Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Brown Brothers CTL (CTL, A or B) Help

Reviews Summary for Brown Brothers CTL (CTL, A or B)
Brown Brothers CTL (CTL, A or B) Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $18.95 in 1964 DISC Now
Description: Brown Brothers Compound key (CTL,A,B)
More info: http://208.55.162.222/kk4dw4.html#BROWN

You can write your own review of the Brown Brothers CTL (CTL, A or B).

K2LS Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2008 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Can't be beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
Tried all the rest over the years but still use the CTL A. I have been using for around 40 years now.

Smooth, never needs adjustment and stays put on the table!

If you have one to sell, please let me know.

W9WJU Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2007 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Great paddle  Time owned: more than 12 months
I orginally had a FYO paddle and it was ok but my good buddy Dave,WA9ITB, had the BTLA. I bought it at Calumet Electronics in Gary, IN. I still have it, in fact I have two of them. Sorry fellas they aren't for sale. The base is a little chipped but still works great.

KI6CM Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2006 06:46 Send this review to a friend
The Centerpiece of My Working Key Collection  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a key collection because I enjoy using them. I don't buy keys because they are pretty or just to have them in my collection. I have had the CTL since I was a Novice in the mid-70s. It is precious to me and I have it on a hair trigger adjustment. No other key that I have tried lets me have such a fine adjustment. Its the only key I will not allow others to touch.

AA0TT Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2006 20:49 Send this review to a friend
Don't make em like they used to  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was fortunate to have the chance to purchase a Brown Bros. CTL B from another ham from out of his collection. I have tried many other keys, and none compare to the Brown Bros.

It is to bad that the "modern day" folks don't listen to what has already been done. The heavy base keeps it from walking away, a problem that I had with many other keys. The mechanics are such that have stood the test of time.

If you are lucky enough to find one of these keys, get it. I spent about 8 months looking before I found mine, but it was time well spent for a quality key.

W4YA Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2006 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Great key  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's mechanically simple and stable. It feels good. It never needs adjustment. I also have a Bencher, which is a poorly designed paddle compared to the Brown Bros.

AD5VJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2006 15:17 Send this review to a friend
It touches me back when I touch it !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Been a Ham since 1965.

Schurr, Begali, Kent, Vibroplex, Bencher, TenTec, ect I cant imagine it getting better than this Brown Brothers key.

The only thing that comes close that I have ever used is a K8RA.

I cant exactly explain this in words, but I have used keys before, but never one that:

(best way to say it)
touches me back when I touch it.

I know that sounds strange, but this key is fantastic. It makes you want to do quality code and allot of it.

That is a totally new experience for me. I cant wait to find time to use it.

If you have a chance to get one don't pass it up even if you dont like code - YOU WILL :0)

73 fer nw,
Bob AD5VJ

10X# 37210, FP#-1141, SMIRK#-5177
Code may be taking a back seat for now,
but the pioneering spirit that put the code
there in the first place is out front of it all.

K0CBA Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2005 21:22 Send this review to a friend
The BEST di-dah-di-dah-di-dah  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being a St. Louisian and a CW guy I have a small collection of like new Brown Bros. paddles and combos. On the paddles and the later pumps, that flat spring steel hinge is absolute engineering genius; ultimately simple, no side to side slop (up/down with the paddles) and no springs, levers, magnets or any other cludgey, hay-bail system ever dreamed up to mess with. Usually a one time adjustment to your feel is all that it will need for a life time. I believe truly that as long as one working Brown Brothers unit exists on Earth, NO ONE else can claim to have the "best" system....the best has been done. It is a crying shame that CW is a dying art to the point it would not be practical for some concern to resurrect these masterpieces as I would think the patent(s) are long expired. If you're a "sparks" guy you owe it to yourself to search high and low to lay your hands on one.

W7QU Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2005 16:39 Send this review to a friend
the ONLY Iambic key!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Brown Brothers Iambic key in the late 60s or early 70s. It performs flawlessly and feels as good today as it did when it was new. The only problem that I've experienced is that one of the metal springs broke and was replaced with a brass (original was chrome) piece from a door weather strip.

This is my only key and I use it almost daily.

If you ever see one of these for sale, BUY it. It's the best functioning and performing key I've ever used.

Ron, W7QU

AH6GI Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2004 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice Key.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got it new in the 1960's. I liked the look then and still like it today.

I noticed that the key in the picture has the right paddle mounted on the inside of the lever. I moved the left paddle to the inside for closer spacing on mine.

My key fits in the Vibroplex carrying case. Almost as if it were made for it. Maybe it was.

de ah6gi/4 www.kiyoinc.com/heathstuff.html

KW4N Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2004 19:18 Send this review to a friend
CTL-B  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned the Brown Bros. unit for over 30 years and never had a single malfunction. It looks as good today as it did then. Have yet to see a "used" one for sale. So if you spot one, buy it, as the seller probably has had leave of his senses.