Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Pro Whip Antennas - Pro Whip 160-6m Help

Reviews Summary for Pro Whip Antennas - Pro Whip 160-6m
Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $£75
Description: Pro Whip Portable Antennas. Vertical Whips & Loops.
More info: http://www.prowhipantennas.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the Pro Whip Antennas - Pro Whip 160-6m.

M1GRY Rating: 1/5 Mar 30, 2016 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Unusable  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the delta loop at a radio rally last year, but only briefly tried it out. Today I set it up and connected it to a MiniVNA-Pro analyser. Over the HF band the SWR was always above 5. Once into the VHF region the SWR pattern "stabilised" (the graph plot oscillated up and down repeatedly) and there was a SWR of 1 at 140MHz. This was done measuring at the connector using Bluetooth to connect to the analyser. Of course once you connect to the antenna using a random length of coax, then the antenna "system" might just have low enough SWR in the amateur bands to allow an ATU to tune. I tried several lengths of coax, but the internal rig of my tuner couldn't work with it.

Pity as the antenna is compact when packed in its tube, and is really easy and quick to setup. It would be ideal for operating /P or SOTA.

BTW the web site has disappeared. There is a mobile(cell) phone number on the antenna (balun box?) but it is dead. Looks like the company is no longer in business. I was hoping to contact for support.

G8GMU Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2016 07:09 Send this review to a friend
It Really works!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 4M length & used the 10Mtr length
Prowhip for many years. The shorter version only good for 40 Metres and the higher bands as one would expect. The 10 metre length good on all bands.

I have seen some poor reviews then the reviewer say's I added extra radials or I did this that and the other - DONT it is intended to work into a counterpoise (a single radial for the dim!)
I have tried messing with it it makes a good antenna a horrid mismatch. It is what it is a very good handy portable antenna, and just about 3db down on an 88 foot top doublet. What a shame the seem no longer to be made by Prowhip.

M6RLR Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2016 02:17 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had my 6M Delta loop for about 2 months works great in fact its very good, going to see if he still does the larger 10M version

G8WWD Rating: 1/5 Jan 13, 2016 06:21 Send this review to a friend
OK if you really can't get something better up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 8m Pro Whip for a few years now and only use it very occasionally, as it is very poor.

In my garden, in the clear, with a decent earth and half a dozen radials, the Pro Whip is around 4 to 5 S points lower than my half size G5RV on all bands on both send and receive. The 1/2 G5RV is only 20 ft up and is very close to the side of the house for half of it's length, so it is not exactly a greatly positioned antenna. I hate to think how the Pro Whip would perform against a decent antenna!

I guess the Pro Whip is OK for doing a bit of portable work at a temporary location if you just want something that is easy to carry and easily put up in around 5 mins, but don't expect great performance, as you won't get it!

M6AOC Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2015 01:15 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this antenna as I heard some negative comments and seeing as I was looking for a vertical anyway, it was time to buy one. I purchased the 10m one without radicals. I have to admit I love QRP. I only operate 5w no more. I use my 817 as the main rig with my LDG tuner. Putting up the prowhip is easy. I use 4 bungies to support the antenna on my clothes line.

On Sunday the 26th October 2015, I realised how good this vertical is. Problem was that Sunday was contest day, and with only 5erp, it was going to be difficult but not impossible. I had been checking the conditions of the HF band's and they seemed very good. 40m was looking particular hot. Turned on the radio late morning and signals were coming from all directions. It was mad. How on earth can a QRP station break through. I reflected and remembered verticals can offer better dx in distance then wires. 40m, 20m, 15m was a nightmare, every frequency was busy, with not one station but two or three stations on the same frequency.

I called out, and get a 5/9. I continue and continue getting 5/9 reports. The same went for 40m and 15m band. Conditions were good. I heard some Russian stations calling and I could not hold back, I called out and kept calling out my call was acknowledged and I was able to exchange details.

So, what do I think of the prowhip antenna? It is a compromise. Will not beat a beam, but then again I work no more than 5w. I love my prowhip. One last thing my contact to Russia, was recorded on my phone. Who needs 1kw or 400w, to make good DX. I hope this article gives some help in deciding if the prowhip is any good

M3MQR Rating: 1/5 Nov 28, 2013 10:52 Send this review to a friend
on loan  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Loaned this Delta loop from a friend, all test's were cw/rtty

Construction: The arms are too short, this leaving nearly a foot of hanging wire at the feed point. The feed point look's like it should be upside down so rain cannot get into the pl259 plug.
On air:Tunable 10/40m with a versa tuner 2: 10/15/20m mutch lower db than my hygain avq12 , only contact was EU with poor rst compaired to when the verticle was tuned for 40m.
Summary: noisey, non directional even on 10m were no difference was noted with side on station's. Most test's were on receive.

I'm glad I didn't buy it or I would of been very disappointed, hope other do better with it. 73 GL M3MQR

2E0WPZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2013 06:43 Send this review to a friend
works for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
now a 2E0 and have been using my second 10mtr high pro whip on the van using 50Watts and have nothing but praise for it still. Shall I open the unun??? no! if it aint broke then why mend it?
It isn`t quite on par with my Hustler 5BTV but I didn`t expect it to compete at 1/10th the price. Don`t be put off from trying one, for what they are and cost mine works a treat.

M0CFM Rating: 1/5 Aug 7, 2013 03:08 Send this review to a friend
Wot a load of Rubbish  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this on a whim! Thought it would make a simple portable antenna, wow was I wrong! After plenty of trying I couldn't get a contact on it! And in the end broke open the UnUn! All was revealed, what a lash up! My cat could make a better one with her paws tied together! No wonder it was super clued closed! The idea was good, the pole and other hardware were good, even the wire! So why cut corners on the UnUn? I made my own for a few quid and hey presto! It worked!
Take my advise, build your own antenna, your save money but best of all it will work!

M0NAF Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2013 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a 10Metre long whip for over a year now. It works me all over the world with an ATU and my Yaesu FT897 or my Alinco DX-70TH. I cannot agree with the guy who said they donít stand up to the weather etc. Mine is up in the back garden, each joint is sealed with tape, as suggested, and it has stood up to 65mph winds when fully up. It is cable strapped to a fence post and works very well indeed and is quiet. So much so that I am getting a second one to use mobile. I do have more than the provided wires attached and that has helped.

When mobile I try to connect at least one of the ground wires to a wire fence. It makes a huge difference. Well worth the money and very effective.

M3NOW Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2013 08:24 Send this review to a friend
works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
hi all
got the smaller of the 2 loops as an experiment last sunday at a local rally..
quick antenna to put up..
works well 20m to 10m,,40m ok,,80m mmm not as good as advertized,,160m not worth tx..
been up 1 week at 7 feet of the ground and worked mainly europe and 1 state side (wg3j) all this on my 10 watts..
all in all a nice little antenna..
will have to get the bigger one at the next rally..

regards