Reviews Categories | Microphones | Yaesu MH-67A8J Hand Mic Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu MH-67A8J Hand Mic
Yaesu MH-67A8J Hand Mic Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $40.00
Description: Hand Mic supplied with Yaesu FT-450 - 8 pin. Mod.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu MH-67A8J Hand Mic.

LB6BG Rating: 4/5 Jan 28, 2016 03:51 Send this review to a friend
Agree with M6KPO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the MH-67A8J for years with my FT-450, and everybody comments my modulation in a positive way, even when I ask for "critical" modulation reports. So: The performance is great.
However, thru the years the outer part of the cord right at the mic-plug, has broken now. I will buy a new MH-67, that's for sure :-)

M0KFO Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2015 00:30 Send this review to a friend
MH-31 replacement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like many others, bought this to replace the MH-31 that came with my new FT-450D.

Whilst some people think that the 31 is okay, I never had good audio reports, despite playing about with the gain, mic eq and switch on rear.

In fact I often got comments that there was something wrong with my audio, very muffled or background noises.

The 67 gives me no problems at all, I don't expect glowing audio reports from a hand mic, but it is good to not constantly be told that, it needs sorting.

MH-67 was about 28 in the UK.

K4TXI Rating: 4/5 Apr 21, 2014 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Good on the 857d  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have bought this mic for $35.00 & it works perfect for the 857,897 radios Its far better match for the radio than the supplied mh-31 which It seems ok but the audio with the MH-67A8J Is far better & and has some punch to it for working dx , So I recommend you buy one of these mics to go with your 857 or 897 as again there better than the stock mic.

PA1ZP Rating: 3/5 Feb 7, 2014 03:29 Send this review to a friend
cheap but very good audio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi to you all

The mike was the thing that performed best on the FT450

The CW RX of the FT450 is very bad.
SSB RX is failrly.
TX audio of FT450 is good.

The MH67 mike is a cheap and even very cheap produced mic.

It has as with the MH31 standard build in steel plates to give it some weight , and try to say by weight this mike has quality.

The PTT button is a mouse switch as seen in your computer mouse.
If you remove the dead weight of the steel plates it feels like it is , a very cheap CB mike, and I must say I have seen much better build quality CB mikes during the years.
first thing I do after recieving MH31 or MH67 remove dead weight, it only makes these mikes going broken earlier if you accidentally drop them on the floor.
The connectors used in the FT450 or FT857 or TMG707 are thos awfull plastic RJ things that will fail in a few years.
I know that these connectors are much easyer and cheaper to connect in the production process, but as a mike connecter it is worthless and very bad.

There is a big plus though.
The audio of this very cheap mike is very very good in combination with the FT450.
It is using a 50 cents condensor mike and it sounds very good, and much better as a MH31 on the FT450.
And if you hold it in your hand it fits my hand very good.

So the mike is the cheapest thing I ever seen delivered with a rig and has the same build quality of the standard hand mike that comes with the Kenwood TMG707, the only thing I can say there is no quality to find in these mike at all, but the audio is very good.

KA3RCS Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2014 22:46 Send this review to a friend
Unusually good stock mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
The stock mics included with many radios are a lot like the stock antennas included with most HTs. They are just enough to allow the radio to operate, but anyone even remotely serious about actually using it will obtain a superior alternative ASAP, and keep the stock mic (or antenna, etc.) as a backup.

The MH-67A8J which was included with my used FT-450 surprised me quite a bit. Not only does it have an unusually solid feel to it, but it is actually a proper condenser mic with quite good audio characteristics! It appears to work best with the FT-450 mic EQ set to 0, and the mic gain set to normal or high.

The solid feel of this mic is likely due to the fact that it is actually the stock mic for a number of Vertex commercial radios. It is sold separately by various amateur as well as commercial equipment vendors.

This mic would provide an instant upgrade for any radio currently saddled with the abysmal atrocity known as the MH-31A8J. I cannot figure out why that mic even exists, let alone why it ships with some of the best radios ever made! It uses a dynamic element reminiscent of a stock 1970s CB hand mic, and sounds just as muddy. The MH-67A8J sounds much more clean, clear, and natural.

I have purchased several of the DTMF and remote control mics with the same RJ45 interface (MH-36E8J and MH-59A8J) for the FT-817 and FT-857 respectively. While their condenser elements do offer superior audio to that of the MH-31A8J, they have an unfortunate and surprising level of RFI susceptibility. In my testing, I have found no RFI issues at all with the MH-67A8J so far.

My sample of this mic is apparently about 6 years old, and the cord is in perfect condition. However, the cord on my first MH-36E8J (which is about 12 years old) is deteriorating, and it has not been abused at all. There might be something going on with Yaesu mic cords. Then again, it might just be mic cords in general, as several other brands have deteriorated at our radio club site.

Interestingly, there appear to be multiple 12-key and 16-key DTMF mics in the same series, some of which look very similar to the MH-67A8J...might be worth some research. Too bad they don't have a remote control version for the FT-857...

In summary, this is the best hand mic I have found so far not only for the FT-450, but also for the FT-817 and similar radios. I plan to obtain several more of them.

MM0IMC Rating: 4/5 Dec 22, 2010 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Watch the cable...  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a really good standard microphone, but let down by one small niggle. I've had this microphone and FT-450 for just over a year and the cable is starting to split just next to the strain relief hood where the mike plug goes into the radio.

There is very little strain on this as the microphone is hanging up on the mike hook and the cable is fairly loose. I've no idea if this is a flaw, manufacturing fault or just normal. As far as I can see, it's just the cable's own weight that's done it - highly odd!

K8CEB Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2010 23:04 Send this review to a friend
Best of 2 choices  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have recently switched from my Desk Mic a Yaesu
MD-100 over to this hand held that came with my FT-450. I have received compliments that say they like the sound of my voice BETTER with this mic than with the desk mic. Supposedly the reports say there is more audio presence with this mic than with the desk mic. It's easy to hold for me and not a problem. Very good microphone for this rig. I also have my rigs EQ set to zero. This setting along with the mic seems to sound the best.

MM0IMC Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Good stock microphone!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I prefer using the stock microphone that comes with the radio and this one is no exception. I'm a QRP station due to my licensing limits, but I've worked Europe and North America using this mic fitted to my Yaesu FT-450.

It appears to be an eletret condenser mic, not a dynamic mic (even though you'd think so given it's size).

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2010 04:28 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This mic sounds great on the Yaesu FT450, many very good comments on my audio while using this mic. Mic gain set on High & EQ flat at 0.
Have tried several other mics on the FT450 - the MH-67A8J sounds the best so far. I like the size of the mic, some think it is too large. Feels good in my hands. Have not seen this mic for sale other than with new FT450. 73 K1WJ Dave