2005 and 2006 should have been. However, with some internal shielding of the 2006, the sensitivity is improved and noise corruption is reduced. I have decided to have 2 Pro 2004ís running as opposed to one fast 2006. I really donít need 400 memories anyway and with a pair of 2004ís, I always have a spare unit should either one ever need my service. I will be glad to offer help with mods for the 2004, 2005 or 2006 or basic information via emailÖ

NRDMAN Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2002 07:15 Send this review to a friend
A great scanner, a classic, even today!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 2004 right after they first came out, and I still have it sitting next to my bed.

After I had it a few days, I did the 400 channel and speed mod, and a couple of other ones too ;). After Bill Cheek's scanner book came out, I decided to try some of the add on mods, like an S-meter, a receive light, and I also replaced the display backlight for the first time.

After all the mods I decided to keep were done (I removed the receive light), I was getting ready to put everything back together, and I touched the S-Meter PC board to the chassis of the 2004, and it popped and went totally deaf. I sent it to G&G, and a couple of weeks later, it came back, working but way out of alignment. After about an hour of warm up, I aligned it per Cheek's book, and it was a killer.

Since then, it's been on 24/7, and works great. The S-Meter is a very handy thing to have when testing antennas.

Positives:

Metal Case.
Good sound and audio power.
Squelch has no slop, set it once, and pretty much hear it all.
Very good reciever. Even more so after alignment. Some are way off right out of the box, that goes for the 2005 and 2006 too.

Negatives:

Membrane Keypad
Display backlight has short life.
Slow scan speed compared to todays scanners.
110 volt power supply problems, mine has been fine for almost 15 years.
Some of them have problems with bad solder joints.

KA6CAI Rating: 4/5 Apr 20, 2001 11:49 Send this review to a friend
300 channels can easily be converted to 400  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the scanner used and already been modified. there are further modifications if one is interested in a faster speed and even more memory. The only thing going against the rig is that it's not grounded properly in the AC cord and has a high pitched whistle on each recieved transmission. The sound squelch is good if you live around RF interference. I added an amplified speaker to bring better tone quality. Reception is ok but could be better in sensitivity.