Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | DZ Sienna HF Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for DZ Sienna HF Transceiver
DZ Sienna HF Transceiver Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $899
Description: The DZ Sienna is an expandable, configurable, modular HF transceiver kit and/or general coverage receiver (0.5 to 30 mHz). The Sienna includes many state of the art features and options such as high stability oscillators, INRAD and Collins filters, QSK, auto-tuner, QRP or 100 watt transmitter, computer control and/or front panel. While a kit, there is a "built-for-you" purchase option. The Sienna is a modern analog, not DSP design. Specifications include a low noise floor and excellent filtering. There is an optional, well laid out front panel with analog meters and smooth tuning knobs. The basic receiver with no front panel is $899 (computer control required). The full transceiver with most options, factory "assembly support", and an internal PC is in the range of $4,000. Configured as a basic HF transceiver kit with front panel, approximately $2,000. There is Heathkit theme throughout DZ and Sienna to include the assembly manual and the shape of the DZ logo.
More info: http://www.dzkit.com/

You can write your own review of the DZ Sienna HF Transceiver.

W6VHK Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 16:18 Send this review to a friend
DZKIT / Sienna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Sienna caught my interest a few years ago when I saw it on the internet and when they became available late last year I purchased one.

Due to financial restrictions I had to start with the "basic" receiver with no front panel ( computer control only ).

Within a week of ordering the kit arrived at my front door. I got to work on it right away and it took me around a week of working a few hours a night to finish it.

Final alignment took around an hour, and after downloading HRD ( Ham Radio Deluxe ) off the net for free, I was ready to go.

I was surprised at how well this radio sounds, Even though I only had the stock filters.

A few weeks later I purchased the front panel kit. ( around 4-5 hours build time) and the transmitter kit ( around 10 hours build time).

It was a very easy straightforward kit to build, Nothing really hard about it. The manual is easy to understand, and it all worked first time!

I might add that this is a very high quality kit. From the knobs and meters to the chassis sheet metal and cabinet it is very impressive

In the near future I plan on adding the computer and the 100 watt amp / tuner as well as a few more filters.

All in all I am very pleased and it is now the main radio in my shack. If you want a fun kit to build ( and a cool radio when you are done) get one, I don't think you will be disappointed.