Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Vantage VUE Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Vantage VUE
Davis Vantage VUE Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$350
Description: Davis' wireless Vantage Vue weather station combines Davis' accuracy and durability into a compact station that's easy to set up and use. Perfect for home, school, or business.
More info: http://www.davisnet.com/

You can write your own review of the Davis Vantage VUE.

KC9LGS Rating: 1/5 Feb 13, 2016 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Hidden cost.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Want to connect to your computer? Well Davis charges a premium. To get a USB "hook up" 6510 USB module they want an additional 120.00 to 130.00 on the web. It's living back in the yesteryear mentality to keep such a basic component out of the box. This is the era of IoT not back in the day of 1970's DEC, IBM and Wang computers. I can't fathom any modern day vendor leaving out the basic computer interface.

K7AAT Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2016 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Fntastic customer service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have not posted a review of my VantageVue weather station in over 5 1/2 years, so here is my follow up. It is still going strong - albeit with a couple repairs along the way. I live on the Oregon coast and the Winter Weather along with constant salt spray are hard on outside electronics. I did have to send my station off to Davis last year - for $112. they did a complete refurbish, which in my case apparently included replacing 'most' of the internal sensor boards. Just a few days ago my station did go off line. A quick call to customer support revealed I probably had my sensor transmitter package 'lock up' due to my ham radio transmissions..... first time ever that this has happened. I am really glad to see K1FSY's previous report on this issue. I have a can of RFI shield spray paint on order.
I cannot say enough positives about Davis customer support. They are superb.... often helping me diagnose various issues and even sending me needed parts.... pro gratis.
Very much appreciated. This is probably the finest consumer rated weather station available - along with the company backing it.

W2GJW Rating: 2/5 Jan 5, 2016 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Disappointing  Time owned: more than 12 months
After having my Davis Vantage Pro for over 10 years before it failed, I decide to replace it with a new Vantage Vue. After just one year I began to have issues with the outdoor temperature and humidity not registering on the console. This is apparently an issue some ISS units exhibit after time. I replaced the ISS and now I'm having issues with the dreaded "LOW TRANSMITTER BATTERY". I replaced the battery with a new one only to have the message re-appear after just 4 months. So it's either the solar panel not functioning, or a failure of the "SUPER CAP". Also, if you're transmitting on HF, the wind speed will jump to anywhere between 50 and 100mph. Another annoyance I never experienced with my VP. I think it's time for a different type of weather station.

W6LBV Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2015 14:38 Send this review to a friend
ADDENDUM  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an addendum to my original review, below.

In the seven months since I installed my Vantage VUE, I’ve had one small failure and it has occurred at least twice.

After noticing on the display console that the anemometer had not registered any wind speed reading greater than “zero knots” for several days, I visually checked the anemometer cups from the ground. Even in a moderate breeze they were not rotating. However, there was no problem with the separate directional wind vane below the cups, which was rotating and indicating on the console normally.

For me access to the roof is not difficult, and I went up to examine the transducer package. Tapping the cups very lightly with a broom handle, I found that they were indeed frozen. Then I pushed on them slightly harder with the handle and they “broke free” and began rotating normally in the breeze. After that, the anemometer was problem-free again for several months.

Apparently something is causing the rotating anemometer shaft to bind. This might be a small insect trying to make a home inside the bearings, or dust and grit falling from the air into the bearings. Or it may just be a zero-time defect in these particular bearings. More time will be needed to discover the cause.

Consider this failure mode possibility when you pick a location to mount a Vantage VUE transducer package.

KK4FLI Rating: 1/5 Aug 11, 2014 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Humidity Senor failed twice in under 1.5 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had a Davis Vantage Vue for 1.5 years. In 7-8 months the Humidity sensor failed. It was fixed under warranty. 7-8 months later it happened again, so I contacted them and 4 hours of phone tag, they said they don't know what is happening and blamed me for it. I can't pay $125 every 7-8 months to get this thing fix.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2014 06:06 Send this review to a friend
Super Cap NOT the Battery  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a few years experience with this unit. As I understand it, the "battery" problem is not a battery problem at all, but the failure of an internal Super-Capacitor and/or corrosion on the PC board near it. This info is prolific on the internet as well as step-by-step How-To fixes. The cap can be ordered from Mouser at under ten bucks.

W3HKK Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2014 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Frequent Maintenance Tips:
1. Low battery voltage alarm indicates time to take the solar cell out, use soap and water to clean the dirt/film from the panel, and from both sides of the plastic window. This will boost the cells output and charge the battery to higher/normal levels. Dead batteries may well be due to dirty "windows" on your solar cell. My battery is now 3 yrs old and going strong. I need to clean the windows about 2x/yr.
2. Rain Gage has bird problems. Mockingbirds here are potty-trained. They love to sit on the rain gage funnel edge, and plug up the small opening at the interior of the funnel. In summer, I go out every week to clean out their "residue."
3. Play with the buttons, arrows and +- signs to discover all the features this unit has. ie rainfall over the past 1 day, 2-3-4-5-6-7-etc days. I leave it on 7 days since 1" /week is recommended rainfall. So when it's been a dry week, time to unroll the hoses and water critical plants/shrubs.
4. Due to the need for frequent access, use a mast that is easy to put up and take down. Mine is 4 ft sections of 1.5" mil surplus fiberglas mast sections sitting on a rebar. Tape the joints with pvc black tape to keep it from rotating away from true North. I can lower the wx station, clean out the rain gage bird poo, and put it back up in about 3 minutes.

WB9KPT Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2014 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Good System and Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my system for just less than a year and it has worked well. I'm located at 7200 feet elevation in Evergreen, CO - so we get some cold and snowy winter weather.

The only issue with the system was the LED did not light up on the ISS when it was supposed to - but the system worked fine anyway. About 2 months ago, I had the dreaded "low battery" message problem (many owners are familiar with this issue). I replaced the battery, waited a day and still got the message. So I called their service line and after explaining the two problems, they agreed to send me a replacement unit under warranty. Of course, the next day my original unit decided that the new battery was fine.. so I didn't really need the replacement unit after all.

When the replacement unit arrive I installed it anyway, since the LED worked properly. Everything has been fine since...

N5CSU Rating: 2/5 Jan 22, 2014 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Battery Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I liked this unit but had consistent problems with the lithium battery in the wireless unit running down every few weeks. Firmware upgrades and hardware changeouts from Davis did not help. I'm not the only one that has reported this (Google Davis Vantage battery problems).
I ended up giving this to a friend to play with, and went back to my Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, which has given me over 10 years of flawless performance.

AE5X Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2013 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be happier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned my VV for 11 months now and love it.

I had 2 initial concerns that turned out to be non-issues:

First, that there would be a trade-off in either temperature or wind accuracy since the entire sensor suite is in one package. Ideally, the wind sensors would be mounted in an open area and the temp sensor would be in a shady location. With the VV, they are necessarily in the same location. Accuracy is not a problem as measured and compared by MESONET - in fact, accuracy of all the sensors is absolutely stellar.

Second - did I mention that my VV is mounted high and in the clear - only 3 feet from the driven element of my HF Yagi way up on the tower. Three feet from a kilowatt and absolutely no issues whatsoever. That was a big concern initially - that there was no way this thing could function so close to so much RF. Wrong!

Battery life...after 11 months, I'm still on the original battery though I plan to replace it next month at the one-year point.

As the title says, I couldn't be happier with it. Money well spent.