Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Radio Works Carolina Windom 40 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Works Carolina Windom 40
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$130.00
Description: Specifications:
Frequency Coverage: 40 - 10 m + 30, 17, 12 WARC
Gain: As much as 10 dBd* reported at most installations
Radiator Length: Horizontal 66' Vertical 10'
Feed line: 50 ohm coaxial cable, RG-8X recommended
Matching method: Dedicated matching transformer + user's tuner.
Tuner needed: Yes
Power Rating: Legal limit **
Recommended Height >30' usable at 25'
Radials: Not required
More info: http://www.radioworks.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Works Carolina Windom 40.

N8YQX Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2013 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Works well, but need to add extra choke  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put up the antenna in a sloper configuration about 40ft high. The antenna seems to outperform my end fed of similar size by about 3 S-units based on my A-B-A tests.

I did experience intermittent RFI on 40m to my network switch and baby monitor. Adding about 10 ferrite chokes to the coax fixed the problem. (Hence 4/5 score).

N2ZDB Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Multi-Band Dipole  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works as advertised. Mine now is around 9 years old and still going strong.

Excellent SWR's on 40 Meters. Very low on 20M and the higher end of 10 Meters.

Use it with an antenna tuner and you can't go wrong!

W5LXG Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2010 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Superior multi-bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has been stuffed in the attic for 17 years, serving as a "spare" or emergency antenna. It performed surprisingly well.
Fast forward to 12/2010. I erected a Radiowavz G5RV Jr. outside with horrible results. See separate review if interested.
The Carolina has 1:1 SWR on 40 CW and 1.3:1 on 20. SWR between 2:1 and 3:1 on higher bands, easily tamed by rig's internal tuner. The Carolina "hears" much better than the G5RV and QSO performance is outstanding. While I am here, I once took a Carolina "beam" down to VP2V with just wonderful results. There is alot of silly hype on the OEM website, but some of it is backed up by the antennas performance. I ask alot of multi-band antennas and this Carolina gives results. Buy one.

K3YUB Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2010 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Carolina Windom 40 has been at my qth since May, 2009. I like this fine OCF antenna because it performs as advertised. It does require an antenna tuner. I've used it with a Palstar AT2K, an LDG Z11PRO automatic tuner and a LDG AT-200PRO. It loads equally as well with all three tuners giving a nice match. I've used it on 40M through 6M with no trouble. It has even given a good match on 75M (100 watts). From my qth near Pittsburgh, I've worked Hawaii and Alaska and almost all other states on 40. It is mounted horizontally at 35 feet and is fed with RG8X. The construction is solid, but by all means follow the instructions exactly as written. I gave a 5 because it performs as advertised. I'm very happy with it.