Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | GAP Antenna Products Mono Gap Help

Reviews Summary for GAP Antenna Products Mono Gap
Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $119.95 - 229.95
Description: A Mono GAP is a single band antenna that acts as an asymmetrically fed vertical dipole. Each Mono Gap is rated to handle the legal power limit and provide continuous coverage under 2:1 across the entire specified band.
More info: http://gapantenna.com/shop/mono-gap/mono-gap-antennas/

You can write your own review of the GAP Antenna Products Mono Gap.

NZ5L Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2010 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna performed well out of the box. SWR was very low accross the band, even a fussy rig should not need a tuner. It has stood up well to gusty spring storms. As antennas go, it is attractive and not obvious when placed among trees.
Performance is what one would expect of a full size vertical with a near optimum ground radial screen.
The SWR was also low on 12 and 10, although the manufacturer makes no performance claims for those bands (and I have yet to make a contact with it on 10 or 12). The GAP folks say it's OK to try "anywhere the SWR is under 2:1, at 100W or less". It is about 1.7:1 on 12, slightly less on 10, although that says nothing about performance in and of itself.
I think this is a good product, performing well for what it is. Buy it if you need a reliable, no-tune omni-directional antenna, aka "Bird dog".

KE5OQV Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2010 08:06 Send this review to a friend
Execellent value/results for 20m Mono-GAP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a summary for my 20m Mono-Gap

Easy to assemble; less than 1 hour.
Easy to erect; tie wrap it to a bush or tree.
Low SWR out-of-the box; 1.4 to 1.6 depending on orientation of counterpoise.
Good on-the-air results with my Collins S-Line; 5x7 to 5x9 reports from Florida/Jamaica/East Coast stations

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2009 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Superb Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off let me say that I have know Rich and his assistant Chris for about 7 years now. Second, GAP Antennas are manufactured about 20 miles from my home here in Vero Beach, Fl. also I do not nor have I ever worked for Rich, my views are my own and do not reflect in any way of any bias for any antenna or antenna manufacturer.

Having said all that, I have used a 20 and a 40 meter Mono Gap for Field Day for the last 3 years with outstanding results. When our small club has field day I am usually asked are we getting the GAP mono band antennas? Absolutely.. these antennas do very well, the GAP 20 meter mono band antenna does very well on 10 and not to shabbily on 17 meters.

I do remember an incident in 2006, I don't think the mono band antennas were even on the market yet, got one to use to "try" it and to see how well it worked. We had finished most of the antennas, we had a Titan and an Eagle by GAP. All we had to do was get the radios, generators, etc. on line the next morning. As it so happened I had just finished putting the 20 meter GAP mono together, had my brand spanking new (1 week old) Yaesu FT-817ND, with a freshly charged battery in it raring to go. Had a couple of my friends still at the site so we decided to connect the 20 meter GAP mono band antenna to my FT-817. Now then, this is approximately 7:30-8:00 in the evening, was tuning around 20 and heard a lot of activity in the general portion of the band, tuned in the frequency, and put out my call, at the time I was AI4HO, once twice, finally after a third call I was answered. Turns out it was the World Cup (soccer) special Event station! My buddies are sitting there just in awe, the special event was a solid S-9 into Florida and I was a measly S-6 into Germany. When I told the operator on the other end what I was using he was astounded to say the least. He couldn't believe that I was QRP on a mono band verticle antenna. He didn't know that GAP was making mono band antennas, I told him that they aren't on the market yet that this one was an experimental antenna, to try for field day and to give rview on how well the antenna worked.

All I gotta say is that I have tried many different types of antennas over the past half dozen years. For the longest time I had either a GAP Challenger or the GAP Titan. When I put my tower and my Mosley TA-33 classic I had to get rid of my 4 year old Titan, that was knocking the socks off anything else I had tried. Just didn't have the room for my tower and the Titan, so the Titan had to go. Now then, I have my Mosley antenna at about 42', at around 38'I have a half wave tuned dipole for 40 meters, that is on the south side of my property. On the north side of my property, on a 30' push up pole with a 5' extension firmly attached to my house I have a Diamond V2000A verticle for 50/144/440MHz, at the level where the extension is attached on a home brew stand off I have a 102' G5RV type dipole. This past July 4th I finaly got a GAP Challenger up in the front yard. My next purchase will be the 40 meter GAP mono band, I hope you're reading this Rich, cause hopefully sometime after the first of the year I'm gonna be ordering one of you 40 meter antennas. Yes, the GAP mono band antenna is a superb antenna, pick your flavor, get it up and you are on the air. You've got a relatively small antenna that puts out a big signal!!

73 de Mark
W3LZK

KC9CZJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2009 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My 20 meter Mono Gap is mounted about 40 feet from my house in a small garden next to a young oak tree. Itís fed with RG-8X coax, and I'm using a DX Engineering current choke near the antenna's feed point.

Following the instruction manual, the antenna was no problem to assemble. I did, however, cut my hands on a section or two.

After masking the insulators, I painted the 16' tall antenna and counterpoise with Rustoleum brand camo paint. The result was excellent, and the antenna does not stand out.

SWR on 20 meters and 10 meters is little above 1:1. In fact, it is so low that I was initially concerned and called GAP to check. The very helpful staff told me other customers have had luck with this antenna not only on 20 meters, but also on 10 meters.

Out of curiosity, I checked the SWR on all bands for which my FT-950 was designed. I found that in addition to 20 and 10 meters, I could tune 40 meters, 17 meters, and 15 meters, with the highest SWR on 40 meters (not surprising). For reference, my particular FT-950 seems to tune anything below about 3.5:1.

Incidentally, I would not try to use the antenna on anything other than 20 meters without a quality current choke, but it might be okay at your location with your system design. In addition, I would not try to use anything other than low power (barefoot or less) on bands other than 20 meters.

I was surprised at how well the Mono Gap hears and radiates compared to a multi-band dipole (Alpha Delta DX-EE) I utilized previously. With this antenna, Iíve heard countries that Iíve not heard in seven years at my QTH; however, in all fairness, the dipole was not oriented in a direction to hear them either.

Iíve had several QSOs on 20 meters with great signal reports. Ditto for 10 meters. Iíve had luck on 17 meters to the desert southwest from central Illinois, and on 40 meters to the Midwest. Havenít had a QSO on 15 yet.

Iím well pleased with this low cost, low profile, ďsingle bandĒ antenna. Will try the 40 meter version if ever I have more space.

Iíd definitely suggest this product to a friend.

Hope this helps. 73s