Reviews Categories | Microphones | MFJ-285 speaker/mic for Yeasu VX-6R Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-285 speaker/mic for Yeasu VX-6R
MFJ-285 speaker/mic for Yeasu VX-6R Reviews: 1 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $$19.95
Description: Small inexpensive speaker mic with the dedecated screw in connector found on the VX submersable series of HT's from Yeasu.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-285R

You can write your own review of the MFJ-285 speaker/mic for Yeasu VX-6R.

KC9QQM Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2010 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Too Cheap  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While I didn't want to spend $25+ on a speaker mic for my new VX-6R, I had hoped this basic $16 mic would fit the bill. I don't know if Yeasu is to blame for having a screw in connector or MFJ for what must be a poorly designed strain relief, but I have gone through 2 of these in the 3 months since I got my rig. For those who have this radio you know you have to turn it upside down to screw in the speaker/mic and at least with me your not always sure you did it tight enough or too tight but as I said twice now I have lost the sound as the wiring seem to break in or near the strain relief and I don't use it but in my truck and it just sits there! Thanks to R&L Electronics for replacing the first one at no charge. Not going to bother them again though.

Stay away from this mic and spend a little more money. ANyone know where to buy those screw in 1/8" 4 conductor connectors?...