Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BC346XT Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BC346XT
Uniden BC346XT Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $295
Description: Trunk Tracker III analog scanner capable of scanning EDACS, MOTOROLA, E.F. JOHNSON and conventional systems. The scanner includes 9000 Dynamically Allocated Channels, GPS Location-Based Scanning, Close Call RF Capture, Fire Tone-Out, Alpha Tagging, A Band Scope that graphically finds radio activity and a new feature the scanner supports is talk group priority scan.

Frequency Coverage 25-225 MHz, 400-512 MHz, 806-960 MHz, and 1240-1300 MHz (excluding cellular bands).
More info: http://www.uniden.com/products/productdetail.cfm?product=BC346XT&filter=TrunkTracker

You can write your own review of the Uniden BC346XT.

WNHY Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2014 08:41 Send this review to a friend
My Favorite Favorite  Time owned: more than 12 months
Has become my favorite over the past three years.
Good battery life. Great modulation. It stays quiet until there is traffic on the programmed channels. Sensitivity is very good both with the supplied and aftermarket antennas. Good sound and volume. A really nice feature in a mobile is that I can lock the keyboard and it stays locked until I unlock it. No worry of accidental keyboard changes. Doesn't unlock itself when I turn the radio off and back on. I listen to VHF L/H, Edacs and LTR so I don't need the extra expense of the BC396XT digital. I like the black face and the orange back light much better than the BC396XT.
I never charge battrys in the radio so the change to the BC346XTC is fine with me. I use mine for listening, but it has a lot of bells & whistles that I don't need but it is nice to know they are there if I should have a need of them. Tone-Out, Close Call,Service Search etc..
I have no interest in updating to the latest models as this model supplys all my listening needs.

DMC

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2012 19:44 Send this review to a friend
Very nice handheld scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
With several local public service systems going to new narrow band frequencies, especially on VHF, I needed to get a scanner that was capable of handling them. The receiver's perflormance is excellent. The sensitivity is extremely good. I use a very distant weather channel on VHF and a very distant UHF police repeater to test and compare it to other receivers. Both were easily heard with the supplied antenna. The selectivity is very good too. For that I use two local and powerful police repeaters that occupy adjacent frequencies to test for channel bleedover. None was heard. I have not explored the trunked radio system capability or the weather alert features yet. Mastering the programming and operating logic of this scanner takes a bit of practice, but once you understand the System -> Group -> Frequency hierarchy and the individual settings within each category, things start to get easier. I like being able to program frequencies for several different areas in the country I visit often and the ease with which I can change what I specifically want to montor. Lastly, this scanner feels good in your hand and seems to be well made and sturdy. I've owned a number of handheld scanners over the years and this one is great once you understand its operational logic.

LEM Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2010 22:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Handheld Scanner !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a uniden bc346xt back in october 2009 and must say, this is the best analog trunking scanner uniden has made to date,,Many , many new and updated features,,increased sensitivity, and selectivity make for great reception,,the audio is very good too, performance is better than my uniden br330t which i hold in high regard also,,,The 346xt has many advanced features, in such a compact unit..9000 channels, has lots of memory space..I also own a gre psr-300 handheld scanner which i gave a very good review on awhile back, and like also ...but i must say that the uniden 346xt recieves even more than my gre 300 does, and i live out in the country with mountains around me, and the 346 does a great job on reception, most all frequencies are clear too, all this on the included stock rubber duck antenna. I cant comment on the trunking part as we do not have trunking in my area..I highly recommend the uniden bc346xt handheld to anyone looking for a great performing analog trunking handheld scanner !

VE3VWX Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2009 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Significantly increased sensitivity  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent analog scanner. This scanner is basically an analog re-incarnation of the 396T/XT, something scanner enthusiasts have been asking for.

In comparison with several other Uniden scanners, the 246T, 396T, 996T, BCT15/X the sensitivity is significantly increased and the end user is finally presented with a relatively cheap analog scanner in a portable format that supports true dynamic memory allocation and comes with all the bells and whistles found in the more expensive digital models.

One draw back is that the scanner audio can be very tinny in NFM mode, something which can be somewhat remedied by setting the audio mode to FM. Tinny audio tends to enhance noise when in fringe areas or near leaky transmitter sites.

The noise rejection is significantly increased over previous models and the auto squelch makes operation care free.

How does this scanner compare with a true Motorola or G.E portable?

Well, it's apples to oranges, anything with a real front end that costs $800 or more should be superior! In comparison with a few Motorola MTX and G.E radios the audio quality is not bad, and the scanner will pull in a signal in most places that the other radios do however the scanner will suffer from significantly more interference and when dealing with extremely weak signals the MTX and G.E systems win out. The audio is definitely cleaner with the real radios but again it is not a night and day situation, the scanner is not too far behind.