Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-50A Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-50A
Astron RS-50A Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $220.00
Description: 50 Amp Linear Power Supply

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-50A.

AF6XW Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2012 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Power Supply  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this power supply used and it worked great for about 1 year then I was having trouble with it giving my radio a buzz in my receive so I took it to Astron in Irvine, great service and it didnít take but a few minutes and the Tech was working on my Power Supply. He diagnosed it very quickly and had it fixed in 30 minutes and while I watched. The Tech also load tested it at 50 Amps and even 60 Amps, no prblem at all. The great service I got compelled me to write this review. I even learned something while I watched and the charge was very low. They wouldnít take a credit card as they don't do much sales from the lobby, I didn't have any cash on me so they gave me a self addressed envelope and said I could pay on the honor system. I was like glad they did that cause a trip to an ATM was going to gobble up time and Gas. So I sent in the money with that envelope, I was almost going to post the power supply online as a tech special and sell it for whatever I could get but now Iím glad Astron is local and that I went to the trouble to visit them. Well Worth It. I also know what to look for when it buzzes again. Very simple diag and fix. The Power Supply works Great and i'm using it currently "no buzz" no worries. I like the fact that there is no FAN'S in it, its completely silent and no fans to start grinding away like most power supplys. Would I buy another Astron, absolutely.

GW0WVL Rating: 3/5 Nov 10, 2011 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Works Ok but buzzes like a ARC welder  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ive had my Astron RS-50-A for a few months now and its always 'Buzzed' even when NO load, ive reomoved the transformer from the chassis and it still buzzes but not as bad as when its in the box, I guess its the laminations and the magnetic field 'shaking' the box, Im in the middle of re-building it as i type this article, Im using a Toroidal transformer instead of the cube type, Also the internal wiring looks like its been wired by a Monkey, Its got one saving grace, the enclosure is nice looking. All in all its a very poor quality P.S.U

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2010 15:01 Send this review to a friend
A BRUTE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm surprised no one has done a review for this P/S.
Anyway, I have had MORE than my share of problems with my RS-35A. NOT a fault of the P/S, but user induced!!!
While I was trying (!!) to fix the RS-35A (see the Elmers section for the whole sorry tale), I found a RS-50A on ePay for pretty cheap.
It was advertised as working, etc. The seller even sent me an e-mail stating he was load testing it one more time before he shipped it.
It arrived safely and was in excellent condition, with 2 small exceptions....
1. it was missing all 4 feet (WTF?)
You know with all the screws coming from the bottom, what that will do to anything!
2. the AC receptacle was broken and horribly repaired.

No problem. I have a LOT of spare parts. I put in a 3 prong computer connector, and a REAL fuse.
In the process, I shorted the + of the filter cap to ground. Yes, the P/S was off and disconnected.

Having been through all the issues with the 35A, this helped me find the problem immediately. The "Crowbar" SCR was shorted.
OK, try to find one!!!! It seems that the Triac is an old Teccor P/N (now owned by Littlefuse). I spent several hours looking through the WWW, Mouser, Digi-Key, etc. I ended up just ordering a couple from Astron......
This is no fault of the P/S. I just do NOT like parts like this that are 'uncommon'.

I have made new legs from Delrin and this bruiser will be ready to go......

ron