Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | Davis Vantage VUE Help

Reviews Summary for Davis Vantage VUE
Davis Vantage VUE Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$350
Description: Davis' wireless Vantage Vue weather station combines Davis' accuracy and durability into a compact station that's easy to set up and use. Perfect for home, school, or business.

You can write your own review of the Davis Vantage VUE.

N5GE Rating: 0/5 Sep 30, 2013 06:56 Send this review to a friend
RF Sensitive, Battery lasts only a week  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased a Vantage View in June of 2013.

1. The first thing I found wrong with it was it's sensitivity to RF. When transmitting SSB or CW on frequencies below 5 MHz the wind speed would be reported as something between 50 and 130 MPH.

I tried all sorts of remedies to alleviate the RF problem including Ferrite beads and tin-foil, but nothing worked.

2. The 3V battery that came with it lasted 3 weeks, so I purchased another, thinking the supplied battery may have suffered from storage weakness, but the new battery lasted about the same length of time.

I tried using rechargeable batteries, but they would only last one day. An email to Davis revealed that unlike my previous WX station the solar panel on the unit will not charge batteries.

3. The software (WeatherLink) performs poorly when used on a Windows 7 system, but improved some when I set it to run in XP mode.

4. I have spent too much time trying to improve it's performance and the warranty has run out, so I can't return it.

If you are a ham and have antennae on your property, don't get one of these units.
KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2013 20:38 Send this review to a friend
100% satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Wife picked this unit as a replacement for a Lacrosse station that had it's humidity senor fail.
WX4AR Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2013 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Work Horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Davis Vantage Vue for just shy of three years. I am very happy to say I have had zero problems with it and itís still going strong. This month I finally had to replace the three-volt battery in the ISS. I canít complain about changing a battery every thirty-four months. I highly recommend this weather station if youíre in the market. Oh bye the way, the ISS stood up to Super Storm Sandy working flawlessly through the storm with winds of eighty MPH plus.
WE8Q Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2013 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Working great for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my unit installed for about two years now with no problems. My outside unit is about 100 feet from my ham antennas and I operate HF and VHF. I have two inside units and one of them is in the basement. I have never had a reception problem.
WD5ENH Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2013 04:54 Send this review to a friend
Very accurate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just upgraded to the Davis Vantage VUE. The system I replace was the Davis weather monitor II in which I had for nearly 20 years and of course it was not wireless. The downfall of the Davis weather monitor II for me was that RF was getting into the system every time I talk on the radio and it did not matter what band I was on. With the weather monitor II I have there grounded junction box and that did not help at all. So when I upgraded to the Vantage VUE I was hoping that I would not have that problem, when the Vantage VUE came in I read the manual and did what suggested to do, is to test the system before you put it up. And I testing everything in the system came up as per the manual. So I place the unit in its permanent site and let it run for 24 hours before I put the software weatherlink ip in. The next day I put the software in (weatherlink ip) and it was easy to put in also. With the system up and running I am now on the Davis Weatherlink web site and that was pretty straightforward to. In the town that I live in there are two other sites that is also running the Davis Weather systems and when I look at them I am very close to what they are displayed as far as temperature, wind speed, wind direction, and barometric pressure. As far as operating the radio no problems with RF getting inside the weather system. It doesn't matter if I am on HF or VHF. As far as the radio equipment I do not have amplifiers. I have been quite pleased with the accuracy and reliability of this unit and I really like the display of the base unit. I'm hoping to get many years of good service of this unit. My recommendation if you decide to get a unit like this is read the manual and do exactly what they suggest and take your time and setting it up, and I think you will be very pleased.
WA9AFM Rating: 0/5 Apr 19, 2013 11:52 Send this review to a friend
APRS WX Interface Failed  Time owned: more than 12 months
The APRS weather interface has apparently failed. Can't get squat out of 'customer service'. Tried new cable, moved USB ports, nada!
WB7VNF Rating: 1/5 Mar 8, 2013 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Not very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Davis Vantage Vue Station when we moved into our new home in 2011. I had a very old wired Davis WeatherMonitor II that had been for the most part a good station so decided to upgrade to the wireless model.

Initially, the station appeared to work fine, however, over the course of 17-months, the Integrated Sensor Suite just powered itself down 3 times. Each time it was brought down off of the Rohn 45G tower, put on the workbench, pulled apart and each time it magically started to work again. Davis had NO idea why nor were they interested in doing anything to find out.

Once they (Davis) found out that I was a amateur radio operator that was all that they could say - Brett Lane, Customer Service Manager, even said that just having "antennas" was a problem, albeit that the problems I experienced occurred at times that for the most part the station wasn't even powered up!

After the third "power down", I went ahead and PURCHASED a second complete ISS for $240 - lo and behold when I went to install it on February 3, 2013, it wouldn't transmit! We fooled with it for about 2 hours before disassembling it and just like magic, it started to transmit. Davis blamed this on "RF" but could not explain how it was happening when NOTHING in the amateur radio station was powered up.

The problem doesn't end there, the new unit was NOT measuring rain correctly at all - at least the original ISS had been within a few percent of my manual comparison gauge but this one in the second ISS was so far off that it could NEVER have been calibrated. We had 0.23 inch in the manual gauge and the Davis unit read 0.01. This happened two times.

It took a MASSIVE manual calibration change and a "soft" calibration change of 16% to even get the unit close and we are now in the test phase to see if the manual and software calibration changes will yield more accurate readings.

I have encountered yet another problem that if you change the rain gauge calibration either from the Vantage Vue console OR the WeatherLink software, the console quits receiving the ISS and I have to climb up the tower and reset the ISS. Davis Tech Support claims this doesn't happen either.

Through all of this Davis Customer Support has been "good for Davis" but not necessarily the customer (me).
KB2SMS Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2012 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Great little station!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my Vue in the spring of 2012. So far it's working perfectly. I placed mine 9 feet up on one inch conduit cemented in the ground. Readings from the ISS match other local weather stations nearby. I'm VERY happy with this station! Just ordered the Weatherlink logger from Will use Cumulus as the software.
AC9EX Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2012 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Great weather station  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had it installed in the Antenna farm 6 months ago now. No problems! Works as advertised. I did although put a Vantage PRO II Readout on it when I purchased it.I thought for the money it was a better display than the standard Vue unit had. I have had no RF problems to date.
K3SUI Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 13:14 Send this review to a friend
So far, GREAT !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this little unit for about 2+ months. So far no issues. I've not run a lot of power near it since I've had antenna issues. Bought it off e-bay for $275. Good prices there if you shop around. Gives a lot of good WX info. I primarly bought it for my flying to get wind data. My wife likes the out door thermometer and humidity. Great little product.