Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Acom 1011 Help

SWR: 1:3 Max. (=240W Ref. Max), extra Tuner not needed
Bypass: SWR < 1.1:1, max. 200W
Intermodulation: Better than 35dBc at nominal Output
Side Wave Supression: Better than 50dB at nominal Output
Freq.: 1.8 to 29.7MHz (160 to 10m)
Power: 500W continous (at 60W Input), 700W PEP (11dB Gain)
2 Antenna Connectors
Power Supply: 85-132 V/170-264 V AC, 50-60 Hz, one phased, 1200VA
Weight: 32Lbs (18Kg)
Size: ~ 16 Wide, 12 deep, 7 Heigh (measured in Inch)
Operating Tempreture: 32°F to 122°F (0° to 50°Celsius)
Fits FCC and CE Standards, Several Safety Circuits
Manual in English www.difona.de/pdf_en/acom1011_manual.pdf
For more Product Information Call Producer in Bulgaria: 359 2 920 9655
More info: http://www.acom-bg.com/

You can write your own review of the Acom 1011.

VK1MAT Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2014 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Nice Clean Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I did a lot of research on various amplifiers that would suit the Australian 400w limit.
I could have purchased many more powerful amplifiers, but also required an amp that could be taken out for field days and provide a clean output.
The added bonus was the Australian dealer provided a 1 year warranty on tubes and 2 years on the amp according to their website.
The ACOM 1011 does all of the above. BUT.
Within a month of purchase I called Val with an issue, he said a tube had died. I sent the Amp back to the Australian dealer for repair.
I did not see the Amp again for several months for a "tube" replacement.
When I did get the Acom 1011 back, a note from the dealer suggested that I was LUCKY they replaced the tube and they do not warrant output devices.

Another tube died maybe 2 months later. Val had sent me the tube replacement instructions, so instead of wasting several months again on the tube "warranty" through the Australian dealer, I replaced them myself at my own cost.
I found that the tubes installed were cheap chinese branded and the Australian Authorised dealer had damaged the left hand socket during the previous tube replacement.

Needless to say I'm very disappointed in the service provided through the ACOM Dealer. But when the amp is working it is everything I expect.

This is not an indication of the Acom build quality, or specifications. I suspect it is the cheap tubes provided.

The ACOM 1011 is going strong after quality tubes were installed.

6W7RV Rating: 1/5 Apr 16, 2014 04:37 Send this review to a friend
A tube's serial killer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
4 years now i get this amplifier;
that means arround 80 000 QSO,

before 2 last tubes = 20 000 QSO,
the last 2 new tubes = 900 QSO

..... that means 8X2 tubes in replacement in only less than 4 years! It costs me more with tubes than the amplifier.

I'm looking for stronger Tubes, of course NOT chinese, but not sur others would work longer.

Best 73 (barefoot of course)

NM6E Rating: 4/5 Dec 17, 2013 19:04 Send this review to a friend
Update After 2 Years - Tube Died  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it back in December of 2011 and after 2 years, I just lost a tube with what I consider "mild" use these last 2 years.

I honestly expected a good 4-7 years before I had to think about changing a tube but stuff happens.

While being repaired, there is a Plate mod kit mentioned by others in their reviews of which the mod kit was added.

Either way, it has served me well and Array Solutions did a great job of getting it back up and running with the addition of the ACOM plate mod kit.

It's a great little amp and runs superb with 120VAC and 600-700w out.

I am now thinking of up-grading to the ACOM 1500 for the extra power but I need to get an electrician to run 220v into the home office.

No regrets with the ACOM 1011.

PA3HHO Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2013 11:58 Send this review to a friend
Best amplifier money can buy!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this amp used from the 2nd owner who got it from a dealer in France. The early 1011's did have problems and burned 4CX250B's like candles. Mine was modified by the French dealer. There is a factory modification that involves installation of an addition PCB. It's standard since 2011 I think, and was installed in older models under warranty (check with your Acom dealer). Having said that, my 1011 works flawlessly. Input impedance of my old Heathkit SB-200 varied tremendously depending on tune/load settings, the Acom 1011 is steady as a rock and always presents a stable 50 Ohms to the transceiver. I love the TRI feature which really lets you tune the amp in less than 10 seconds. I also love the fact that it is not picky the antenne load, it can serve antennas with SWR up to 1:3 directly. In practice, this really works well. I use resonant antennas only but SWR on band edges is around 1:2. I no longer use a tuner, I just let the Acom 1011 handle the mismatch directly. Excellent feature. In PA we're only allowed to transmit with max. 400W PEP, this amplifier is the ideal +6dB generator. I normally drive it with 25 - 30 Watts (depending on band) for 400W output. When driven with 35 - 45 Watts it easily hits 700W. Check it out: http://youtu.be/ePQtO9z3Gyo

OE5RBO Rating: 3/5 Aug 8, 2013 02:27 Send this review to a friend
moderate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own my 1011 since end of 2011 and i choosed is because i thought it to be a good ratio on Quality/Price/Output. Also that the 4CX250 is a reliable and cost-effective tube brought me to buy the device.

So far so good and to be honest: I am not a highly active shortwave Operator, so the 1011 didnīt got a many operating hours in 2011. In 2012 (January) a Strom "grounded" my Tower - so qrt for 6month and Holiday to the PA.

But i 2013, i got the callsign OE2013X and so the 1011 got some work, always very carefully tuned with highly reduced drive - never overloaded following the manuals spec and running on resonant antennas. Doing a exzellent job, but in SSB and about 4000qsoīs everyone can estimate that even this activity does not caused a lot of Operation-hours at full scale.

Shortly after the OE2013 session, the PA lost Output to max. 350W. So i sent it to my dealer: One tube blown! Letīs buy a new set of matched ones...
If i would forced the PA to its limit or more, it would be logical, but i never pushed it to/over its limits.
That was very disappointing for me - so because i already have it, i will keep it. Wouldnīt buy it again.

As all Acomīs the PA is easy to tune - this is all perfect in daily operations. I donīt like the airblower, they are to loud and could be more silent.
Maybe the 1010 with one tube is more reliable than the 1011.

ps.: There are some guys that tell their 1011 would run at 1100 - 1200W P-out and this for years.
Take it easy and check the powersupply: The supply never can generate the power for even 1000W PEP. Even that this power exceeds the tubes specification so far, they would be blown shortly.

IW7CDL Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2012 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Can't get the point...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can't get the point. This amplifier is rated 500W / 700W PEP... It's clearly written on Page 3, Para 1-1 of the user manual:
"It provides over 700 PEP of output power (or 500W in continuous-duty operation) with less than 60W of drive."
Why people are expecting MORE power from it?
I just bought it and it's working fine, plug-and-play amplifier, running smoothly without issues.
If you overdrive your amplifier thinking you're gonna get more power, all you have is to BURN you tubes...

F4EIT Rating: 1/5 Feb 24, 2012 04:33 Send this review to a friend
pannes  Time owned: months
Hello,
I'm like Jean Francois 6W7RV, it is unthinkable that a house like ACOM can bring to market an amplifier that is not in point.Je myself rely on the good reputation of ACOM 1000 1010 and 2000 so I bought the in 1011. What a disappointment.
Buy on 08.08.2011, the first failure 15/11/2011 more power refers to the unit in Germany (my provider) COST 150 EUROS.Changement Shipping Tubes HS. Meanwhile I received a plate to be installed for the protection of tubes!!
2nd failure on 15/02/2012 obliged to excite the amp with the transceiver with 40 watts for 600 watts There no problem, but to economize the tubes and not in need of 600W but only 300 to 400 W
I will stir up the transceiver with 30 and there wtts more power on the amp.
While this device worked properly since returning from repair until 15/02/2012. I remain with a 600W power until when???

6W7RV Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2012 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Life time lamp 4CX250B  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello,
I purchased an Acom 1011 Amp in June 2010 in France for my shack in Senegal.
I wanted an amplifier, simple, reliable and robust.
I hesitated with the Acom 1010 but the salesman advised me on 1011. I think I'd take the 1010 because it was tested without a more "youthful indiscretion".
At first I had problems with this amp: the lamps are broken after a few hundred QSOs.
I had to return the amplifier to the dealer in France then back in Senegal.
Meanwhile I had many contacts with Acom Bulgaria. The exchanges were a little difficult at first but as I insisted and then got free replacement lamps. I installed the 2 kits updated and now this amplifier is working properly.
Now, after about 45 to 50 000 QSO, I changed again the two lamps. They are broken.
QUESTION: Can anyone tell me what is the lifetime of your lamps? How many qso you did with a pair of 2 lamps?
In conclusion, now, after the 2 updates and 18 months of use, I think it's a good amplifier.
Best 73 from 6W.

WU1T Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2012 11:28 Send this review to a friend
Well made and easy to use.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a ham now for 22 years and HF SSB has always been my focus. I've never owned a linear amplifier until I bought my Acom 1011 a few weeks ago. I thought I'd buy an amp to bring a little more power to the table in marginal situations. My antennas are all homebrew wires. I don't need legal limit nor would it be appropriate for my antenna system.

Something in the 500-1000W range made sense. I was lured to the Acom by the good reviews of both Acom and their stateside distributor, Array Solutions. I could have bought an AL-811 for half the price but I think I'd always have it in the back of my mind that I bought something that was built on the cheap. Not so with the Acom.

Array Solutions was very fast to answer all my questions and subsequently to test and ship the amp once I pulled the trigger. The amp arrived safely in perfect condition. Couldn't have been easier. I had an electrician install a 240V circuit in my shack ahead of the arrival of the amp. I think it can be tapped to run 120V but it made sense to give it 240V.

The amp powered up with no drama and no problems. The manual is straightforward. I bought an LP-100A RF wattmeter from Telepost to pair with the amp, as well as a Palstar AT2K antenna tuner. Paired together with a Kenwood TS-590 and a key cable that Array sold me, everything got hooked up easily and on the air in no time.

The amp works great and is VERY easy to tune. The 3-LED indicator scheme for LOAD is real nice. It takes seconds to tune this amp up. I run mine a little conservatively (by turning the drive down on the transceiver). Usually about 400-500 watts with around 25-30 watts in. A little more drive will get you over 600 easily. The fan is pretty quiet, although I haven't owned other amps to compare.

Really happy so far with this amp.

N4GW Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2011 07:19 Send this review to a friend
I like this amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this from Array Solutions a few weeks ago, I emailed to Bob at ARRAY SOLUTIONS quite a few times, and he did a great job at answering my questions, I was debating between the ACOM 1010 and the 1011 and chose the 1011 due to the fact this it was little more economical, especially if you had to replace the tubes.

The amp is excellent. Very easy to tune. Just center the LEDs and you are set. And this amp even protects you from yourself. If you forgot to set the band switch or something, the amp stops you. Having the capability of the amp to handle an SWR up to 3:1 is like having a built in tuner. And the ability to hook two antennas is also very nice

The fan noise in no louder than any other high-end amp on the market. You will not be disappointed in any of ACOMS amps. Great product!