Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1728B 2M 5/8 Wave / 6M Mobile Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1728B 2M 5/8 Wave / 6M Mobile
MFJ-1728B 2M 5/8 Wave / 6M Mobile Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: 2/6 meter mobile mag-mount
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1728B

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1728B 2M 5/8 Wave / 6M Mobile.

W9GAS Rating: 0/5 May 20, 2010 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Mighty Fine Junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased at Dayton from MFJ booth Friday May 14. Connected it for the trip home on 15th. Could not hear anything on simplex or the home repeater when I got close. Took it apart and found the center conductor not touching the contact but had a nice blob of solder though. MIGHTY FINE JUNK.

Great 'no matter what' warranty: you pay to send it back and you pay for them to return it! Mighty Fine Junk, indeed!

MFJ should be considered the Wal-Mart of ham radio. Everything they sell is either China or Taiwan.

EX_AA5JG Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2009 21:56 Send this review to a friend
A best buy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This has to be the best $30 I have ever spent on a piece of equipment. I bought one of these almost 7 years ago, and have put 10,000 miles or so on it at highway speeds. It hasn't failed once. I have probably worked 30 states on so on 6m with it while on different trips. I just returned last night from a 1600 mile road trip using it from Oklahoma to Iowa and back and made quite a few nice 6m QSOs on it. Most people couldn't believe I was running 35 watts to a mobile whip. I have used it on 2m a little and it does fine there also.

If you want to go mobile on 6m just get this and enjoy!

N4LI Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2009 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Works as one expects...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Buying MFJ is like buying a box of chocolates. As Mrs. Gump would say, “you never know what you’re gonna get.” But, with the 1728b, you’ll be happy.

Perhaps the antenna’s simplicity is the key to quality control – there are no springs, matching networks, or coils. It’s just a magnetic NMO mount and a stainless steel whip. If it were any less complicated, it wouldn’t be an antenna.

I just received my latest 1728b. It’s Summer, and I would like to have the ability to run 6m mobile. After completing the easy assembly, I put it on the analyzer, and was quite surprised. On 2m, SWR is acceptable. It dips a bit lower than one might want – around 142 MHz – but the SWR is tolerable throughout the band. But, on 6m, SWR was fabulous. Mine came in at 1.1:1 right in the 6m sweet spot for SSB, and was still OK on the FM call channel of 52.525. That’s pretty broad.

I haven’t had a chance to use the antenna on 6m yet. But, I have worked several stations who were using them. They apparently work as one would expect for a ¼ wave antenna. Physics, it seems, are physics. And, my previous 1728b worked well on 2m, though, I am unsure how much benefit it provides over a ¼ wave in the real world.

My main concerns and complaints about this antenna relate to the mag mount. The glue on my previous version broke down, rendering the mount useless. My brother had a similar issue. But, the antennas worked for quite a while, certainly long enough to justify the cost.

Need a basic 2m/6m antenna? This is a good choice.

Peter, N4LI

AC5PS Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2007 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Back were I started  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got one about 12 years ago and remember it working really good on 2m, it was sold many years ago. A few months ago I wanted to set-up 2 and 6 meters mobile and I remembered about the MFJ antenna, I got another one and it's one heck of a 2 / 6 meter antenna.

W4AIJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2007 22:22 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
They're right. This antenna is a Winner for 2 meter mobile, it'd be hard to beat .

W4MRK Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2005 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simply the best I have ever used mobile. I have tried Larsen, Comet, Diamond etc. I have spent up to $125.00, but have never found a mobile 2m antenna that will outperform the 1728. The antenna works so good that I bought another one for my base station. The new antenna sits on a sheet of tin in my rafters and I routinely work repeaters up to 100 miles away.

KE5FYR Rating: 2/5 Dec 15, 2005 16:02 Send this review to a friend
Got a lemon....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine worked Ok for about 3 months and then started losing signal strength. The "screw-in" part to the mag mount broke. I finally took it apart and the connections inside the mag mount were corroded beyond belief. Looks like they used hot glue or silicone seal to try to waterproof the connections. It didn't work very well. Replaced it with a Wilson 2M mag mount.
Mike in Louisiana

KC8TRL Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2005 19:11 Send this review to a friend
A great antenna that works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought this antenne for $30.00 then installed it and went to work it works great it is truly an ant worth it dollar for dollar the 5/8 wave performence is amazing I yet to test it on 6 meters I work several miles (27-50) from the local repeaters that I use and I can get into them with 5 watts and simplex that was a shock to me also now keep in mind I use to use a giass mounted ant (which I can not complain about but finding a reinstall kit was hard) this ant is well worth buyinf everyone should buy one also if not for everyday use but as a backup were an ant that works is highly needed .

W8KQE Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2003 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Worked many 6m grids with this!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted an inexpensive, but well-made car antenna for 6m SSB/CW openings while operating from the mobile/rover. Running just 25w out from a Ranger 5054DX 6m rig, I was able to work at least 30 grids during the VHF contest in about 2 hours, with good signal reports. For it's relative low cost, this antenna is a total WINNER for 6 meters, with excellent SWR and performance. I've caught many 6m openings in the mobile by monitoring 50.125 MHz while driving on errands!

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2003 01:53 Send this review to a friend
Gets the job done  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this at a hamfest last July, and immediately went to the parking lot, hooked it up to my FT100D, and worked Florida on 6 meters. Used it the next day for the CQVHF contest, and made several 6 meter contacts while mobile, including Michigan and Tennessee. It also performs very well on 2 meters, getting into repeaters 50 miles away or so on my HT. The magnet holds very well at all highway speeds-and the speed limit in OK is 75 mph. No reason to pay more for an antenna when this gets the job done.