Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | GME RX1300 Help

Reviews Summary for GME RX1300
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $295
Description: Wide band hand held receiver
More info: http://www.gme.net.au/products/radio-communications/scanners/RX1300

You can write your own review of the GME RX1300.

PAULGBLUNDELL Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2010 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice Little Scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GME RX1300 Review

Day 1:
Tonight I have had my first chance to setup and use my new GME RX1300 scanner receiver which I ordered last week.
First letís look at what you get with it as standard when you purchase it.
- RX1300 unit
- Antenna
- 1900mAh Lithium Ion Rechargeable Battery
- Ear phones
- Charger cradle and power supply
- Lanyard Strap.

All of these are fairly standard type devices, the battery takes around 12 hours to charge from empty to full and it is uncommon to find a desktop type charger rather than a more normal wall charger of a radio in this price bracket. Having said that it is possible to charge the RX1300 using just the wall charger if the charging cradle is not available to you. The aerial is an SMA type which is solid on the bottom half and semi flexible on the top half. The only thing missing from the RX1300 is a belt clip which I feel is a slight let down but as it is so small it will mostly be carried in a pocket.

The RX1300 unit is very well built and feels very solid in the hand, it has a much better feel then the low end Uniden scanners or almost any other scanner I have ever used / owned. It is around 75% the height of the UBC93XLT, 90% of the width and about 90% the depth. The weight is much the same with the RX1300 being slightly heavier. Both the LCD and keypad light ups after each key press in a nice yellow glow.

So far I have not had much time to do a huge amount of testing with it; I have worked out the menu system which is slightly confusing until you understand the logical of it then it makes a lot of sense and is easy to use. I have programmed in around 90 VHF / UHF channels and the 40 UHF CB channels, this took around ĺ of an hour which I think is fairly good given I had not used a radio of this type before with the method of storing frequencies. After programming these frequencies (the VHF / UHF frequencies in to bank 00 and UHF CB in to bank 01) I found what I see as the single biggest issue with radio, you cannot scan more than a single 100 channel bank at a time, this means you canít program different users in to each bank and then scan a mix of them. What you can do is press the two digit code for each bank that activates that bank to scan but that turns off the other bank for scanning. As an example if I press 00 it will scan my 90 VHF / UHF channels in bank 00 but if I press 01 it will then scan the 40 UHF CB channels I programmed in bank 01 instead. Other than that I am happy with the scanning side of things, the speed is around 20 channels per second which is fine for me. The ability of the RX1300 to pick up signals seems really good from my limited testing I could hear casino security on 467.475MHz with just the standard aerial which is a good effort for where I live, none of my others radio even hear this at all except on an external aerial. I can also report that not a single frequency in either of these two banks has any issues with birdies or other signals locking them up.

I searched the following banks with a list of how many frequencies had problems:
70-80 MHz: 3
118-137MHz: 12
144-148MHz: 0
156-174MHz: 5
462-512MHz: 7

I think this is fairly good, much better then what my other scanner do and right up with the best I have seen in the past for searching.

Overall I am fairly happy with it so far, the lack of a belt clip is a pain and the single bank scanning seems a bit strange but for general scanning it seems to be spot on.

I still have a few features to test such as memory auto write and tone coding, once I have tested these features and done some more general testing in different locations I will add to this review.

If anybody has any questions or wants me to test any feature please let me know.