Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-250 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-250
Yaesu VX-250 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $124.99
Description: Ultra Compact 5 Watt 2 Meter FM Handheld Transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-250.

KE5MOJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2011 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Well made radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio to replace my VX150 that I had given to my wife when she passed her license. This radio is compact, heavy, and well made, plus it is easy to program.

There are some slight variations between the VX150 and this radio. Programming a frequency is a little different but similar, plus operating under memory mode is slightly different. The volume know is larger and easier to turn the radio on and off.

However, I was able to use this radio while on the top of Mount Scott in the Wichita Mountains in Southwest Oklahoma and talk on the Oklahoma City Repeaters about 90 miles away. My wife and I were on opposite ends of the parking lot, she was using the VX170 and had quite a bit of noise when reaching the repeater we were using. I had no noise. Some of the Hams in Oklahoma City I spoke to thought I was near the repeater, until I told them where I was. So I was able to use the same antenna for the VX170 and the VX-250 while reaching the distant repeater. This radio did a far better job. Plus we had a little bit of wind on the top of the mountain and I was still readable.

K7DXT Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2011 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Well-Constructed with a Small Display  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a solid little radio...feels heavy (in a good way) and well made. Programming is fairly straight-forward, but you'll want the book. Receive audio is great...the audio amp feels more than adequate.

If there was a 4.5, I'd rate it. My only complaints are the small display and the small multi-function buttons. Yeah...I'm getting old, but I'd trade a few functions for a simpler radio overall.

The antenna could use to be bnc, but then, I'm probably nitpicking now. Off all the HT's I've had, this one is the most solidly built, and undoubtedly I'd buy another.

I'm surprised there aren't more reviews of this radio...it's been out a while.

IZ1POA Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2011 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Nothing special  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The new vx is, as usual, a solid, cheap enough and handy radio. but the radio is so standard, i mean good full working in heavy duty situations, but a simple vhf with all necessary features, but once again nothing special, i didn't expected the radio to be special and that's what i got. i repeat full working radio, comfortable, good battery, real 5w simple to use. in a word:GOOD.
i owned a vx 170 and comparing the two i say the 250 is more handy for sure! lighter and thiner, maybe better if you carry around a full working day...

It's perfect as a backup radio.

G4TUP Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2010 09:13 Send this review to a friend
Sequel rig to the VX150  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
When Yaesu/Vertex stopped production on the Yaesu VX-150 in 2009, this rig replaced it. All in all the 250 seems extremely similar to the 150 - the only changes I could find were two - a slight styling change and the battery supplied has a larger capacity of 1400mA, the one I received with my 150 was 700mA.

I've owned a VX-150 for well over two years now, and if the 150's superb preformance is anything to go by the 250 will be a winner too! (see the VX-150 reviews for details of that great performance).

N7VOJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Great little 2 meter HT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently picked up one of these radios. It was really easy to program and the audio on it is wonderful. I have received nothing but good audio reports while using it on the repeaters here in Phoenix. It is indeed a compact radio, but not to the point where a person can't read the display or see the keys. Great rig for beginners or experienced hams that want an easy to use mono-band handheld.