Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1728B 2M 5/8 Wave / 6M Mobile Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1728B 2M 5/8 Wave / 6M Mobile
MFJ-1728B 2M 5/8 Wave / 6M Mobile Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: 2/6 meter mobile mag-mount
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1728B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1728B 2M 5/8 Wave / 6M Mobile.

W6OU Rating: 0/5 Jul 20, 2013 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Input shorted  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first thing I did after purchasing this antenna was to place it on the roof of my car and measure the VSWR. It measured off-scale on my analyzer at 2m and 6m and every other frequency. I used an Ohmmeter to measure the resistance between the coax plug center pin and ground and found it was shorted!

KD5YVY Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2013 19:44 Send this review to a friend
10 years still strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this as my very first antenna in 2003, The antenna has been on top of either a car, truck, or suv it's entire 10 year life. I recently bought a new antenna from MFJ to go with a new radio I bought for my vehicle, and have now moved this 1728 antenna on to my patrol car (use a handheld hooked to it while working). The element has gotten pretty beat up over the years and now being on my patrol car it isn't about to get any slack on the rough rides, but this antenna still performs great. I never used the 6m so I can't speak for performance on 6 meters.
I would recommend for someone looking for 2m/6m dual band, but 2m/440 I would suggest giving the MFJ-1412 a try (my current mobile antenna).

KC8IMB Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2012 07:01 Send this review to a friend
14 years, never had a problem!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iíve had this antenna since 1998 (14 years as of this writing) and it still works great. It should be noted it is no longer in the ďelementsĒ all the time. For the first 3 years it was on my car continuously. Now this is the antenna I use on the XYLís car or when needing temporary setup only. All other times itís in the garage. It functions like the day I got it! SWR is good and gain seems as specified. Slap it on your roof and make some contacts. One canít go wrong for $26 (R & L).

KD8BQN Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2012 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this to replace a jetstream antenna that had broken, I was looking for a reasonably priced 5/8 wave on 2m for my FT-2800M and boy have I found one! I have taken this antenna in winds over 100 mph (traveling 75 into a 30 mph headwind) and have had NO problems with it blowing over. It does bend back pretty far, but this doesn't seem to affect performance. It is flexible enough so that if you hit something (branch, drive through overhang, parking garage) the antenna either flexes or falls over, i've not had it bend permanently, just flex and spring back to vertical. LOVE this antenna!

5 rating because it has performed WONDERFULLY in rain, ice, snow, sleet, hail, extreme cold (~ 10 below F), heat (over 100 F) and seems to still give me a great signal!

N1LQJ Rating: 1/5 Oct 4, 2011 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Magnet is not strong enough  Time owned: more than 12 months
Magnet was not strong enough to hold antenna on car at 80MPH, a normal HWY speed in my area. I took the antenna off and replaced it. I placed the antenna on the center of my steel car port. It has been blown off 4 times now!

Magnet is too dang small!

KD0PBO Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2011 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Mobile!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The MFJ-1728B may be 40-someodd-inches tall and very ugly sitting on your car or truck but the truth of the matter is..IT WORKS and does it very well. The mag mount is strong and has held on my truck's roof up to 75mph (im sure it holds past that). Coax is a tad short if you have a bigger truck (think f-250 or 2500) but for a smaller pickup like mine or a car it is fine. Fantastic range for me running a 2m 60w TCVR. Range will vary from me depending on what kind of power you run but this antenna will surely handle most if not all standard mobile units on the market. Im not expecting this to last a terrible amount of time seeing that it was only $30 and the mount is made of plastic, but if i get a year or more out of it i will be satisfied enough to buy a another one. Like some other reviewers stated, FOR THE MONEY IT CANT BE BEAT!!

N6DLH Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2011 18:31 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had this for about 3 months, I can hit repeaters all around that I was not able to hit with a 1/4 wave. Overall I am very impressed.

KB1TRY Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2011 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Best 30 bucks ever.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had for a few months. I only run a Yaesu Ft 250 HT in the car. this antenna works awsome. on the trunk of our Toyota camry and Saturn LS2 it works great. 5 watts and getting into distant repeaters no problems. great antenna. no 6 meter here. If your going to run an HT mobile, get this one. best buy

K6JFS Rating: 0/5 Jan 28, 2011 08:26 Send this review to a friend
One year old junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After one year I started getting loss of signal and noise. (High noise/static that the squelch would not remove.) I thought the coax was crimped/damaged so I replaced it. No dice.. When I unscrewed the antenna from the mag mount I was shocked to find it COMPLETELY CORRODED INSIDE. The thin metal strip/foil contact affixed to the antenna that touches the flat round contact of the mag mount has completely disintegrated. This is my first MFJ product ever purchased. It will guide future purchase decisions for sure.

AE6ZW Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2010 23:21 Send this review to a friend
work fine in normal use.  Time owned: more than 12 months
the antenna work well with normal use.
however with abused use, it is not as strong as Larsen antenna. after hitting tree brach driving 50 mph, brass ring insert of NMO ground connection came loose. similar Larsen ANT also strike tree brach at the same time did not break.