Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-8DR -( APRS® / GPS / Bluetooth® Handheld ) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-8DR -( APRS® / GPS / Bluetooth® Handheld )
Yaesu VX-8DR -( APRS® / GPS / Bluetooth® Handheld ) Reviews: 14 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $499.00
Description: The Yaesu VX-8DR is an APRS® enhanced version of VX8R.
('has same appearance as VX-8R & uses same accessories)

Key additional features of VX-8DR include:
+ Smart Beaconing™ Function.
+ Station List memories increased from 40 to 50.
+ APRS® Message Memories increased from 20 to 30.
+ DIGI-PATH route indication function.
+ Heads up compass display to the GPS screen.
+ Message received LED flashing rate is selectable.
+ DIGI-PATH route settings increased from 1 to 7.

(Yaesu will have a VX-8R upgrade-program soon.)
More info: http://rffun.com/catalog/ht/0008.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-8DR -( APRS® / GPS / Bluetooth® Handheld ).

KE7WNB Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2010 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Not perfect, but a good HT.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an impressive little radio. I believe it is the only out-of-the-box APRS capable HT on the market. I purchased it primarily for the APRS function. The closest radio to it is one of the ICOMs, but the ICOM w/DSTAR and the GPS mike is even more expensive than the VX-8 and the ICOMs GPS is only for DSTAR, no APRS with their rig.

I'm only giving it a 4, as it should come with the big battery out of the box, and because of the low maximum audio volume it's capable of.

Overall I like the radio and am happy I bought it. It has a lot of nice features and isn't that hard to use. The menu system is typical Yaesu as is the manual.

As with all HTs it suffers from its small size and complexity. Like others have stated, software is needed to easily program this radio.
That being said, I hand programmed mine and am happy with the results. As I have a VX-6R as my primary HT, I don't need to put every repeater frequency in my area into my VX-8DR. But eventually software to program the radio will be a necessity.

I find the need to do two key presses for most functions to be annoying but not overly so. For example: you need to press the volume key on the side of the radio and at the same time turn the knob to adjust the volume. The knobs primary function is to change the frequency or memory you're monitoring. However I find the APRS portion of the menus very easy to use and well organized. I would also like to mention that there is a headphone jack on the side of the radio above the power jack that will accept most stereo headphones.

Others have already covered the battery issue. The battery this radio comes with has no other use than as a backup battery. Buy the big battery if you buy this radio.

My only other complaint is the low audio volume of the radio. It does not have enough audio gain in my opinion. In a noisy environment, I still have trouble hearing the QSO even with the volume maxed out at 32. By comparison Max volume on the VX-8DR seems comparable to 50% volume on my VX-6R. Maxing out the volume on the VX-6R overdrives the speaker, no such danger on the VX-8DR.

I closing, I bought the VX-8DR for it's APRS capability, and it fulfills that role very well. I needed it compactness and portability for use as a hiker and bicyclist. I would only recommend a radio in the VX-8 family to someone who wants it's GPS capability. For normal voice use, there are cheaper radios out there.

AA4HA Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2010 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the VX-8DR for around a week now and I am very pleased with the HT.

Rather than just singing the praises of this radio (and there are many) I want to focus on the other things you may want to consider;

1. Go with an external programming package unless you like programming by the multiple key press method. (RT Systems works great on this radio).

2. Buy the extended capacity batteries right away when you buy the radio. You will not be pleased with the limitations of the stock batteries.

3. Find a better carry-case than the Yaesu standard vinyl pouch. (I wrote an earlier review on one of those)

4. Consider a different antenna like the Diamond SRH320A. It will not get you up on 6 meters but it makes '220 nicer to use.

KJ4SHJ (AA4HA)

KJ6APX Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2010 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Packed full of fun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great little unit, I am not going to rehash the comments, rather add some of my questions before I purchased the radio.

On APRS you can automatically send your location while you are working voice on the "A" band. You don't have to switch between bands to send a beacon.

You can't transmit while it is charging from an AC source. You can transmit while charging from a DC source. You will need this with the stock battery.

The transmiter, from my reports is on the weak side. Dont know if it is the wateproof micrphone or a draining battery, maybe both.

KP4IP Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2010 13:56 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchase my VX-8DR few days before sale.

I have the GPS unit, excellent unit.

The Bluetooth work fine I tested with Motorola H9, Motorola 390 and work fine.

If you planning use the HT with GPS unit and Bluetooth module you will need to purchase the extended 1800 mha battery. I test first with the original battery but only bring 2hr of operation.

The only bug is that the radio not has way to turn off the GPS unit and if you are not using the APRS the GPS remaining consume battery.

In overall I recommend this HT excellent HT radio. Thanks Yaesu....