Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Log Window Help

Reviews Summary for Log Window
Log Window Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: Log Window is a Windows based software program designed for the specific use of Amateur Radio operators to keep a log of the contacts that were made with other radio operators around the world.

Log Window is designed to be used in Amateur Radio contests, Emergency situations, and for general record keeping of conversations with friends around the world.

More info: http://www.logwindow.com

You can write your own review of the Log Window.

WT4Q Rating: 2/5 Jan 12, 2011 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Slow Delivery  Time owned: more than 12 months
Took almost 2 months after purchasing upgrade but it was finally delivered! Like I said before it's a good program but support is somewhat questionable.

WT4Q Rating: 0/5 Dec 13, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Ripe Off  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good Program - Zero Support. Purchased Version 4.6 in November - Still waiting for the CD to be delivered???

K6JAJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2008 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Trusting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used LW since 2.0 with AEI.
It is trusting. That is if you save a QSO its saved and if you back up the log you have it for ever. It can use some up-grades but then so do I!! They are working on up grades and other stuff.

Tried a lot looking for a replacment but could not find one I liked and could depend on as much.
Tnx Gary

N0TGD Rating: 0/5 Jul 13, 2008 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Too easy to overwrite records, no undo, bad search.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well, the Summary line says it all.

I won this package at a HamFest, and I have honestly tried to like it, but it just doesn't have the 'ease of use' that I want when contesting.

1) It is too easy to overwrite a log record. I have (on numerous times) overwritten a log record with a new call sign, subsequently losing the old QSO. This really sucks, and there is no "undo". I have lost lots of contacts this way.

2) The search function is confusing at best. I just don't get! WriteLog and other packages are much more intuitive.

3) Auto-grid square lookup is either non-existant, or broken, or hiding from me.

Try something else! Don't even let a free copy persuade you to try this package. You are wasting your time.

K6KAP Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2008 09:36 Send this review to a friend
I like it!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using Log Window for years. I have tried many different logging programs, but keep coming back. I have not found the perfect one yet, but I think the writer of Log Window is working on it.
It has award tracking, radio interface and call book look up capabilities. Only one thing I wish it had for DXCC tracking is a check off as to whether a station has been submitted to DXCC for count and accrediting.
SCO software is the third owner of the software since I started using it, and yes there has been some bumps in the road as the ownership changes, but they have always been Johnny on the spot to answer any questions I've had.

KE1IN Rating: 3/5 Jan 4, 2008 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Annoying to Install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I first used LogWindow in the mid-90's with version 3.5, but have been away from the hobby for a decade. So when it came time for a new logging program, I searched for my old favorite. It is now in Version 4.5.

The software's setup.exe file is downloadable from www.scoincsoftware.com. The license key is $69.95. For an extra $10.00 you can get the software sent on CD. However, I don't recommend this. I did, and what I received was the setup.exe file burned to a CD-R with a handwritten label in purple marker. I could have done this for myself, and my hand writing is neater.

I ran setup.exe on Windows XP Pro and was informed that I needed Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework redistributable. This necessitated a trip to Microsoft's website to download and install something that is freely redistributable and easily included in an installer if it's not on the user's computer.

No manual is available for this software, so one is dependent on the help files. However, the first time I clicked on Help, I was informed that the file Inetwh32.dll was missing from my \Windows\System32 folder. After I went to hunt that down and copy it, Help worked without error.

Once I solved all the installation difficulties, the program worked substantially as I remember from using version 3.5 10 years ago. New features include a PSK31 client for that digital mode and incorporating OmniRig for rig control.

I give it only a 3 because it is a big PIA to install correctly, has no manual, and has a really poorly produced installation CD. Otherwise, it is a capable logging program.

N2FMH Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2006 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Improving Almost Daily  Time owned: more than 12 months
The new programmer has fixed many problems, and seems to have a handle on the rest. I've been using LW for 10 years. While the past few years have been bumpy, we're off and running again. The current revision # is 12, since the release of 4.1 in time for Dayton. Now that's saying something!

W4WQ Rating: 2/5 May 11, 2006 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Waste of Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I, too purchased LOGWINDOWS just before they "went out of business" and was unable to obtain support.

I now use another program for my logging and cannot in good conscious recommend that anyone invest in a logging program that has failed in the past to provide reasonable or adequate support.

Sure, they say, purchase a new license and we will make you happy! I say, I already spent my money, and you failed miserably.

If I try your program again, it will be on your nickel, not mine!!

Sam W4WQ
RadioActive for 50 years!!!

KI8GW Rating: 0/5 Mar 31, 2006 15:48 Send this review to a friend
No Support!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to agree with the last post. I too had purchased this software from the previous company, and had lost the registration number (still had the original CD-ROM). In short, even after taking a picture of the disc and screenshot of the regitration screen, I was told that the previous company had destroyed the original registation codes, and I was SOL... The new compnay should have at least offered the latest version at a discount for my troubles, but I got nothing but attitude. Since then, I will never buy Ham Radio software... the companies are not stable!

KB2COP Rating: 0/5 Feb 4, 2006 12:37 Send this review to a friend
I have been abandoned!  Time owned: more than 12 months
STAY AWAY !!!
I purchased this software in June of 2000 and I have since lost the program to a hard drive fatality. I still had my registration code so I downloaded the newest version and entered the code...no good! I emailed Les (the "business" owner) and asked for a solution. I told him what happened and I emailed my registration code to him. I told him that I could even scan and email a copy of the original charge slip that was sent to me when I paid for the program ($69.00).
Les responded that he could not help me as the previous owner destroyed the registration code software. He further advised that my only alternative was to re-purchase the software at full price. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????

This software is rarely, if ever, updated but I did purchase it and used it. How can any business owner believe that this is responsible or even minimal customer support?

Stay away. YOUR code may get destroyed and you will have to find another product.