Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Icom R-7100 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom R-7100
Icom R-7100 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,800
Description: Icom R-7100 25Mhz - 2 Ghz total continuous coverage all mode.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/support/archive/

You can write your own review of the Icom R-7100.

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2002 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Handy little Receiver!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this unit since 1995 and have been very happy with the performance. Back then the cell band was included and that is why I have kept the R7100. SSB reception is very clear and I use it for spotting in conjunction with my IC-765.
Scanning ham bands and Cell phones give good background "music" in the shack.

Michael Mark, P.Eng. VE4MM

WB9YCJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2000 17:57 Send this review to a friend
25 - 2000 MHz. Great to have around!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive owned it for 6 years now and bought it new (from Grove) when the cell coverage ban was in initial legislation. I must say, I bought it out of fear that I would (then) soon have a hard time buying a FULL COVERAGE V/Uhf high quality all mode receiver. I was wrong in that assumption since there are many full coverage receivers available today despite the "SYMBOLIC" "feel good" intentions of the ban. As far as sensitivity goes, it easily beats my Yaesu FRG-9600, and Standard CCR-708A (spectrum display receiver). My Pro-2006 comes close, but no-cigar. This receiver also does special scanning and several types of programmable sophisticated searches. The owners manual is a must read to fully experience this neat receiver. On the concerned side, it does get very warm (not hot)after an hour or so. I think Universal or the defunct EEB did mods on the power supply to reduce heat. One trick to ventilate heat is to remove internal speaker on inside top cabinet.
By the way, the only other receivers I'd like to have in my shack now would be an AOR 5000, Icom
R-9000 (L), or JRC 545 (international version).
I also understand the cell blocked Icom R-8500 is an excellent radio with full coverage restorability (despite its "Fisher Price" appearance). 73, Ken
P.S. Other 7100 owners please post opinions as well since this is the first.