Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS480 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS480
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $+$900.00
Description: All band, all mode transceiver including 6mtrs
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS480.

K7FD Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Best kept secret  Time owned: more than 12 months
All you need to do is read the last guy's post to see what it's all about. I've had this rig about 3 years now and I'm still amazed. It's worth twice the price, easy...

I use mine with the remote rig gear to operate my home station while traveling in my RV. Remote operation is a snap with the TS-480SAT.

Everything written about the receiver is true...it's a real performance radio. If you can, download and read the expanded engineering report on this rig from Kenwood. You'll find out why it's as good as it is...

73 John K7FD

KC6O Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2013 02:52 Send this review to a friend
SURPRISINGLY Good!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had no interest in purchasing a TS-480 but one came my way in trade for an Icom 746,
...and that began my 'schooling'.

I had thought these were merely an attractive POS until I got one.

Menus are EASY! NOTHING like my 706IIG, even easier than my old FT-100D - if that's even possible.

Really nice receiver and the first DSP I've had/used that actually pulled someone out of the noise!

Includes an excellent RX digital filter, selectable out to 5KHz and down to "0 Hz" (I think they meant 1hz hi hi).
This filter can also to be set to very narrow.

Uhm, where are all the other reviews?!?!?
- Oh, I know, they're too enamored with the performance of their 480 to waste time on the computer...

Also, QUITE THE AM RIG, too! I've received phenomenal audio reports from other AM ops, and they all like the Processor - seems to liven up the Sennheiser 421. One old timer even thought I was on a Johnson Ranger!

Not in any way disappointing, except I did have to add the necessary 3fd capacitor mod required to get the full 200w pep, which is a very simple mod & readily available on the web.

- Had 3 FT-100Ds, liked them but sold them.
- Had an IC-706IIG, sold preferred the FT-100D.
- Had FT-857D and liked it but sold it due to acquiring the more powerful TS-480HX, and my 50+ year old eyes prefer the gorgeous larger display.

To sum it up, I thought I'd hate it, had no affinity for it, acquired it intending only to resell it, but now love it and am keeping it.

Not a bad thing when a radio you want to hate makes you love it.

10 STARS!

VA3LUK Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2012 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Good Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recommend this radio for everyone who has not much space in the room. I very like this radio.

WA8HDG Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2009 21:26 Send this review to a friend
Gr-r-r-reat!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am a avid Kenwood person and I would recommend
this to anyone needing a rig for base or portable
unit. Good for the "old timer" to the newly licensed.It lives up to the Kenwood name!