Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP Antenna Products Mono Gap Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Antenna Products Mono Gap
Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $119.95 - 229.95
Description: A Mono GAP is a single band antenna that acts as an asymmetrically fed vertical dipole. Each Mono Gap is rated to handle the legal power limit and provide continuous coverage under 2:1 across the entire specified band.
More info: http://www.gapantenna.com/MonoGAP.htm

You can write your own review of the GAP Antenna Products Mono Gap.

KI4VH Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2014 17:47 Send this review to a friend
A great antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is no arguing that a vertical antenna is a compromise but for those of us with limited space, funds, HOA restrictions, etc. it can be a very productive and efficient alternative nonetheless. For a number of years I have been interested in the GAP vertical design which utilizes a modified vertical dipole theory. Their multi-band versions have put me off because they seem ďtoo busy.Ē Their assembly and maintenance look a bit much for me to handle. Iím sure they are all fine antennas as many amateurs have attested to on eham. But when I ran across the mono-band GAP a few years ago I was motivated to try one. I purchased the 20 meter version and had it ground mounted and on the air in less than two hours. The quality of the antenna is very good and the design almost flawless. It was very easy to ground mount using the provided drop mount and thanks to Georgiaís red clay it remains stable enough at my QTH without requiring a cement base to hold it in place. Wind resistance is 55mph free standing. The 20 meter version has three 11í counterpoise wires which can be placed on top of the ground and can easily be removed when yard work has to be done in the area. The foot print is very small and standing at only 16 feet it is very inconspicuous. The antenna can be painted and hid amongst trees or bushes for HOA restricted neighborhoods. The performance is outstanding. The SWR is almost flat from the top to the bottom of 20 meters. No tuning is necessary, no traps to adjust, or radials to add. Just assemble by the directions and youíre good to go. So how good is the performance? I have worked numerous DX stations with it using my Oak Hills Research QRP Spirit at 5 watts CW. My longest contact was with a Russian station 6K miles away. Thatís less than 1 watt per 1K miles! So if it can do that on QRP think about what it can do at the antennaís 1500 watt PEP limit. It is very easy to break down for portable use it would be a great antenna for Field Day. If my Hustler 4BTV ever gives up the ghost I would be tempted to try the 40 or 30 meter version. This is a great antenna at a great price.

K4JC Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2014 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Simple and efficient!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the past year I have had the chance to try out the new 60 meter version of the MonoGAP antenna. Yes it is a big antenna at 43 feet tall, but is so light that two people can easily erect it. From start to finish the total construction time was about 30 minutes. Certainly an easy antenna to put together! It has a small footprint so it doesn't take up too much space (the counterpoise wires don't have to be perfectly straight.) I would, however, recommend guying this antenna if it will be used in a permanent installation.

The 60 meter band is unique in that, in the U.S., there are only 5 frequencies (or "channels", if you will) authorized for Amateur Radio, power output is limited to 100 watts ERP, and only USB, CW and a handful of narrow bandwidth digital modes are permitted. These restrictions notwithstanding, I found the MonoGAP to be an amazing performer. The first two evenings of operating on the band I made contacts with nine states and 5 countries outside the U.S. (Canada, England, Norway, Sweden and Denmark.) Many of the contacts told me I had the strongest signal on the band! Two contacts I received 5/9 signals from at 100 watts gave me 5/7 reports when I dropped the power to QRP levels (5 watts.) To me that is a testament to the efficiency of the MonoGAP. I have truly been able to work everyone I've heard with this antenna.

More and more countries around the world are beginning to authorize Amateur Radio operations on 60 meters, and many DXpeditions are including some 60m operation when it's permitted. It is a band with propagation characteristics very different from those found on 40 or 80 meters, and it has been touted as an excellent alternative to those bands for regional emergency communications. Because the MonoGAP is such a lightweight and easy antenna to install, I can see it easily becoming a staple of emcomm operations, as well as a great way for more DXpeditions to include 60 meters in their plans.

I have used many GAP antennas over the years and, while they have their limitations in harsh environments, I've found that when properly built and installed they do a fantastic job.

W7VI Rating: 4/5 Jan 18, 2012 19:20 Send this review to a friend
preforms great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is my 3rd GAP. Two were great antennas; the wind took care of them at my last QTH; they bent in the middle( and I had them guyed. I aqain purchased one of GAP's; a new 30 meter Mono Gaps. I have had it about a year and it works great. What I do not like is the cable they use. I wish they would use something like the LMR family. If they did I believe it would be a 1st class design and a top quality antenna for the money. I have had to repair the cable twice due to weather not good. As an antenna they are great; but the cable needs improvement.

W7VI Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2012 18:44 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a 30 meter mono gap about a year ago.
This was my 3rd GAP and they all did a great job.
The only thing I do not like is the cable they use. I do not like working with it and I really do not care for the quality of the cable compare to LMR 200. I wish GAP would change the cable they use. The antenna is great this 30 Meter Mono Gap works great but the cable has been repaired to due wx .

K4JC Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2011 19:05 Send this review to a friend
A real champ!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This year I had the opportunity to borrow a 40 meter Mono Gap to try out over Field Day weekend, and for a couple of weeks afterward. I expected it to work well on 40 meters, but was pleasantly surprised to find excellent performance on 20, 15, and part of 10 meters as well (with a tuner, of course!) Construction was very simple and, once assembled, was very easy to "break down" and move around for portable or Field Day use. In fact, setup for FD took all of 10 minutes! The included mount just taps into the ground, and 3 counterpoise wires are included so you don't need a whole field of radials. Signal reports were very good running only 100 watts. We ended up with over 700 Field Day contacts, and my own post-FD experience was just as good. Received signals were at least an S-unit stronger than on my Hustler 6BTV (which is to be expected comparing a full size antenna over a trap vertical) and I liked the fact that the antenna works on multiple bands. It's too bad I had to give the Mono Gap back; it could have easily found a home in my antenna farm!

N4NMK Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2011 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Great single band ant. Easy up.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While experiencing a mechanical connection failure (Unk at the time)to my 4-band verical, I was scanning eham looking for a antenna I could put up for the CG Net/Maritime Moble Net at 1200 est on saturday. Found the GAP 20M Mono ant. Ordered one right away and put up in an hour upon delivery. Last Saturday's Net I was receiving S5-S9 reports from the 4 corners of the US from my QTH in Southern DE. Antenna is ground mounted in my back yard. NCS thought I'd slipped in a small beam or wire on him due to my strong signal. Xcvr is IC-746PRO at 100W. As I usually only work 20M this is the antenna I'm sticking with.

NZ5L Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2010 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna performed well out of the box. SWR was very low accross the band, even a fussy rig should not need a tuner. It has stood up well to gusty spring storms. As antennas go, it is attractive and not obvious when placed among trees.
Performance is what one would expect of a full size vertical with a near optimum ground radial screen.
The SWR was also low on 12 and 10, although the manufacturer makes no performance claims for those bands (and I have yet to make a contact with it on 10 or 12). The GAP folks say it's OK to try "anywhere the SWR is under 2:1, at 100W or less". It is about 1.7:1 on 12, slightly less on 10, although that says nothing about performance in and of itself.
I think this is a good product, performing well for what it is. Buy it if you need a reliable, no-tune omni-directional antenna, aka "Bird dog".

KE5OQV Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2010 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Execellent value/results for 20m Mono-GAP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a summary for my 20m Mono-Gap

Easy to assemble; less than 1 hour.
Easy to erect; tie wrap it to a bush or tree.
Low SWR out-of-the box; 1.4 to 1.6 depending on orientation of counterpoise.
Good on-the-air results with my Collins S-Line; 5x7 to 5x9 reports from Florida/Jamaica/East Coast stations

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2009 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Superb Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off let me say that I have know Rich and his assistant Chris for about 7 years now. Second, GAP Antennas are manufactured about 20 miles from my home here in Vero Beach, Fl. also I do not nor have I ever worked for Rich, my views are my own and do not reflect in any way of any bias for any antenna or antenna manufacturer.

Having said all that, I have used a 20 and a 40 meter Mono Gap for Field Day for the last 3 years with outstanding results. When our small club has field day I am usually asked are we getting the GAP mono band antennas? Absolutely.. these antennas do very well, the GAP 20 meter mono band antenna does very well on 10 and not to shabbily on 17 meters.

I do remember an incident in 2006, I don't think the mono band antennas were even on the market yet, got one to use to "try" it and to see how well it worked. We had finished most of the antennas, we had a Titan and an Eagle by GAP. All we had to do was get the radios, generators, etc. on line the next morning. As it so happened I had just finished putting the 20 meter GAP mono together, had my brand spanking new (1 week old) Yaesu FT-817ND, with a freshly charged battery in it raring to go. Had a couple of my friends still at the site so we decided to connect the 20 meter GAP mono band antenna to my FT-817. Now then, this is approximately 7:30-8:00 in the evening, was tuning around 20 and heard a lot of activity in the general portion of the band, tuned in the frequency, and put out my call, at the time I was AI4HO, once twice, finally after a third call I was answered. Turns out it was the World Cup (soccer) special Event station! My buddies are sitting there just in awe, the special event was a solid S-9 into Florida and I was a measly S-6 into Germany. When I told the operator on the other end what I was using he was astounded to say the least. He couldn't believe that I was QRP on a mono band verticle antenna. He didn't know that GAP was making mono band antennas, I told him that they aren't on the market yet that this one was an experimental antenna, to try for field day and to give rview on how well the antenna worked.

All I gotta say is that I have tried many different types of antennas over the past half dozen years. For the longest time I had either a GAP Challenger or the GAP Titan. When I put my tower and my Mosley TA-33 classic I had to get rid of my 4 year old Titan, that was knocking the socks off anything else I had tried. Just didn't have the room for my tower and the Titan, so the Titan had to go. Now then, I have my Mosley antenna at about 42', at around 38'I have a half wave tuned dipole for 40 meters, that is on the south side of my property. On the north side of my property, on a 30' push up pole with a 5' extension firmly attached to my house I have a Diamond V2000A verticle for 50/144/440MHz, at the level where the extension is attached on a home brew stand off I have a 102' G5RV type dipole. This past July 4th I finaly got a GAP Challenger up in the front yard. My next purchase will be the 40 meter GAP mono band, I hope you're reading this Rich, cause hopefully sometime after the first of the year I'm gonna be ordering one of you 40 meter antennas. Yes, the GAP mono band antenna is a superb antenna, pick your flavor, get it up and you are on the air. You've got a relatively small antenna that puts out a big signal!!

73 de Mark
W3LZK

KC9CZJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2009 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 20 meter Mono Gap is mounted about 40 feet from my house in a small garden next to a young oak tree. Itís fed with RG-8X coax, and I'm using a DX Engineering current choke near the antenna's feed point.

Following the instruction manual, the antenna was no problem to assemble. I did, however, cut my hands on a section or two.

After masking the insulators, I painted the 16' tall antenna and counterpoise with Rustoleum brand camo paint. The result was excellent, and the antenna does not stand out.

SWR on 20 meters and 10 meters is little above 1:1. In fact, it is so low that I was initially concerned and called GAP to check. The very helpful staff told me other customers have had luck with this antenna not only on 20 meters, but also on 10 meters.

Out of curiosity, I checked the SWR on all bands for which my FT-950 was designed. I found that in addition to 20 and 10 meters, I could tune 40 meters, 17 meters, and 15 meters, with the highest SWR on 40 meters (not surprising). For reference, my particular FT-950 seems to tune anything below about 3.5:1.

Incidentally, I would not try to use the antenna on anything other than 20 meters without a quality current choke, but it might be okay at your location with your system design. In addition, I would not try to use anything other than low power (barefoot or less) on bands other than 20 meters.

I was surprised at how well the Mono Gap hears and radiates compared to a multi-band dipole (Alpha Delta DX-EE) I utilized previously. With this antenna, Iíve heard countries that Iíve not heard in seven years at my QTH; however, in all fairness, the dipole was not oriented in a direction to hear them either.

Iíve had several QSOs on 20 meters with great signal reports. Ditto for 10 meters. Iíve had luck on 17 meters to the desert southwest from central Illinois, and on 40 meters to the Midwest. Havenít had a QSO on 15 yet.

Iím well pleased with this low cost, low profile, ďsingle bandĒ antenna. Will try the 40 meter version if ever I have more space.

Iíd definitely suggest this product to a friend.

Hope this helps. 73s