Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | DX Engineering DXE-RTR-1 Receive Antenna Transceiver Interface Help

Reviews Summary for DX Engineering DXE-RTR-1 Receive Antenna Transceiver Interface
DX Engineering DXE-RTR-1 Receive Antenna Transceiver Interface Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $139.95
Description: This unit allows you to add a dedicated receive antenna to HF transceivers which lack a separate RX antenna input port.

It is a unique multi-purpose switch unit which automatically or manually switches the RF output antenna connector on any HF transceiver between a separate receiving antenna system and a standard transmitting antenna. The switching is fast enough - about 4 ms. - to allow QSK CW operation. In its simplest application, it allows you to add a receiving preamp to improve reception of those really weak ones.

The DXE-RTR-1 enables operators to enjoy the improved reception that a low noise receiving antenna system offers. Connection to a Beverage, Receive Four- Square, Active Receive Antenna, and other receiving antennas and accessories is now possible, safely, only with the DXE-RTR-1.

More info: http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-rtr-1a

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering DXE-RTR-1 Receive Antenna Transceiver Interface.

KD8IGK Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2014 22:47 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one of these to use with my SDR radios. I wanted it so I could listen on both my main rig and the SDR at the same time. I tried making my own switch with a relay etc, but I never obtained the isolation I wanted. I am using what the manual refers to as Diagram 10. I also used the DXE-RSC-2 with it as the manual recommends. I wished I had gotten one of these a long time ago.

W9BKR Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2013 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Great device - Great Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one of these, let it go later on, now I need one again...will I buy one? You bet...these guys are great to help you with any questions and the unit works effortlessly to allow you to safely use a receive antenna with a transmit antenna, safe guarding your receiver's front end....get one, won't be sorry!

WD4ELG Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2013 04:33 Send this review to a friend
Flawless  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a Flex 3000 with no separate receive antenna input. For the low bands, I need this device to hear the DX on a beverage or other directional receive antenna. The device is simple to set up, and works perfectly. Thanks, DX Engineering, for another outstanding product and excellent customer service.

N8IL Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2013 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got interested in separate receive antennas, but I have a Yaesu FT-950 transceiver with no dedicated receive antenna port. The RTR-1A made it easy to do so, protecting a passive beverage and an active receive antenna. I'm very satisfied with the results and would recommend the interface to anyone with a similar need!!!!

-Neil N8IL

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2012 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent T/R switch.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using this switch for a different purpose than the others who have reviewed it so far. One of the circuit diagrams in the manual shows the RTR-1 used as a T/R switch to switch between a transmitter and a receiver in the old way. I'm using this to make a modern direct sampling receiver station using the Elecraft KX3 transceiver (the receiver in the KX3 is the direct sampling type) and the Quicksilver QS1r receiver. One of the few limitations to the KX3 is the recieve/transmit spread of plus/minus 15 kHz. Using a separate receiver fixes this problem.

When the switch on the RTR-1 is in the up position the KX3 is connected to the antenna (there is only a main antenna in this case, no separate receiving antenna). When in the centre position the QS1r is connected. This is a spring loaded switch and when you press it down it lets you listen momentarily to the KX3. When you transmit the keying line in the KX3 connects the KX3 transmitter in all positions of that switch and does it in 4 ms.

It would be impossible to work contest or expedition stations using a wide spread in frequency between transmit and receive (on 40 m for instance) using the KX3 alone. By using this combination you can use that momentary down position of the RTR-1 switch to locate a likely transmit frequency in the pile-up quickly. Switching the KX3 with the RTR-1 only involves switching a maximum of 12 watts, the Ten Tec 418 amplifier is driven by the output from the RTR-1.

The other functions needed are not accomplished by the RTR-1, unfortunately. I use an Ameritron buffer (ARB-704) to key a muting relay for the QS1r and a small mixer to combine the stereo outputs of the two receivers into one stereo stream for headphones.

THe QS1r is a superior receiver and the receiver in the KX3 was recently positioned #1 by Sherwood Engineering in the sorting method they used to rate receivers, above both the FTDX5000 and the K3. Both receivers can be computer controlled as the KX3 has I and Q outputs. The DX Engineering RTR-1 makes it possible to combine these two great little radios into a compact station. Thank you DX Engineering!

W5DQ Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2011 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent design!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Note to Self: Learn to UNDERSTAND the manual.

I am one of those rare individuals that actually takes time to read the manual before using a new piece of equipment, being it a toaster, a leaf blower or a new piece of ham gear. The RTR-1 was no exception ... or so I thought. I actually downloaded the manual and read it through before deciding to buy the RTR-1. I have a TS-940S and it has a RX ant input port but it is switched in and out of the input via a physical slide switch on the BACK apron of the radio. Accessibilty to do this is NOT a luxury in my shack nor anyone's I would think the way the 940 is laid out in back.

So I like the idea of being able to switch in the new Pixel RF PRO-1A Magnetic Loop RX Antenna I won at Visalia this year. The RTR-1 layout was ideal and simple but effective - actually to effective for my simple understanding :(. Like I said I had read the manual and thought I understood it. I received the RTR-1 very quickly from DXE and opened it up and put it on the bench for a quick switching test. 12V in..check, shorting cable for keying line attached ..check, so far so good. Switch the RTR-1 on, put it in a RX ant active position and .. NADA, nothing, the red LED that was supposed to light up showing the RX ant port was active and ready didn't light up. I went through a series of things to figure out why and still nothing. Not happy so far, I shot an email to DXE on Tues evening and waited. No reply came all day Wednesday. So I called on Thurs morning and talked to Ron. After talking with Ron about my issue, I soon realized although I had read the manual, I had failed to understand the manual. I guess this is a common thing with many people who buy the RTR-1. By the time I had hung up, I was wearing egg on my face realizing my folly.

My misunderstanding came from the design of the keying socket. It is insulated from ground and uses the shield of the coax from the radio to the RTR-1 as a return path for the keying ground. Just shorting the keying line socket on the RTR-1 won't do it and without the return path, the RTR-1 won't go into a RX active switch mode thereby protecting the RX antenna and the RTR-1 from RF when it isn't expecting it. A very ingenious design but can lead to confusion in the new user.

After I understood the design and how it was supposed to work, all was well and the RTR-1 works excellent. It is solidly built and somewhat weighted so it doesn't slide around at all. It is a convenient size so it fits well into my layout without getting lost in the controls or looking like a big brute box. The front panel design is well laid out with power on one side and antenna switch on the other to avoid accidently reaching for the wrong switch. The LEDs for POWER ON and RX ANT ACTIVE are bright and well placed.

The RTR-1 is fast at switching, rated at 4ms delay. I used it on CW at 30wpm and it had no problems keeping up with that speed. One of the best features I think is the ability to 'sample' the MAIN ANT while using the RX ANT by simply pushing down on the ant switch to the momentary (non-locking) position to hear the MAIN ANT. Releasing goes back to the RX ANT with no further actions needed. The RTR-1 can remain in line at all times and need no be removed to work with the main antenna solely. I have 4 antennas that can be switch between 2 radios. The four antennas can be switched in seperately from the RTR-1 and then the chosen one can be switch between it and the Pixel RX ant for RX.

I feel that the RTR-1 has the excellent quality and workmanship I have come to expect for a great comapny like DX Engineering. I look forward to using it as an integral part of improving my low band capabilities from now on.

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA

N3LCW Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2010 16:44 Send this review to a friend
DX Engineering adds another excellent transceiver accessory.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using this accessory lets me switch from my regular QRO transmit antenna to my much quieter magnetic loop receive antenna safely. Using a vertical has been great for DX but my magnetic loop antennas have always been magnitudes quieter on receive helping me hear DX near the noise floor. Ever since adding this to my FT-847 I have been able to copy the DX that I was missing with my transmit antennas. The safety feature ensures I don't accidentally transmit into my receive loop and arc-over the loop tuning capacitor.

The user manual also gives other uses, including switching in things like preamps.

The workmanship is first class, rugged, and professionally built.

I highly recommend this to anyone whose transceiver does not have a separate receive connector.

Andrew
N3LCW

SM7JKD Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2009 10:50 Send this review to a friend
Don't have a seperate RX input, then this is for you.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having previously had a seperate RX input on other rigs for such antennas, I was a little surprised that my FT 950 had no such input.
I am a keen dx'er on 80 mtrs,and in the heat of the moment, when switching from the vertical array to my beverage, nearly tx'd on the beverage. Running 1 KW, the result could easily have been a disaster...
What to do ?
I had a tip from a US ham about DX Engineering's RTR-1. I downloaded the manual, liked what I saw and read, and mailed DXE, with some questions.
I had an immediate response(within 24 hrs) from them, and satisfied that all was ok, ordered one unit.

All I can say is, it is brilliant. It does what DXE says,it is very easy to install (excellent manual),and looks great.
This is very cheap insurance.

So thank you DXE.

Ps,I have not had any prior dealings with this company, and their service matches an excellent product.