Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-4/160 MC-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-4/160 MC-1
Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $475
Description: The Hi-Q-4/160 will cover the 10-160 M bands (i.e.: 1.8 MHz to 30 MHz.) It is the PATENTED version of the standard
Hi-Q Series of HF mobile antennas. Similar in size as the Hi-Q-4/80, that is: 5" diameter loading coil by 10" long (8" usable coil).
More info: http://www.hiqantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-4/160 MC-1.

N9NQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2013 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Replacement  Time owned: more than 12 months
A year or so ago I had a coil to get loose inside. Charlie tore down a Military antenna and sent that coil to me. Don't ever say that Charlie won't go out of his way to take care of a customer. He did not have a replacement for me so this is what he did. That is customer service at it's best. If it is possible for him to take care of you he will. I can understand perfectly why he had an issue with the disappointed customer. It is the customers loss not Charlie's. I have 3 of these. One set up as a dipole that is only about 3s units lower output than my 80 meter dipole while operating on 80 meters. It is a great antenna and you can't ask for better customer service. If you treat people with some respect and within reason you will get the same in return.

Robert N9NQ

AF6OH Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2013 10:07 Send this review to a friend
excellent antenna products i would highly recommend them  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Hi-Q family of antennas for more than 10 years and have nothing but praise for the quality, price and performance,in my business I supply special communications platforms for the military and have always found these products to perform better than advertised.

I was troubled to find another ham speaking poorly of the company on eHam. His comments are seen below with the response from Charlie at HiQ. Read the for yourself:
He wrote in e-ham Antenna Review, dated 2/4/13
I bought a 4/80 and within 3 mos. The antenna shorted out. I sent the coil back to Hi-Q and after talking with Charlie Gyenes, owner, he said he would replace the coil.
Today, after he told me, he did not have the money to replace the coil for another 6-12 mos.
I told him I would be using a scorpion in the future.

Now read the truth!
The NL7NP Ron Lewis history.

1.His Hi-Q-4/80 antenna is many years old. DID not contact Hi-Q when burned the loading coil.
The arcing occurred due to a DIRTY loading coil (road grime from winter salty road coupled with a FOGGY DAY)!

Hi Q is giving warnings to KEEP the LOADING coil CLEAN!

His coil had 240 ohms on the dirty side and 4.5 mega ohms on the clean (back side).

2.On 12/30 12 he has ordered the Piranha antenna, I extended the Christmas Special offer (that was NOT applicable to the Piranha purchase).
In addition I offered to pay the $50.00 shipping price as a Christmas bonus. Antenna was shipped on 12/31 (Hi-Q is still closed for the Holydays.)

He was in the hurry to get it.

3.By his own mistake did pay the shipping cost, when I noticed that, I told him that I will refund it.
It is this time when he mentioned to me the damaged -4/80 antenna he has.

I asked him to send the COIL only of his Hi4 /80 that needs a new loading coil (at a cost of $300.00) I told him that I will repair it for FREE of charge

($50.00 for shipping he paid) a savings of $250.00!

How many supplier will giveaway $250.00 just because it is at the END of the Holyday season)!

I made it CLEAR that I will DO THAT WHEN I GET THE NEW SHIPMENT OF -4 LOADING COILS AS I HAVE NONE IN STOCK at present!

He said he can wait as he has the NEW Piranha antenna coming.

The coil has not even arrived and he calls if it is ready! He has called 3 times impatiently and I told him each time that it is a $27,000 investment on my part to have a production run and not ready to make the order just to deliver one coil.

I would order a new production run in a MONTH or SO! NOT 6-12 Mos.

He now became belligerent and profane, threatening to badmouth me and Hi-Q thru e-ham e-bay QRZ etc.
He has also used other hams names that he said they told him how bad Hi-Q and Charlie is.
Read his e-ham Reviews and make your own judgment.
I have and always been fair to all customers. I hate when they LIE and cheat!
I will use this MYEHAM format to set the record straight as e-ham DOES NOT allow the manufacturer to defend itself.
If he DOES NOT CORRECT or REMOVE his lies, I shall have my attorney to go after him.
I shall remove this posting after he has removed the e-ham etc. postings, plus send him the repaired loading coil when in stock.

73, Charlie W6HIQ

WA6MJE Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2010 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Beyond 5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Hi-Q 4/160 MC-1 for home "stealth" use. The quality of the build is superb. I am an old timer, and this reminds me of the old days when quality came first. Great fit, great design, fabulous finish. That is just the surface.

I am building a complete new communication system in a HOA restricted neighborhood. I started with a Buddipole, as a proof of the concept that I actually could do ham radio with low profile nearly invisible antennas. It worked well enough to keep me interested and the experiment convinced me to do my homework and improve every little thing to make the best of a bad QTH situation. Vertical polarization is about all I can do without getting lynched by my neighbors.

Once I discovered that a vertical antenna would work, I replaced parts of the Buddipole such as coax, radial wire, everything I could for "top of the line" components where it counted, to improve efficiency. When it came to the radiator and coil, a screwdriver was the obvious choice so that I could be spot-on wherever I went on any band without having to go outside to make adjustments.

Then I looked a the world of screwdriver antennas. Everything I needed or wanted was within the Hi-Q product line. I wanted a high Q large diameter coil to minimize coil loss. Center loading. A capacitive hat to lower the need for inductance. Even a wide diameter base to lower ohmic resistance where current is highest. All of these little performance features contribute in small ways to more overall efficiency, exactly what I wanted and what I got. I feel I have made the best of my limited situation in terms of a stealthy, portable antenna that I put away when not in use. I am making DX contacts easily, in a difficult residential environment. I never thought this would be possible. Here are my suggestions for others.

1) Hams should start to think of these "mobile antennas" as really a solution for those of us in HOA restricted situations. Listing this antenna in the mobile antenna area is not the whole story.
2) Do your homework on what design features increase efficiency. Learn about coil Q, capacitive hats, base diameters, where to place the coil loading, whip length, radial configurations and so on. I think the answers to those questions will lead you to the Hi-Q product line.
3) Do not equate small, low or hidden antenna with poor performance. If you follow sound antenna design principles, and improve efficiency every way you can, you will have great overall performance. I have been inactive as a ham for several decades not knowing that it was possible to have good performance in my limited situation. Now I know I can.

I highly recommend Hi-Q antennas for a home station where every conceivable performance feature makes a difference. I could not find any other "screwdriver" type antenna base with every design feature the engineering literature told me to look for.

N3MX Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2010 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this antenna installed for a little over 3 months now. I have tried several previous mobile HF antennas and this is the best I have tried so far. Construction is superb and performance is outstanding. It has out performed my previous HF antennas by a large margin. I took a long time in making my decision to purchase this antenna. Charlie was simply fantastic to deal with and answered all of my many many questions. I have made many contacts on all bands 160 thru 6. My first 160m mobile contact ever was 800 miles out barefoot from IC-7000 and a 55 report. I am looking forward to the Fall/Winter conditions. I do not think you can go wrong with any of Charlie's antennas. Just make sure you take your time and do your homework for a proper installation. You will not be disappointed!

N5TGL Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2010 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Great performance and great looks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna last year, but only recently have mounted it on my car. I too did a lot of research, and came to the same conclusion as others on here: Hi-Q is the best remotely tunable antenna on the market.

I have two whips with mine, a 102" and a 48". The 48" gets out like gangbusters on 20m. One of my first contacts was to a JA1 on the way to work a few days ago. That was an impressive first contact! I've worked other folks here in the states with good signal reports. With the big whip it tunes 80m and 160m no sweat; I do use the MFJ-909 capacitive matcher to fix the impedance on the low bands.

I still need to clean up my wiring and get my radio properly mounted...all of which should help both on the RX and TX side. Even with a currently kludgy install, the performance is really impressive.

KH6MEI Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2010 22:00 Send this review to a friend
Best Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this antenna for several months now and cannot give it enough praise. Since I live in an apartment and cannot hang an antenna there I decided to go mobile. after months of searching and researching I bought the 4/160 antenna and have to say it just works. Set up was pretty easy I have to say. It did take me a month to decide how I wanted to mount the antenna but that's just me.

Charley the man behind the HI Q Antenna has always been very helpful, willing to listen and easy to get along with. He even answered his phone on Saturday to help me sort out an issue I had run into. I am in the customer service business and Charley provides outstanding customer service in my book.

Just two weeks ago using this antenna and an Icom 7000 at 100 watts I made a contact into South Africa Mobile! on 40 meters. How's that for performace.

If you're looking for a great mobile HF antenna, great support and making contacts mobile, I recommend HI Q. Aloha.

TRKR75 Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2010 16:11 Send this review to a friend
Simply the BEST  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I look and researched a lot before I decided to spend the money. I absolutely love this antenna. I have this mounted to my drivers side mirror on a T600 semi-tractor it gets a beating every day from the road I have had this antenna on for over 100,000 miles of the bumpiest roads from New York to California and back. This antenna provides arm chair copy all over the USA and into Europe and beyond. I get "are you sure you are mobile?" all the time and "I can't believe you are mobile, more like a big shack with a even bigger beam" and "if you are mobile then you must be running the legal limit for power." I only run barefoot 100watts. This is simply the best antenna out there hands down!! Charlie is great and the after the sale attitude and help is great. If you want to do ok then buy something else, if you want to send out arm chair copy all over then get a HI-Q

KY5Q Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2009 22:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna for the Serious Ham  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I sell Military electronics for a living. I like "right on" gear. I always buy or build the best. When I buy a car, I figure I'll get 200K miles out of it. When I buy a house, I figure I will live in it for decades. This antenna fits in with my strategy on life just fine.

I researched all the major and not-so-major manufacturers of mobile antennas. This one seemed to be "the best". I was not disapointed. First rattle out of the box, I mounted it on the back of my Ford Escape Hybrid, which was being towed across the country in by a 24' RV. I easily worked into Europe and Australia on 20 meters, and did not miss a beat with the USA locals on 40-160 meters. It performed FB, hands down.

I did buy 2 whips, one 4' long to make it easier to drive through toll-booths and drive-throughs, as well as a full length whip for operating 160 meters on the open road.

I had one problem that was caused by a short between my ears. I did not put the recommended tennis ball over the quick disconnect base when not in use. I lost the spring from the base. One simple phone call to Charlie and he replaced my spring - no charge - and sent it to me by first class parcel post. That is the service that I was hoping to get.

When I need another antenna, I am not going anywhere else. I'll stay with the one that brung me. Buy this antenna. You will not be unhappy.