Reviews Categories | Microphones for ham radio | Yaesu MH-34B4B HT Spkr-Mic Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu MH-34B4B HT Spkr-Mic
Yaesu MH-34B4B HT Spkr-Mic Reviews: 12 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $$34
Description: HT Speaker Mic for FT-10/40/50 & VX-1R/2R/3R/60R

You can write your own review of the Yaesu MH-34B4B HT Spkr-Mic.

IU3JSX Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2018 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Very good for its size and price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a Yaesu FT-70DE (and I’m very happy with it) and I decided to add an external microphone, to use the HT when driving my car or in other similar situations.

The MH-34B4B was available on ebay for 25 EUR (new) so I decided to give it a try. Not bad materials, solid enough, enough “feel of quality”.

Given the size of the hand mic, which is very small, the speaker has a good and unexpectedly loud sound.
More importantly, I get very good modulation reports by the other stations, which was not obvious for me.
The FT-70DE also has mic gain adjustment but there was no need to touch it. I increased it by a step, just in case, and as I said the reports are all very positive (in both FM and C4FM modes).

One minor caveat when you first use it. The “mic” hole is near the top right corner: be careful not covering it with your finger, or your voice will get almost silenced.

The MH-34B4B also has a 3.5mm speaker output jack to bypass its internal speaker, useful for example when you have an “aux” input available in your car stereo.

All considered (low price, small size, good mic and not so bad a speaker) I think it’s a very good product, high quality/price ratio.

73 de IU3JSX Marco
KC2FYA Rating: 3/5 Oct 23, 2017 13:37 Send this review to a friend
Not what I expected.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the mic for my FT-70DR and I am a little disappointed in the audio quality and volume. I can not see using it in outdoor settings.
N2PYS Rating: 3/5 Jun 16, 2017 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The audio is tinny ,but acceptable in a speaker mic
My one complaint is I use the military Kenwood mic on my 74A with a kep 2 earpiece going to a surefire sonic defender , great system works a charm ,Yaesu uses a smaller jack so I will have to get a separate earpiece just for the yaesu because Kenwood and Icom use a standard connector but yaesu wants to be away I should have expected this because yaesu has been doing shenanigans with speaker connectors on there mobiles for years , so with continuity important they have brought it to HT's .
K4YZ Rating: 1/5 May 20, 2015 03:27 Send this review to a friend
LOUSY MATERIALS FOR MIC CORD  Time owned: more than 12 months

I hate doing this 'cuz I am a huge Yaesu fan otherwise, but every single hand mic I've had from Yaesu since 1992 has had to be replaced within a relatively short time (less than 24 months).

On every single one, the jacket splits and frays, usually at the base of the mic itself, but sometimes at the connector end, and one case (with an FT-1802M) it ran the full length of the cord.

As far as the HF rigs go, it's no big deal as I don't use the "up-dwn" at all. On the V/UHF rigs, it IS a problem as most of the rig's important features are run from the mic. And in some cases, the replacement mic was (is) half the cost of a new rig!

73 de K4YZ
KY4K Rating: 2/5 May 18, 2015 16:51 Send this review to a friend
not so good audio quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked this mic at Dayton. Maybe i got a bad mic but the receive audio is very tinny. I am also told that the tx audio is muffled and is not as good as the built in mic on the FT-1DR. I guess i may try exchanging it or get my money back.
VE2AKS Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2014 04:08 Send this review to a friend
Good mike for your Yaesu handheld radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a demo mike in my favourite radio store for my FT1D. So far so good, the audio is very good both in analog and digital (C4FM/Fusion) modes: you can clearly hear the others and the transmitted audio is also very acceptable. I did some tests both with this mike and the MH-85A: little to not say no differences in transmitted audio.

That being said, the little strap attached to the cable is useless on the FT1D, the button on its top being too big. Not a big issue. The PTT button is a bit stiffer than the FTM400D's stock mike PTT so you have to *push* the PTT, not to *touch* the PTT to transmit ;-)

Don't waste your money on cheap copies (got two of them, none worked) this is the one you want.
KD2CTJ Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2012 12:14 Send this review to a friend
So Far, So Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mic seems sturdy enough. Using with my FT-60R.
I wish there was a way to use only the microphone and allow the audio to come through the HT speaker. That would make listening while mobile easier.
Other than that, happy with purchase so far.
KI4TCX Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2012 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Must have accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought this mike for my ft 60r. All I can say is wow! Small lightweight and packs a punch. I noticed the cord pop out problem right away. There is a cable support supplied by Yaesu which they suggest fits over the antenna. This works only if you are using the stock antenna. Since I will not always be using that antenna another solution was needed. I found a website and they suggest wraping the mic cord behind the radio under the belt clip which places tension on the cord and keeping it from poping out. So far so good. I definately think this was a good purchase.
EI4GMB Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2010 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Sounding Speaker Mic.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my Yaesu MH-34B4B HT Speaker-Mic new at a local Hamfest for 34 Euros. I thought it was a little expensive at the time but I now feel it was worth it. The stiff PTT switch on my FT-60 HT was hard going and the MH-34B4B proved easier on my hand and also gave me more flexibility of movement.
Audio reports with this little speaker mic have been fantastic and some have even thought I was using a base rig and not a HT the sound was that good !!!
I would highly recommend the Yaesu MH-34B4B HT Spkr-Mic. It certainly will not disappoint !!!
W4IW Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2010 18:47 Send this review to a friend
2 Thumbs Up  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this on my FT-60R for nearly 3 years and I get unsolicited WOW comments on how my radio sounds even from other FT-60R owners. Only a few bucks more than a cheap copy and you can have the best.