Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Hammarlund HX-500 Transmitter Help

Reviews Summary for Hammarlund HX-500 Transmitter
Hammarlund HX-500 Transmitter Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: The HX-500 Exciter-transmitter is completely self contained; employing 21 tubes. It covers 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meter amateur bands. The unit is capable of LSB, USB, DSB(AM), CW, FM and FSK. The power output on SSB is 70-100 watts; 70-100 watts on CW, FSK, FM and 17-25 watts on DSB(AM). The final amplifier employs a pair of 6146 pentode tubes.
More info: http://www.oldradios.co.nz/my/receivers/hammarlund/about.htm

You can write your own review of the Hammarlund HX-500 Transmitter.

K7PP Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2011 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad effort  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess they only made 600 of these units back in 1960. I own two.
The first has been restored to pristine condition and looks like a million bucks. I'm currently in the middle of a complete alignment.
The other looks horrible but is restorable. It will take some time, though.
I've been able to get 120 watts out on the bench and find the audio is outstanding. It is, after all, a phasing transmitter.
I'm still battling some carrier null and VFO stability issues.
I like the fact that the unit has a built in antenna relay and is easy to tune. It has one meter that indicates RF output only.
Unlike my Johnson Invader, it will do real AM and not this upper sideband with carrier inserted compromise.
I've seen these units go for insane prices most likely collector driven but they are a nice transmitter and very worthy of restoration should you come across one.