Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Pro Whip Antennas - Pro Whip 160-6m Help

Reviews Summary for Pro Whip Antennas - Pro Whip 160-6m
Reviews: 22 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $75
Description: Pro Whip Portable Antennas. Vertical Whips & Loops.
More info: http://www.prowhipantennas.co.uk/

You can write your own review of the Pro Whip Antennas - Pro Whip 160-6m.

EI4KE Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2012 00:33 Send this review to a friend
Good for what it is,,,,,,,  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is good for what it is, a big mobile whip,,,,,, in fact, a whole lot better than a mobile whip,,,,,,, quality of pole is a 3 but better poles are expensive,,,I have used mine in Canada, Spain and at home and it works ok. N W Canada to States/ Europe and a Spannish beach to Barbados and States, Ireland to Europe and some dx,,,,, it's not a 3 ele beam or a Carolina Windom @ 35' but it works........ Seamus

2E0SDR Rating: 0/5 Dec 27, 2011 02:26 Send this review to a friend
Absolute Rubbish  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is no quality to this item antenna, they work to a degree.
They are made from low quality cheap fishing poles, plus they are always calapsing.
The tips don't last long they always break and they UNUN is poorly made and weather sealed. I also found that you need more than one counterpoise wire to wake it up on the bands.

Make one yourself for a lot less and experiment, you will not find it hard to increase the performance on the original ProWhip.

AVOID, SAVE YOUR MONEY!

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2011 02:35 Send this review to a friend
nothing but praise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have almost every offering from ProWhip antennas, and I can say they are a very fine way of getting on the air. The vertical poles work tremendously well and last week I had PT7CB 59 report on the 6m travel whip. Adding a few counterpoises to the one supplied helps.

The delta loops are even more astonishing, the noise level is low giving you an excellent signal-to-noise ratio. The 3 metre loop is the ultimate in portability and the 10m is for the field days where you have loads of space. My favourite is the 6m, giving the best performance in a smaller package.

I am a big user of portable antennas, so I have lots to compare Pro Whip with, and I would say they are worth the money for sure. OK, so you can make your own, but that applies to all antennas, but it depends if have the time and skill. Check out my QRZ page for a link to my YouTube videos which includes a Pro whip Delta loop in use.

G7EMD Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2011 09:24 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I HAVE NOW HAD TWO WEEKS MORE USING THE PRO WHIP
(6MTR.HIGH ONE). AND DURING LAST WEEKENDS HF CONTEST ,I WORKED STATIONS MORE THAN 4000 MILES
AWAY FROM ME.MOST ON 20MTRS. SOME ON 17 AND 15MTRS.MAKING USE OF MY MFJ969 ATU.
HOWEVER WHILE I CAN RECEIVE ON 40MTR.I HAVE NOT YET MADE ANY CONTACTS ON THIS BAND,80/160MTRS I CANNOT TUNE INTO,
I WILL INPROVE THE GROUND SYSTEM SOON HOPING TO GET 80/160MTRS.I MUST ADD THAT I CAN NOW CONTACT PARTS OF EUROPE THAT WERE A CLOSED BOOK TO ME

G7EMD Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2011 11:11 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I AM LEG DISABLED ,I WAS ABLED TO SET UP THE 6 MTR. PRO WHIP VERY QUICKLY.I LIVE 30 MILES IN LAND YET ONLY 71 FEET A.S.L .I HAVE HAD A NUMBER OF GROUND MOUNTED ANTENNAS COSTING UPTO 250!!
I SENT THE MAKER A EMAIL ASKING ABOUT GROUNDPOISE LENGTHS AND A REPLY WITHIN AN HOUR.TO JUST ADD AS MENY 10.6 METER LONG GROUND WIRES AS I COULD ,I
ADDED THREE TO THE ONE THAT SUPPLIED .
RESULT!!!!!!
THIS ANTENNA HAS PUT ALL THE THE OTHERS I HAVE USED TO SHAME,FOR THE PRICE IT IS WORTH A PUNT.
I HAVE A ROOF MOUNTED ANTENNA BUT THE PRO WHIP
GIVES ME REPORTS 2-3 POINTS MORE.

EI3GSB Rating: 0/5 Jun 19, 2011 05:12 Send this review to a friend
Don't waste your money!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this overpriced loop as I wanted to do some HF at my current QTH. I thought, given the claims made by the maker of these loops that it would work well even at ground level, I might get active on the HF bands. It receives pretty well, as any length of wire would, but repeated calls simply go unanswered. I changed the balun but to no avail. I should've have used my half size G5RV (if I knew where I put it!) but I wanted to try a loop... at 70 including the postage I wish I hadn't...!

2E0SDR Rating: 3/5 Jan 25, 2011 13:02 Send this review to a friend
It's OK  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Not bad for the money, it certainly works. I think the build quality lets it down a bit, but for the money what do you expect.

M0ZIF Rating: 4/5 Dec 28, 2010 01:45 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for portable work  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you live in a small qth or have the issue of being unable to mount antennas the prowhip works. I bought a 6, then made a 10m REMEMBER that its a fishing pole and use tape to hold the sections up for long periods of installation. IT does work. I've worked DX into brazil and south america with it easily and many eu contacts also oh and the odd Japanese station don't expect good local contacts remember its a vertical antenna

Martin
M0ZIF

M3IUC Rating: 2/5 Aug 26, 2010 09:12 Send this review to a friend
not so good  Time owned: months
i have made two of these and i can confirm that they do work, but wouldn't consider using it at your home qth unless you live a mile away from anybody with a TV or radio, my ft 920 could not tune it on many bands but my mfj 949e could. as for price i made mine for 20 so there price isnt that bad, time is money got to make a profit.
make one your self and see the un-un is simple to make , do a serch on google.

M0EDY Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2010 08:18 Send this review to a friend
GOOD/EASY TO SET UP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I HAVE THE 6 METER LONG PRO WHIP
EASY TO SET UP WORKS WELL
WORKED DX ON IT INTO THE US AND ALSO ALL OVER THE EU
ITS NOT A BEAM AT 500 FEET ITS A GROUND MOUNTED WHIP , THINK OF THIS BEFORE BUYING. I WILL ADD 3 RADIALS FOR EACH BAND IE 40/20/17/10 LATER .BUT WORKS OK WITH THE ONE 10 METER LONG RADIAL THAT ITS SUPPLYED WITH IT . NEEDS A ATU ON ALL THE BANDS APART FROM 20 METERS BUT I NEW THIS BEFORE BUYING IT . GOOD FOR CAMPING/CARAVAN/MOTORHOME ETC TUNES FROM 40 TO 6 METERS WITH ATU WILL ALSO TUNE ON 80 METERS BUT WHIP IS TO SMALL FOR IT TO WORK WELL SO BUY THE 10METER ONE IF YOU NEED 80 METERS