Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Vantage VUE Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Vantage VUE
Davis Vantage VUE Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $$350
Description: Davis' wireless Vantage Vue weather station combines Davis' accuracy and durability into a compact station that's easy to set up and use. Perfect for home, school, or business.
More info: http://www.davisnet.com/

You can write your own review of the Davis Vantage VUE.

WD5ENH Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2013 04:54 Send this review to a friend
Very accurate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just upgraded to the Davis Vantage VUE. The system I replace was the Davis weather monitor II in which I had for nearly 20 years and of course it was not wireless. The downfall of the Davis weather monitor II for me was that RF was getting into the system every time I talk on the radio and it did not matter what band I was on. With the weather monitor II I have there grounded junction box and that did not help at all. So when I upgraded to the Vantage VUE I was hoping that I would not have that problem, when the Vantage VUE came in I read the manual and did what suggested to do, is to test the system before you put it up. And I testing everything in the system came up as per the manual. So I place the unit in its permanent site and let it run for 24 hours before I put the software weatherlink ip in. The next day I put the software in (weatherlink ip) and it was easy to put in also. With the system up and running I am now on the Davis Weatherlink web site and that was pretty straightforward to. In the town that I live in there are two other sites that is also running the Davis Weather systems and when I look at them I am very close to what they are displayed as far as temperature, wind speed, wind direction, and barometric pressure. As far as operating the radio no problems with RF getting inside the weather system. It doesn't matter if I am on HF or VHF. As far as the radio equipment I do not have amplifiers. I have been quite pleased with the accuracy and reliability of this unit and I really like the display of the base unit. I'm hoping to get many years of good service of this unit. My recommendation if you decide to get a unit like this is read the manual and do exactly what they suggest and take your time and setting it up, and I think you will be very pleased.

WA9AFM Rating: 0/5 Apr 19, 2013 11:52 Send this review to a friend
APRS WX Interface Failed  Time owned: more than 12 months
The APRS weather interface has apparently failed. Can't get squat out of 'customer service'. Tried new cable, moved USB ports, nada!
Avoid!

WB7VNF Rating: 1/5 Mar 8, 2013 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Not very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Davis Vantage Vue Station when we moved into our new home in 2011. I had a very old wired Davis WeatherMonitor II that had been for the most part a good station so decided to upgrade to the wireless model.

Initially, the station appeared to work fine, however, over the course of 17-months, the Integrated Sensor Suite just powered itself down 3 times. Each time it was brought down off of the Rohn 45G tower, put on the workbench, pulled apart and each time it magically started to work again. Davis had NO idea why nor were they interested in doing anything to find out.

Once they (Davis) found out that I was a amateur radio operator that was all that they could say - Brett Lane, Customer Service Manager, even said that just having "antennas" was a problem, albeit that the problems I experienced occurred at times that for the most part the station wasn't even powered up!

After the third "power down", I went ahead and PURCHASED a second complete ISS for $240 - lo and behold when I went to install it on February 3, 2013, it wouldn't transmit! We fooled with it for about 2 hours before disassembling it and just like magic, it started to transmit. Davis blamed this on "RF" but could not explain how it was happening when NOTHING in the amateur radio station was powered up.

The problem doesn't end there, the new unit was NOT measuring rain correctly at all - at least the original ISS had been within a few percent of my manual comparison gauge but this one in the second ISS was so far off that it could NEVER have been calibrated. We had 0.23 inch in the manual gauge and the Davis unit read 0.01. This happened two times.

It took a MASSIVE manual calibration change and a "soft" calibration change of 16% to even get the unit close and we are now in the test phase to see if the manual and software calibration changes will yield more accurate readings.

I have encountered yet another problem that if you change the rain gauge calibration either from the Vantage Vue console OR the WeatherLink software, the console quits receiving the ISS and I have to climb up the tower and reset the ISS. Davis Tech Support claims this doesn't happen either.

Through all of this Davis Customer Support has been "good for Davis" but not necessarily the customer (me).

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2012 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Maintenance Tips  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update to my 2011 posting:
1. Every 6-12 months: The rainfall gage and collector hole are prone to small insects like spider-mites and ladybugs plugging it up. So at times you see rain but the rainfall measurement is 0. Therefore, putting the remote unit in a place where you can easily take it down and put it back up is definitely a plus. Mine is in the open with no trees within 100 ft and it still needs regular cleaning.

2. Every 12-24 months: Low battery power: I first got that about 18 months after installation. Turns out the plastic window ( BOTH sides) and the solar cell surfaces get a funky film build up that has to be removed with dish soap and water. Again, you need to pull it apart, clean it, and put it back up. Now the suns' UV isnt lost in the multiple layers of film, and gets into the solar cell to better charge the battery.

These are two basic maintenance items necessary here in the countryside. Id expect more trees and a more urban area would require even more frequent maintenance.

KB2SMS Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2012 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Great little station!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my Vue in the spring of 2012. So far it's working perfectly. I placed mine 9 feet up on one inch conduit cemented in the ground. Readings from the ISS match other local weather stations nearby. I'm VERY happy with this station! Just ordered the Weatherlink logger from Ambientweather.com Will use Cumulus as the software.

AC9EX Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2012 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Great weather station  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had it installed in the Antenna farm 6 months ago now. No problems! Works as advertised. I did although put a Vantage PRO II Readout on it when I purchased it.I thought for the money it was a better display than the standard Vue unit had. I have had no RF problems to date.
KB9VUP

K3SUI Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 13:14 Send this review to a friend
So far, GREAT !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this little unit for about 2+ months. So far no issues. I've not run a lot of power near it since I've had antenna issues. Bought it off e-bay for $275. Good prices there if you shop around. Gives a lot of good WX info. I primarly bought it for my flying to get wind data. My wife likes the out door thermometer and humidity. Great little product.

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2012 17:08 Send this review to a friend
flawless  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had mine up long enough to run down a battery. Went up the tower last weekend, and replaced it...without removing the ISS!! I think it went close to two years on the original cell. The unit is located on my tower, just a few feet away from a KW on 2, a KW on 6, and KW on 10,15,20. I have not had any problems yet. I admit I can't figure out how to put weather data up on a website, but perhaps if I gave it a weekend to study, I could figure it out. Just have not had the time. At first I thought it was way too expensive for a bunch of plastic, but I guess you get what you pay for. Having been flawless in hottest summer, and ice cold winters...and still working like new...that's worth it in my book!

N8ZUZ Rating: 0/5 Mar 20, 2012 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Update: ISS still giving me fits and Davis could care less.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After getting some feedback from other Vue owners and hearing from Curtis at Davis, I went to Radio Shack and bought 2 ferrite beads pn 273-105 (which Curtis supplied me the part number). I installed them both onto both ribbon cables nearest the transmitter in the ISS. I have also wrapped aluminum foil around the ribbon cables, and also covered the transmitter and rain gauge circuits by taping foil over the plastic covering these units. Curtis tried helping me.

The other day, again 5w on 2m wipes out the ISS. I just called Davis and asked for Curtis but I was told by Jerry that he is no longer in that department. After explaining to Jerry my situation, he said I have two options. 1. is to move the unit further away from the antennas (which I don't have the room for) or 2. upgrade to a Vantage Pro II (which I'm not going to spend any more money on a company that isn't helping me now with my problem).

Hams, beware! For some this unit works great. For others it needed some work to make it work great. For others like me this thing may be a headache and Davis is not very willing to help you but they'll gladly sell you another unit that may or may not work for you.

In my previous review I gave Davis a 2 because of their customer support which is legendary from everything I have read on the net. Now, I give them a zero. All I have done is spend money to buy this and also to fix it (along with numerous trips on the roof) and still 5w on 2m wipes it out. Jerry really could care less about my problems and that shined through from start to finish.

This unit for me is utterly useless and I wish I would have not purchased it. I really regret having bought it but I can't return it so I'm stuck with it. I didn't have these problems with my $89 Lacrosse unit. I've been supplying weather data to wunderground for years. Unfortunately that's going to stop or my ham activities must stop.

If you think I'm just a sour person, read my other reviews on eham. Most items I've owned have been decent and some exceptional. This one is junk in an RF environment and Davis could care less. It's amazing to me they market their junk to hams and many ham stores sell their junk when they can't handle much of an RF environment. It would be one thing to miss a few data packets but it's another to completely lock up the ISS so you have to remove it from the roof overnight to reset it for a day or two!

CAVEAT EMPTOR!

W0ACE Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2011 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fast, easy install. Set-up was fast and smooth following the manual. Works great. Temp matches my home thermostat in my house, and matches the local reported temps. No RFI problems so far, running on 20m, 6m, 2m, 440 very close to it. All in all I'd buy again in a heartbeat! Best weather station I have had so far.