Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna
CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $199
Description: CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™

Covers 6m, 10m, 11m (Citizens Band), 12m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 30m, 40m, 60m & 80m +2M/1.25M/70cm (144MHz – 500MHz)

Description:

As our excellent CHAMELEON V1 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™, the optimal antenna length for Ham Radio frequencies is 102” as this represents one quarter of a wavelength. However, mounting a 102” (8.5 foot) antenna to a vehicle is usually not always an option. The V2 is made for vehicles without available strong antenna mount support locations, height restrictions due to low overhead obstacles or just an esthetical look. Made of premium fiberglass tubing and at approximately 4’2” high, our CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™ has been designed specifically to address those very common problems. Designed with a similar coil traps system technology used for the Chameleon V1, the Chameleon V2 doesn’t require any adjustments on the antenna after installation. To change the operating band the operator will only have to activate an antenna tuner. The Chameleon V2 is 50% smaller that our Chameleon V1 and offers an HF/VHF/UHF antenna alternative for Ham operators desiring to have HF/VHF/UHF capability on their vehicles. Due to its short length (4’2”), the better the ground plane, the higher the antenna on the vehicle and better will be TX/RX performances. Good mobile antenna knowledge and proper antenna installation (grounding and ground plane) are required for good Chameleon V2 performances. Mounting location is a difficult topic to advise upon due to each individual’s unique circumstances and preferences. As for general guidelines and optimal performances, 2/3 of the antenna should be above the roofline. An antenna mounted higher on the vehicle tends to perform better. And it will be critical that the antenna mount be well grounded to the vehicle chassis because it is the “metallic” masse right under the antenna and not on the side of it that define a good ground plane.

CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™ Specifications:

Frequency Range: 80/60/40/30/20/17/15/12/11/10/6M + 2M/1.25M/70cm (144MHz – 500MHz).

Max Power: 150W
Connectors: 3/8-24
Size: 4' 2” High
Requires a Tuner
More info: http://www.chameleonantenna.com

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna.

KD6LSJ Rating: 3/5 Aug 20, 2013 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Vehicular and coaxial dependent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update - I owned the Chameleon V2 for 2 years on my Chevy Suburban. Well, it came time to sell my Suburban and I got a Chevy Cruze. It is a decent sized 4 door car, but nothing near the size of the old Suburban. now this isn't so much a story about vehicles, but more about how antennas behave when mounted on a different vehicle. I know a lot about how to make mobile antennas work, but never have I had such a challenge to making the V2 work on one. You might have read my prior review, antenna shootout. In it I compared many antennas on the Suburban, without mentioning the size of my vehicle as the ground. I still use the BEST MOUNT EVER from
http://amateurradiostore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_4&products_id=5 and get contacts on 17 meters, but I can no longer make QSOs on 40 meters at all, forget 80 meters, and occasionally I make a 20 meter contact. Chameleon Antennas share similar design characteristics, basically a wire helically wound around fiberglass with an UnUn, though some have a stinger or just a wire attached to the UnUn. I was contacted by Carl after writing original review, who both defended his antenna and confirmed that they are coaxial dependent. Carl helped me more fully understand why the Chameleon Antennas have several reviews that say the the Chameleon Antenna line is ground plain and coaxial dependent. Here is what Carl confirmed; "the length of the coax cable is important like in any antenna installations. We were recommending between 20' to 25' of RG-8X at the time because the operator would use the excess of the cable and create a RFI choke (10', 7 turns of coax) that he would install right under the UNUN inside the car to prevent or fix a RFI problem. That technique was specially useful when people were using none-metallic cars like Saturn or other none metallic vehicles." Carl then went on to tell me they sell an RFI Choke for places where a poor ground plane exists, though I would like to point out that the Chevy I bought is metallic. As for installing a choke, i do not have RFI issues plus I have always thought of chokes as a way of converting RF from a compromise antenna into heat before it can get back to a transceiver. Any mobile installation presents a scenario where the antenna is a compromise, though r V2 became too compromising when not mounted to my Suburban. One last test I performed, to confirm the V2 was still working, was that I took the antenna over to my buddy who bought the Suburban and got his ham license recently, and it still worked on the big ole Suburban but not on my 4 door Chevy. So I gave it to my friend.

KD8STJ Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2013 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Great way to get on all bands  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Me: I've been a ham for almost a year so i am new to the hobby this is just my honest opinion on the v2.
I am only a tech a friend helped me try out this antenna on other bands. He was stunned at how well it performs.
I Love the antenna, it tunes on everything but 160 with my installation using the unun, bought it used with a whole set up, for now it is running as my base antenna on a 25 foot pole. have talked from ohio, to puerto rico, california, the virgin islands and more that i can't recall at the moment. Love the antenna it does what it advertises and does it well, in an antenna class that i have been told is often less than impressive. love the feedback from Carl and love the product.

WB4KTF Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2012 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Works OK and is build very well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
We are using our V2 on top of our office building (on the 6th floor roof) for our club station W5ABB, where it works well considering it is really only about 8ft tall. I do have the 9:1 Balun that comes from Chameleon to help the antenna tuner match faster and better. We had a problem with the antenna (mechanical issue) a few days ago so we contacted Chameleon to check how they might handle a warranty issue. Carl responded within minutes back by email, asked what was our problem, and then advised that they would replace the bottom section under warranty, we paid just $15 for the shipping and the new replacement base section arrived 2 days later. Now I call that great service.
4.5/5 is how I'd score the antenna.

KC7ZWG Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2012 13:21 Send this review to a friend
More than just an antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used the V2 for a month or so now, it works as advertised, though it seems to enhance the selectivity of any rig I connect it to...
The noise floor on this antenna has consistently measured lower than others I have compared it to,
through field strength tests, and on the air experience show me that this antenna is superior to many others

It appears to be built quite well, has standard 3/8x24 mounting.

The V2 has been upgraded to the "V2L" as indicated on the Chameleon Antenna website.

Chameleon staff is very communicative, shipping was 2 days for me, and there is an online forum where you can read others experiences, etc.,

In short, you are getting more than just an antenna ...

KI5SO Rating: 3/5 Oct 11, 2011 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Gets you on the air..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm still playing with this antenna on my Prius. I have a spring and a k400 heavy duty mount on the hatchback of the car on one side on the high side. I have made a contact on 10 meters and it's pretty hot on 20 meters. I can tune all bands from 80 to 6 meters with the AT-7000 tuner. The Prius puts out a lot of interference noises on 80 meters so it's impossible to hear while driving down the road. I can hear from 40 to 6 on the road. It will receive strong signals while parked but I haven't made any contacts on 80 meters nor 40 meters yet. It is not a good CB antenna so far as I can tell. It will tune up on the band but the signals are weak. The opening comment at the top of the page says that 102" is a quarter wave on ham bands and is the best...no, it is a quarter wave on 11 meters. A quarter way on a ham band is that frequency divided into 234. Anyway, I think when the next solar cycle comes in full bore the antenna will serve me well on the road. For the price, it is doing ok, but I seriously wonder if a 102" whip tuned with a tuner like the AT-7000 wouldn't work just as good and cost 80% less? Of course, it would be a lot longer and be a hassle on a small Toyota Prius. This is my objective review. If anything changes I'll come back and revise this.

W1RSF Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2011 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommend  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love my Chameleon V2 HF antenna. Mine is paired with the LDG Z-100Plus auto-tuner, MFJ -910 antenna matcher and mounted on a Military Shakespeare 4244 mount on my 2007 Jeep Wrangler 4 door.

I was looking for a rugged form factor multi-band HF antenna after break two antennas off the jeep. While considering to mounting a screw driver antenna I saw the Chameleon V1 at a TEMA/MARS exercise. The owners suggested researching the Chameleon line of antennas for my application. I was extremely excited when I found the 4’ V2. This was short enough to allow daily driver and limited off-road use while providing multi-band capability.

This antenna performs on par with the 12’ fiberglass Military whip designed to use on the 4244 mount. My LDG auto-tuner can obtain a 1:1 match on most ham frequencies and with the added MFJ antenna matcher it allows me to work my MARS frequencies too.
I highly recommend this antenna to anyone looking for a small form factor that is rugged enough to use on an off road vehicle.

Rick – W1RSF

ROB1955 Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2011 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna on my fishing boat!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This small antenna is perfect for outdoor activities when toughness, robustness and versatility is required.

I've installed mine at the front tip of my Princecraft Yukon 15 aluminum fishing boat. I'm using a spring coil under it and the water proof unun. The unun input is grounded to the boat and the antenna tunes perfectly from 10M to 80M. I did a coax choke right under the unun because I had some RFI. Since I did it the RFI is gone!

I really like this antenna because I can use the FRS/GMRS frequencies with the family for check-in and switch back to HF under 5 seconds.

The quality build of the V2 is excellent! It's made to resist off-road trip and direct hit caused by branches along the river and the lake.

Because of its size it is very important to either ground the input of the unun to the boat or the connector output of the tuner to the boat. When properly grounded this antenna works great.

You can't compare the V2 with a full size dipole or a yagi antenna. But who wants to install a full dipole to a fishing boat anyway?

For its size the V2 is a very handy. When I'm done with the fishing day I pop back the V2 on the truck and drive home still enjoying some HF and some talk with friends and family over the FRS/GMRS frequencies.

VERY RECOMMENDED because it's a fraction of a screwdriver cost which will break over time due to mechanical parts and the customer service from the folks at Chameleon Antenna (Carl) is probably the best in the industry!

KC2NBE Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2011 10:55 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the V2 over a year ago out of curiosity. I had already owned 2 V1's configured as a dipole. My first contact on the V2, I was mobile in New Brunswick, NJ. I heard a station station calling CQ on 20 meters, I threw my call got a 59 report, chatted a bit. Not until I got home did I realize the station was in South Dakota! Since then I've logged quite a number of stations that I thought would never hear me, Italy and Sarajevo from downtown Brooklyn, Texas from Rochester NY on 20 and 40 meters. When I got it I was told not to expect the same performance as a V1. Well, I'd say it performs quite well as a V1. I just got a V4 and can't wait to try it out. GREAT JOB!

KF7YN Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2011 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Surprising performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All things must be put in perspective when comparing apples to apples. HF mobile antennas < 24 MHz are a compromise (all in accordance to the laws of physics vs practicality).

I mounted the V2 on my new Silverado 2500 HD last week on the left front fender with heavy duty L bracket. Not the optimum height but it is far enough away from the cab to somewhat lessen obstruction issues. My rig is Icom 706MK2-G with LDG Z11-Pro tuner. I immediately heard a UA in Moscow talking to Italy on 20M. Grayline was strong! My first contacts were S Dakota and Nebraska. They gave me 5x9 and 5x7 respectively. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Took a road trip last week to Wyoming and E Utah. Worked WV on 20M and So Cal on 10M right off the bat. I listened mostly but the usual yappers on 14.295 were very strong.

As indicated by Chameleon, good electrical grounding is essential. The LDG tuner does better without the 9:1 un-un for whatever reason but tunes up fast on all bands. I use a heavy duty spring and a Breedlove Machine Shop antenna ball mount which is superb quality. http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/r/breedlove1/page27.html

I may buy the V1 for when I'm camping, Field Day, etc.

Anyway, I love it so far and will post some pics soon as it stops raining here in SLC!

73's, Jon KF7YN

KB7SKZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2011 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent antenna. I have already made a few contacts with this antenna. I currently have it mounted on my truck bed for my mobile HF rig. I would highly recommend this antenna to anyone, and you most certainly can NOT beat the price. It is a heck of a lot cheap than the screwdriver antennas.

I am seriously considering on purchasing the V11 and/or V3 antenna for my home QTH.

I is extremely important to have a really good ground and a decent antenna tuner for the set up. I am currently operating an Icom 706 with a LDG IT-100 tuner.

Once again... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!