Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | DZ Sienna HF Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for DZ Sienna HF Transceiver
DZ Sienna HF Transceiver Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $899
Description: The DZ Sienna is an expandable, configurable, modular HF transceiver kit and/or general coverage receiver (0.5 to 30 mHz). The Sienna includes many state of the art features and options such as high stability oscillators, INRAD and Collins filters, QSK, auto-tuner, QRP or 100 watt transmitter, computer control and/or front panel. While a kit, there is a "built-for-you" purchase option. The Sienna is a modern analog, not DSP design. Specifications include a low noise floor and excellent filtering. There is an optional, well laid out front panel with analog meters and smooth tuning knobs. The basic receiver with no front panel is $899 (computer control required). The full transceiver with most options, factory "assembly support", and an internal PC is in the range of $4,000. Configured as a basic HF transceiver kit with front panel, approximately $2,000. There is Heathkit theme throughout DZ and Sienna to include the assembly manual and the shape of the DZ logo.
More info: http://www.dzkit.com/

You can write your own review of the DZ Sienna HF Transceiver.

XE1ZLG Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 11:47 Send this review to a friend
With upgrades.. NB works perfect." Radio a la Carte "  Time owned: more than 12 months
The only desing mistake was solved with last upgrade hardware and software.. the NB. Now the NB woks perfect... my radio has the sensitivity as described.
No preamp.......... 1 microvolt
First preamp....... 0.4 microvolt
second preamp...... 0.2 microvolt. Measure as 10db/noise ( SN /N ) with 2.4 khz bandwidth and 1 khz cw tone. Also my dradio ( serial number 022 ) ears AM 2500 khz WWVH that my Ftdx5000 can not even detect( with same antenna and both radios without preamps not engaded ). Excellent general coverage TxRx.

Congrats Brian ( Sienna designer )!

K9FOH Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2012 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Quality American HF Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DZKit Sienna is a new HF transceiver for the amateur community. It is a kit and comes in a variety of configurations. The basic unit is a receive-only unit without a front panel and must be operated with a computer. An optional front panel makes the unit a stand-alone receiver. A transmitter may be added to turn the rig into an HF transceiver. The transmitter may be added without the front panel but the transceiver would still require an external computer. A 100-watt amplifier and internal tuner may also be added which will bring the rig up to a full-blown HF transceiver. Full features and specifications may be found at www.dzkit.com

I have been building kits for over 50 years dating back to the days of Knight Kit, Heathkit, and Hallicrafters (yes, the HT-40 transmitter was a kit). Through the years I have lost count of the number of kits I have built, but I cant think of many companies that I have not built at least one of their kits. The list, in no particular order, includes Ramsey, Wilderness Radio, Ten Tec, MFJ, Oak Hills, Hendricks, QRPme, M3Electronix, HES Radio, Weber, Rex Harper, N0XAS, and the Genesis SDR rigs. Im sure I left out some. The builds have ranged from rather easy like the PicoKeyer, to the Genesis series which had been my most challenging up to the Sienna.

The Sienna has been the most comprehensive and challenging that I have built. It has also been the most rewarding and I have a true sense of accomplishment when I turn on the Sienna. Almost like my capstone building project. This review includes my views primarily from a builder/operator rather than a technical review which others are far more qualified to make than I. In no particular order I will highlight my experience focusing on the features that I find impressive.

There are three different manuals: The construction or assembly; operating or users manual; and service manual which includes schematics (60), block diagrams, and troubleshooting guidelines. The manuals are very comprehensive and thorough. DZKit also includes a flash-drive with up-to-date pictorials to aid in the building process.

The actual building is divided into logical assemblies and manual sections include a parts list for that particular board. The sequential build includes check-points to help ensure each section is working properly before moving on to the next phase. The parts are also sorted into individual bags. All surface mount components (except for a few) are mounted prior to leaving DZKit. The build went fairly smoothly and I think I only misplaced one partC36 for C63which is not too bad for someone over 65 with dyslexia. A large, lighted magnifying glass and good temperature controlled soldering iron are a must. Check www.eaesales.com for an excellent selection of soldering tools and accessories. The toroids and transformers are where most building errors crop up and I had a couple of pesky transformer windings shorted. No other significant problems were encountered in the actual build.

The alignment took some time due to the aforementioned wiring errors, a loose RF cable, and a couple of defective surface mount components. The design is open enough to allow good ventilation and includes a fan for the transmitter and a second fan for the PA. With the board layout there is ample room for alignment and troubleshooting. There are what at first glance may appear to be an excessive number of interconnecting cables. This allows for expansion, board swapping, alignment, and troubleshooting, something that far offsets the number of cables. Double checking the cable placement is a must as it is easy to get cables miss-matched, especially the RF cables. I had two cables that were not seated properly (at two different times), one RF cable between front panel and chassis and one feeding RF to the receiver at a different time. However, they were fairly easy to isolate to the suspect board and correct.

Operational features include some that I have not found on any other radio. I have a N3ZN paddle plugged in the rear jack and a K8RA paddle plugged in the front jack. A Kent straight key goes in the rear and a second straight key can be connected front-side. The two paddles are neat to try left and right hand sending without having to rewire a paddle, use a jumper cable, or switch paddles. RS-232 interface control is included and I have my Sienna setup to run with a RF Space SDR-IQ for panoramic display and frequency control. A dedicated mini computer may also be installed in the rig but I am going to opt for a second cabinet and use the extra internal space for an HES Radio level control interface for digital modes. Currently I am using a Heil PR-35 or Pro Set Plus for SSB. Another feature is separate volume controls for the internal speakers and a separate control for the headphones. The main digital frequency display always reads the receive frequency regardless of what the RIT/XIT or split function is set at. Secondary frequencies are displayed in smaller scale below the main frequency. I am still learning all the features but these are the ones that come to mind for my initial review.

The staff at DZKit provides excellent customer support and help with any building problems. While the company may be in its infancy they are up to par with any company I have dealt with including some well-known competitors. It is also nice to have another American company providing amateurs with a quality product. Hopefully, other reviewers will address additional features of this quality transceiver. Bob, K9FOH

XE1ZLG Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2012 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Premium taste HF but need further development  Time owned: more than 12 months
I tried to change my last review of this transceiver... have to say that the radio is awesome, performance is above the Icom 7000, FT 847, Ft 950 and other middle range transceivers ( mine is serial number 022 ) .. AGC ( AGC gain in SSB sets at 202 value ) needs a touch to get good specs ( sensitivity on SSB is 0,8 microvolt with both preamps with 2.8 khz BW ), EXCELLENT-SUPERB selectivity with 6 khz Inrad roofing, my radio has 2.4 khz 10 poles Inrad in the second IF and 5.8 khz Collins third IF ... very articulated and nice SSB sound with 5.8 khz Collins filter in the last IF and very good audio in AM with 20 khz ceramic filteralso in the last IF.... the radio needs further development , noise blanker needs a new desing and other mods made in the fly by Brian.... have to say Brian give super-ultra customer service... Audio recovery on the receiver sound Natural not perfect DSP !!!! No other radio offers a wide options for IF crystal and mechanical filters and color schemes !!!!

XE1ZLG Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2011 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Premium taste HF radio--" a la carte "  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

The radio is first class quality in all ( except noise blanker and the IF band pass filters in AM band .. ) !!! All mechanical encoders and controls knobs feel premium and better than the Ftdx 5000D !! FtDx 5000 panel controls ( knobs ) now feels cheap !! In audio quality much better than Yaesu, AM signal sound " real ;, Inrad filters ( 6 khz AM and 2.4 , 2.8 Khz SSB ) and high quality speakers really does the Job... Essb band Tx audio quality in the same league as the Ftdx 5000. Sensitivity is not in the Ftdx 5000 class but notto far. Excellent good calibration on AGC in SSB.
Only two weak parts of the radio, one is the Bandpass IF filters, it is not very strong... prone to overload only in AM ( 590 khz- 1600 khz ) band and the second .. the Noise blanker is not is the same league as the Ftdx 5000, but works !! Brian gives top notch customer support, replaying soon to email and easy to find by phone.. The other....excellent feature....the is a radio " a la carte ".. you can choose front panel color, kind of pushbuttons and led colors on those... impossible to find in another place..

KE5QDA Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2011 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Ten out of Ten!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This kit transceiver is the best investment I ever made. I had built other brands and not been pleased with the results...sold them on Ebay. The Sienna is in a whole other class. Everything about the Sienna has been meticulously engineered and programmed.

All parts are top quality and suited for their use. They've all been tested before you receive them. And, the manual is easy to read and understand.

Brian provides top-notch support when you hit a snag. Some of us aren't the best at soldering and something is bound to not work. It usually takes about three emails and less than four hours to get past the snags.

The best part is the sound. I can clearly copy CW signals that don't even move the S-meter. Yes, the S-meter is properly calibrated and analog...connected to HRD & Digital Master 780, it can read CW signals as low as S-2. DM780 can't do that with any other transceiver I've had.

You may think I'm crazy in Love...well, I just put on the headset and dial in a faint signal and enjoy listening!

KB0ASQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2010 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this last fall. In all I spent about 40 hours getting it running.

It spanned over 6 months only because I got busy at times with other things.

The manual is top notch. The quality of the components are exceptional and you can't beat the Tech support.

I love the menu system of the Front Panel. I like that a lot of the main functions are just a push button, not a menu item.

I like the fact that when I get the embeded PC I will just be able to unhook a few connections and take it camping or to field day. Last year we had a couple of guys tell us that they spent over an hour getting their rigs hooked back up, with all the PC connections and such.

Great kit designed by an excellent engineer.

You can watch my build at http://w0wwv.org/index.php/board,21.0.html.

Allen
KBASQ

WB6VHK Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 16:18 Send this review to a friend
DZKIT / Sienna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Sienna caught my interest a few years ago when I saw it on the internet and when they became available late last year I purchased one.

Due to financial restrictions I had to start with the "basic" receiver with no front panel ( computer control only ).

Within a week of ordering the kit arrived at my front door. I got to work on it right away and it took me around a week of working a few hours a night to finish it.

Final alignment took around an hour, and after downloading HRD ( Ham Radio Deluxe ) off the net for free, I was ready to go.

I was surprised at how well this radio sounds, Even though I only had the stock filters.

A few weeks later I purchased the front panel kit. ( around 4-5 hours build time) and the transmitter kit ( around 10 hours build time).

It was a very easy straightforward kit to build, Nothing really hard about it. The manual is easy to understand, and it all worked first time!

I might add that this is a very high quality kit. From the knobs and meters to the chassis sheet metal and cabinet it is very impressive

In the near future I plan on adding the computer and the 100 watt amp / tuner as well as a few more filters.

All in all I am very pleased and it is now the main radio in my shack. If you want a fun kit to build ( and a cool radio when you are done) get one, I don't think you will be disappointed.