Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB1-4030 (40&30m duoband rotary dipole) Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB1-4030 (40&30m duoband rotary dipole)
OptiBeam OB1-4030 (40&30m duoband rotary dipole) Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $833. USD
Description: Based on the famous OB1-40 high efficient 40 meter rotary dipole which is almost loss free shortened by two high Q air coils. 30m added as a full sized computer designed stub element with highest performance possible. Low SWR on both bands. Mechanically realized in the most robust way possible.
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB1-4030 (40&30m duoband rotary dipole).

K3UL Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2011 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Favorably Impressed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the OptiBeam OB1-4030 in January of this year. Got the antenna up in the spring. I made my own balun which ultimately came back to bite me. I just hav a har time with those PL259 connectors. The antenna went together flawlessly. So nice to have one (1) extra of each bolt and nut. The installation went just as planned.

I immediately realized that this antenna was a better performer than my Cushcraft D40 and definitely better than the 30M add on kit for my Cushcraft A3WS.

Ultimately, the bbalun became intermittent and I had to replace it with another unit from the RF Connection.

Bottom line, the SWR on 40 meters is less than 1.3 1 and on 30M less than 1.2 X 1. It just flat out plays and honestly, if I can hear it, I can work it. I'd give Tom and his team at Optibeam 5 stars for a well designed and outstanding product.

I also ordered the OB9-5 which I hope to have up sometime this winter.
73, Bob K3UL

DF3GY Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2011 08:43 Send this review to a friend
More than just a single element  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For 9 years now I am a more than satisfied owner of the OptiBeam 20-17-15-12-10m fiveband Yagi OB9-5.
30m so far was covered by an inverted vee and 40m by a fixed Oblong (East-West).
These antennas worked, but on 30m I did not get out the way I wished, something was missing, many pile ups I never was able to get through, and on 40m I could not work into all directions, though the Oblong (vertically polarized) had good gain and a very flat take off angle, definitely being a dx antenna.

So I spoke with Tom, DF2BO, President of OptiBeam, and asked what he would recommend.
I have to say, I am limited to a single tower with a heavy duty rotatable mast on top, but this system cannot handle huge 40/30m antennas in addition to the already installed OB9-5.
Tom clearly said that the 40/30m rotary dipole OB1-4030, installed above my OB9-5, should be the way to go.
He explained that I could expect a significant improvement above my inverted vee on 30m.
Regarding 40m I would not loose anything compared to the main beam heading of the Oblong, plus that with the rotary dipole I would cover directions which the Oblong, in my case being a fixed system, did not cover.

Well, so I ordered the OB1-4030. After the wonderful experience I had made with my OB9-5, why should I not trust the words of OptiBeam ?

The antenna went together like a snap, being far going pre assembled.
The quality of the used materials are first class, as to be expected, knowing the quality of the OB9-5.
The antenna is extremely ruggid, very well built, and also has an element truss rope which keeps the element almost perfectly horizontal.
On 40m the OptiBeam high Q coils, world wide well known for many years, are used to reduce the element length almost nearly loss free down to a convenient 14.70 meters.
On 30m a so called stub element (rather full sized) is used, so maximum performance can be expected also here.

When the antenna was installed about 3.00 Meters above my OB9-5, in line with the boom of the Yagi, I already enjoyed the look of this combination.
The SWR check quickly showed lovely SWR curves for both bands.

And now of course the question how the OB1-4030 performs in the daily dx business.
After having it in use for 9 monts now, shortly saying, I am fascinated.
The difference on 30m, compared to my before used inverted vee, is just like day and night.
And on 40m, in the main direction of the Oblong, the OB1-4030 even beats it noticeably, not like day and night, but in a way that there is a difference, and in pile ups any bit counts. And furthermore, at the sides of the Oblong, there certainly is the day and night difference, things I never would have worked with the Oblong I now can.

To cut it short.
I am simply amazed what you can do with a rotary dipole, if it is installed properly (the OB1-4030 works already fine at 15 meters above ground, I have it up somewhat higher).
It leaves to me the impression that it is way more than „just“ a rotary dipole.
This antenna can only be highly recommended to all hams who do not have the space and possibilities to install a Yagi fort these bands.
It is not a cheap antenna for a single element. But the mechanical quality and the on the air performance more than justify every single Cent invested into it.

F8FAZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2010 02:36 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When i took the decision to perform on 40m and 30m,i read all reviews on eham.net.I phoned and emailed some company and was very impressed by the fast answers from Tom at OPTIBEAM..
Ron at VINECOM ANTENNA helped me in my choice and one month later i received the antenna..
.Well packaged from the factory (thanks Diana)
.No problem with the assembly (instructions manual is clear) and found also allen keys and nut driver!!!!!!!
.low SWR across the 2 bands
You know why the antenna is a little more expensive than the others
I really enjoy this 2 bands as never before.