Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | GRE PSR-400 Help

Reviews Summary for GRE PSR-400
GRE PSR-400 Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $199.00
Description: Triple-trunking desktop, mobile scanner.
More info: http://www.greamerica.com

You can write your own review of the GRE PSR-400.

AL7HG Rating: 4/5 Jan 14, 2010 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Nice scanner, reasonable price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This base/mobile scanner is very sensitive and works great on my local public service Motorola 800mHz trunked system. For years I have been a Uniden Bearcat fan. I also have a BC780XLT and a BC796XLT.

It is easy to find the specs elsewhere so I will only mention new features I liked.

The PSR-400 leaves the Bearcats in the dust! The older units receiving trunked signals, but, the newer features in the PSR-400 are amazing. All you do in the PSR is enter a few of the main frequencies and the scanner does the rest. With the Bearcats, each day when the local sheriff's department changed its priority channel I had to lock out that channel and remove the lock from the day before. This scanner does that automatically, and then keeps track of talk groups using that channel.

The PSR-400 does not have APCO-25 Digital, but where I live it is doubtful if the local public service departments will ever go to this. There is a model PSR-600 with APCO, but it costs $499, so not essential for me.

This scanner automatically logs trunked and talk group ids. When the scanner stops on one of these groups you have to push one key to enter it into memory, but then you can key in a alphameric description. You can easily lock out unwanted talk groups, like local schools, county bus drivers, etc.

I also recently bought a MFJ-8322 hand held trunk-tracking scanner, to replace my Bearcat trunk-tracker II, and was able to attach a double ended audio cable between the two scanners and effortlessly transfer the information between banks. Another neat feature of this scanner is that each of its 10 banks has 100 channels--you can lock out bank one, and unlock bank two, for scanning multiple systems. I travel a lot and have already used this feature to enable frequencies in areas to which I travel and lock out unused ones.