Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Icom PS-55 Power Supply Help

Reviews Summary for Icom PS-55 Power Supply
Icom PS-55 Power Supply Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: A Linear 20A output Power Supply for old and new 100W class Icom radios

You can write your own review of the Icom PS-55 Power Supply.

KM0PT Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2011 21:16 Send this review to a friend
Great PS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the PS-55 mated to my IC-751a and what a wonderful pair they make! I did my research and bought the best transceiver that I could find and so it is only decent that I do more research and back the exceptional radio up with an exceptional power supply!

The power supply is audibly silent as well as electrically silent with no noticeable ripple current.

A fan is needed for extended high watt digital communications as there is just so much heat that builds up over time. I have not had any problems with this yet, but I just don't like the idea of being able to fry an egg on the heat sink of my radios power supply.

I will recommend this ps to anyone with an older rig that switches the ps on through the radios wiring.

K7TCE Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2011 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The PS-55 matches the IC-735 and several other Icom radios. Mine has worked flawlessly for 15 years. There is no on/off switch, you press power on the transceiver and the PS turns on. The initial power surge is a bit noisy, but the PS runs cool and quiet and no sign of hum with mine. It would have been nice to have an aux. power output jack, but since the main transceiver controls the PS-55 I can see why Icom did not include one.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2009 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Linear Power Supply. If you have a newer Icom, read this.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi. I recently picked up this nice Linear Supply. If you have a newer radio, it will work fine, but not in the same matter as the older rigs, from the time period when it was designed.

I have a 745 I bought new. When the PS-55 is plugged into it, the PS comes on when the radio's power button is actuated. OK.

However, when used with my 706g or my 756PRO, when the PS and either radio is connected, as soon as you plug into 120VAC, the PS turns on, even if the radio is off. A couple of minutes looking at the schematics (with a BIG magnifier!! ha ha), shows that the newer radios have a jumper in the radio, on the PS connector. However, the 745 actually has a switch that turns on the PS.
Why? I can only guess Icom didn't want the newer radios switching on the PS.......

It doesn't matter. The PS works perfect and allows the 756PRO to output the full 100W without any effort.
I did put a very small muffin fan on the bottom of the heatsink. Now, it runs cold and I haven't heard the internal fan turn on since I added the fan. No, you cannot hear the fan running.

These PS are plentiful and affordable.
Have fun, the sunspots are comming!!!!

ron