Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | N3ZI DDS2 DDS VFO KIT Help

Reviews Summary for N3ZI DDS2 DDS VFO KIT
N3ZI  DDS2  DDS VFO KIT Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $79.00
Description: This is a direct digital synthesized stand alone VFO kit capable of producing a clean sine wave up through 34 MHz.
Kit includes eveything needed to build the VFO and control it though its encoder, 2 momentary pushbuttons, DC in and RF out. Capable of step sizes as small as 1Hz and display resolution to 1 Hz. 10 memories, 2 VFO's, software calibration, RIT, RS232 capable, and programmable IF's.
More info: http://www.pongrance.com/super-dds.html

You can write your own review of the N3ZI DDS2 DDS VFO KIT.

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2016 17:53 Send this review to a friend
FB  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered this after working one on the air. The DDS went together well with my limited kit building skills... the buffer amp did not work as sent out, redesigned with a more conventional design, works fine. Put it in a little plastic case, works well with my Knightkit T-60 and homebrew 6MJ6. Much better than my Heathkit HG-10B!!!

W7MBR Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2015 03:33 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Product Great customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I liked the first one so well I had to order another one. I built a little buffer amplifier circuit and the DDS VFO does a great job driving my vintage tube radios. They are now completely stable with no chirps on CW with accurate frequency readout. The kit isn't that hard to assemble either with the included quality components. Although the N3ZI DDS VFO Manual mentions it, here's an easy way to solder in that little surface mount Chip included in the kit. With a medium heat fine tipped soldering iron simple run the tip and solder across all of the pins in one complete sweep letting the solder overlap. Then, with good quality solder wick, simply lay it across the pins and remove most of the solder. Check with a magnifying glass and make sure there are no solder bridges. Repeat if necessary. It's almost impossible to remove too much solder as the pins on the chip will remain secured to the PC board.

VK2BEN Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2014 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Great value-for-money and featureset  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use these devices for accurate and stable frequency generation in my HF APRS tracker projects.

A particularly useful feature (for my purposes) is the simple RIT offset that can be keyed at at least 300baud.

I use this feature in conjunction with a Byonics TinyTrak3 (TT3) fitted with a custom FSK chip (Available from Byon).

Endgame: it works so well that I have a backlog of orders for trackers ;-)

Looking for xtal-like stability (or better?) and frequency agility? Look no further than N3ZI.

Disclaimer: I'm just a happy customer.

VK5GI Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2013 01:22 Send this review to a friend
A really useful tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
Doug should be given the Nobel Prize. His DDS VFO kits are promptly shipped, reasonably easy to construct and the bottom line is that they WORK! I do a lot of home brew, and use N3ZI dds vfo in my rigs exclusively. Why shouldn't I? I have had nothing but success with them, and if it ain't broke, I sure as hell ain't going to fix it! If you are into homebrew or restoration projects, I really recommend Doug's products.

KS1U Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 22:29 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid and Precise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been home brewing rigs for nearly 50 years. In the old days my equipment relied on the patience of the other operator to slowly follow me as I drifted across the band. As the years progressed I settled on a Vackar VFO in a heterodyne configuration, which provided fairly accurate and steady service, but at the cost of time, size of device, number of components and cost. N3ZI has a small, steady as a rock, precise vfo with more features than most people will need. It is priced inexpensively and goes together quickly. My latest home-brew project (a 30 meter CW XCVR) uses his latest kit, you can see a photo of this admittedly unusual looking modular radio on my QRZ page. The vfo is easy to program with buttons on the vfo or with a computer and makes operating home-brew rigs a pleasure. No worry about drifting in frequency or wondering what frequency you are actually on. If you are moderately competent with solder and and iron, you'll have no trouble putting this together in one evening. This is the second one I bought from Doug and I'll be placing an order for another one for my next project soon.

AE4GM Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2013 12:43 Send this review to a friend
GREAT VFO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I always wanted to build a transceiver from parts and different kits. The N3ZI DDS VFO made it possible. I use it to drive the kitsandparts.com 5 watt cw amp and the Tentec 1056 DC receiver. It is set up to transmit on the dialed frequency and has an adjustable offset when not transmitting that goes to the DC receiver set at a 600 hz difference. It works wonderfully. No drift and very reliable. I do have to reseat the main chip on the board from time to time, though. My rig is set up now for 20, 30, 40, and 80 meters. A picture is on QRZ.COM under my call sign AE4GM. Doug Pongrance's customer service is also super.

KE0Z Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2013 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for homebrewers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an 80 meter HB CW transceiver I built a few years ago with a free running VFO. It drifted a bit and had a little chirp so I became embarrassed to put it on the air. As a result, it collected dust on the shelf for a few years. I saw this DDS VFO on the Internet and decided to give it a try. What a difference. My little HB rig is a brand new radio and sounds just like a rice box. I will be having fun on 80 CW again.

PA0FRI Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2013 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very clean output, work as described the first time. The frequency accuracy is good.
Use it temporary as a VFO for a PHILIPS RO 110 receiver and will be purchasing more in the future for other projects. The speed up algorithm is a welcome assesoire.

AA4PB Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2012 05:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice Signal Generator  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This thing makes a nice signal generator source for HF.

WA5VSZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2012 16:30 Send this review to a friend
very nice kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Doug makes a very nice VFO kit. I put one in the external speaker box for my KWM2A . It makes the old rig really fun to use. NO drift ! I have several Icom rigs and I use the Collins the most now. I like my Icom's but people need to ask what radio I am using ,they can not tell when I use the Collins, No drift, I think I said that already. If you have an old rig you would like to bring back to life and put it on frequency and keep it on frequency get N3ZI's DDS2 DDS VFO Kit.